Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have been lurking for a few days and have first bike question. I have rode dirt bikes in the past and I am now considering a street bike. I am trying to decide between a GSX R600 or the CBR 600RR. BTW, I'm not a small dude, I'm 6' and 240 :yikes: . Hope to get down to 210 soon. I'm also not a youngster, 32. I'm trying to get feedback on what which bike is more user friendly. Also, I have every intention of taking the motorcyle safety course before I buy a bike. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Welcome to TWF....Thoses are a few great choices there. Besides dirt, have you ever been on a street bike before? I would say to go with the GSXR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
I was looking at all the 2005 600s. I've read every single review in every magazine. It you can, pick up them, although you'd have to probably go to the local library since the issues were like February and March that they did the reviews in. I like the Cycle World review best. The Gixxer wasn't rated as high as the CBR (Sorry GSXR750 :sorry: ) but the Honda got like the second best our of the Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and the Triumph.

The dealer by me (right now) took $500 off the price of the CBR600RR to knock it down to $8499.00 because they have so many and they are not selling as well as the Yamaha. I asked about the Gixxer and both dealers said since they've come out, they've sold one.

I've also talked to this guy that I know who races down in New Mexico and been doing so for like 5+ years, he told me that (at least I) should stay away from the Gixxer cause of a couple of reasons since I was looking for my first street bike. Don't ask all the reasons but I know that he did say that the powerband on the Gixxer is not a good as the CBR or the Yamaha.

That's just my :2cents: but you'll get different opinions from everyone.

Yes D, Jeeps and GasMan, it's PWJ...

Sorry if I hurt someones feelings about the Gixxer. :sorry:

Grafixx

PS--> I wonder if I can change my name to PWJ without changing everything? Can I?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
Welcome to TWF....Thoses are a few great choices there. Besides dirt, have you ever been on a street bike before? I would say to go with the GSXR.
It's been quite a while since I last rode anything on the street. I'm not looking to race or anything like that, just looking for a hobby that I would enjoy and a good way to relieve stress. My gf does not want me to get a bike, something about calling me old :nonod: but she is really just worried I guess, but like I said, I just want a nice sports bike for myself, as we plan to move to NC early next year, they have a lot of nice roads down there for riding as opposed to the Baltimore area where we are now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grafixx01 said:
I was looking at all the 2005 600s. I've read every single review in every magazine. It you can, pick up them, although you'd have to probably go to the local library since the issues were like February and March that they did the reviews in. I like the Cycle World review best. The Gixxer wasn't rated as high as the CBR (Sorry GSXR750 :sorry: ) but the Honda got like the second best our of the Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and the Triumph.

The dealer by me (right now) took $500 off the price of the CBR600RR to knock it down to $8499.00 because they have so many and they are not selling as well as the Yamaha. I asked about the Gixxer and both dealers said since they've come out, they've sold one.

I've also talked to this guy that I know who races down in New Mexico and been doing so for like 5+ years, he told me that (at least I) should stay away from the Gixxer cause of a couple of reasons since I was looking for my first street bike. Don't ask all the reasons but I know that he did say that the powerband on the Gixxer is not a good as the CBR or the Yamaha.

That's just my :2cents: but you'll get different opinions from everyone.

Yes D, Jeeps and GasMan, it's PWJ...

Sorry if I hurt someones feelings about the Gixxer. :sorry:

Grafixx

PS--> I wonder if I can change my name to PWJ without changing everything? Can I?
I like the CBR, I kinda feeling it. I like it even more if they cut a deal, my buddy at work just bought a 636 as a first bike. I'm looking for a 600 because, I don't need to go that fast, and I not trying to kill myself, I would rather work my way up to the bigger bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
Ah, Danger H, that is my feelings on the matter also. I don't particularly care for the Kawi or the Suzuki. You should check out some of the other threads that I started since I was looking at getting my first bike too. I had a lot of questions answered by the wonderful people on this forum. Everyone helps you out, it's great.

Just look for posts in this "Beginner's Corner" that were started by me. You should get a few insights from EVERYONE. I'm just partial to the Yamaha and the Honda.

Grafixx
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
All the 600's are so close its hard to say any is best.
This is the order I would buy, first being my favorite.
GSXR 6
6R
6RR
636R
SVS650
FZ
Do I need to keep going?:whistle:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grafixx01 said:
Ah, Danger H, that is my feelings on the matter also. I don't particularly care for the Kawi or the Suzuki. You should check out some of the other threads that I started since I was looking at getting my first bike too. I had a lot of questions answered by the wonderful people on this forum. Everyone helps you out, it's great.

Just look for posts in this "Beginner's Corner" that were started by me. You should get a few insights from EVERYONE. I'm just partial to the Yamaha and the Honda.

Grafixx
Ok, Thanks, man, this forum is the shiznit, nice to be able to get help and support when you need it. I'll do as you suggest and read your threads, Thanks. :twfrox:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
Your age and size have nothing to do with experience to handle a street motorcycle. I believe either the GSXR or the RR would be a poor choice as your first bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
Danger H,

You're welcome for the information. Have fun reading the threads and in this forum. I love it cause everyone is so helpful. But then again, I do have "PW" with everything so...

Anyways, you also have to remember that everyone has personal preference so I'd go sit on the bikes at the dealer. I found that the R6 has the most comfortable seat (though they can be replaced) and the 600RR had the hardest seat. I wouldn't go with the GSXR for my first bike, just because a ton of people here and other places have advised me that it is not a good beginner bike.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
DLITALIEN,

What do you drive now? I figured from your icon that you would drive a Yamaha now, do you? I like the icon by the way.

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Danger H said:
I like the CBR, I kinda feeling it. I like it even more if they cut a deal, my buddy at work just bought a 636 as a first bike. I'm looking for a 600 because, I don't need to go that fast, and I not trying to kill myself, I would rather work my way up to the bigger bikes.
I think you have the wrong idea about 600cc sportbikes.Their almost as fast as a 1000cc bike.
Maybe you need to START with a ninja 250 or 500 if you don't need to go fast... :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
r1sharknose said:
I think you have the wrong idea about 600cc sportbikes.Their almost as fast as a 1000cc bike.
Maybe you need to START with a ninja 250 or 500 if you don't need to go fast... :2cents:
Well, I would like to go fast enough, I'm not trying to go over a 100 I should say, and once I buy a bike, I don't want to have to buy another for a few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
I'd say the GSXR 500 is the best lookin 500cc bike, then it just goes down hill. A lot of bikes loose their appeal after 600cc's in my opinion. But, to each his own.
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
DLITALIEN said:
I'd say the GSXR 500 is the best lookin 500cc bike, then it just goes down hill. A lot of bikes loose their appeal after 600cc's in my opinion. But, to each his own.
Do you mean the GS500F?
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
r1sharknose said:
I think you have the wrong idea about 600cc sportbikes.Their almost as fast as a 1000cc bike.
Maybe you need to START with a ninja 250 or 500 if you don't need to go fast... :2cents:
I think what he saying is don't under estimate the power of these new 600's.... they are FAST bikes! And will get you triple digits faster than you can think about not doing it!
 

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
Joined
·
20,168 Posts
:iagree: I had forgotten how fast a 600 is, till this past weekend when I cut loss my wives Gixxer 600. :yikes: :redevil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Gas Man said:
I think what he saying is don't under estimate the power of these new 600's.... they are FAST bikes! And will get you triple digits faster than you can think about not doing it!
I'll vouch for this one, Danger. I'm riding an SV650S, which has about 2/3 the power that either the R6 or 600RR are going to, and that thing hits triple digits easily and 60/70mph is really only an eye-blink away at any given time. I've found myself clipping up the street at 60 a couple times without realizing it...(4th gear is not made for surface streets)

I'm a big proponent of the SV for a starter bike myself. I think the SS type 600s are going to be quite a BIT more than what you've stated you're looking for. My short list would be:

SV650(S) - Suzuki
GS500F - Suzuki
Katana 600 - Suzuki
ZZR600 - Kawasaki
Ninja 500r - Kawasaki
ZR-7S - Only made in 2000/2001 I believe
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top