Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, sometimes my engine shuts off while riding in first gear. I was wondering if i were suppoesd to hang on to my clutch while in 1st gear or not? sometimes, when i ride in first gear, i release the clutch all the way and the engine still runs, but sometimes it shuts off.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Well your not to hang on to the clutch but release it and use the throttle to be sure not to stall it. But if your riding and not going fast enough to shift and it just stalls...then you may need to get it checked out.

When it is running or shutting off...is then when you are a stand still or moving???

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Is it doing this when you try to take off? Does it lurch first, and then die, or does it just die? If you're trying to take off and the bike lurches and then dies, you probably aren't giving it enough throttle. Have you ever driven a stick shift car, or have you only driven automatics? If only autos, then you may not be used to the fact that you have to apply a certain amount of throttle while releasing the clutch. It will take some practice. I suggest finding an empty parking lot and just practicing starting out in first. Once you get moving, stop and then start out again. You'll get used to it.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Tach it up, drop the clutch and hang on - that will solve it.. Seriously though it sounds like you are not giving enough gas or making a smooth enough transition.. Typically most inexperienced riders or drivers with a bike or manual trans in a car just want to give a little gas and let off the clutch way too quick.. You need to learn to be a little smoother - more gas and slower release on the clutch..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, i will try to rev the throttle more while releasing the clutch more slow. thank you...

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
duma said:
thank you, i will try to rev the throttle more while releasing the clutch more slow. thank you...
No problem. It is usually a common problem and not knowing your riding skill but assuming that you are just starting out I would say that would be the problem - pay much attention to the clutch hand - don't just let off - slowly release it - it is more of a feel thing. Alot of people just starting out give it a little gas to get going and just let go of the clutch. Don't do that. See if that helps and if you still have a problem then maybe it is a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
its all about give n take..equal amounts of easing off the clutch and easing onto the throttle with the opposite hand..and once you feel it grab and you start moving... get off the clutch, smoothly..dont ride it. you'll be fine! practice makes perfect. but word to the wise, when you do stall it, dont get frustrated, just take a second to compose yourself if u feel the need, and try it again.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
duma said:
but doesnt this make it a wheelie? the part where u give it a full throttle?

well yeah, if ur not careful.... ;) they're just messing w/ ya :D

all it takes is practice on starting out and u'll be good to go..then one day, when ur ready, u can crack that throttle alot more and u'll get that previously mentioned wheelie. :cool:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
duma said:
That depends alot on what your riding too. She might just want to leap out from under ya a little. Just give her enough throttle to keep the engine running smooth as you let her out, the further out, the little more throttle and just opposite as you pull the clutch back in, just a little quicker.

Sometimes it's hard to seperate out the humor around here :crazy:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
duma said:
2,000 is no wheelie? That is just above idle. Who said full throttle? Don't do that. Just ease the throttle and ease off the clutch - don't drop it. 2,000 is a good marker. Better to ride the clutch out (i.e. have it partially engaged as you release) then to just let go.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I can't imagine trying to explain something that you should know before even buying a bike. Nobody should be riding a bike unless they can drive a stick shift car in their sleep!

This is something that shouldn't be a problem to a bike owner...no offense!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
you gotta learn somehow though right..better to ask then to go out in traffic and just wing it.

but he's right,..u should take that bike to a school parking lot on a sunday afternoon when no one is around, and just practice starting and stopping..upshifting and downshifting..till ur comfortable with it enough to go out on the road. when ur out, alot of things are flying at you at once, and u have to stay composed as a new rider and not get frustrated. just do ur own thing and practice.... and the MSF will do wonders for ur skill, knowledge and confidence.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts