Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following Repeal of Helmet Law, Motorcycle Fatalities Drop in Pa.

by KYW’s Tony Romeo
PennDot says the number of motorcycle fatalities in 2004 -- the first full year after a change in state law allowed adults over age 21 to ride without a helmet –- decreased from the previous year.

Pennsylvania’s helmet law was repealed as of September 2003, and PennDot spokesman Steve Chizmar says the number of motorcycle fatalities actually dropped by 14 the following year:

“In 2004, there were 157 motorcyclist fatalities, and that compares to 2003, when 171 motorcyclists lost their lives.”

But Chizmar says the total number of Pennsylvania motorcycle fatalities in 2004 was still higher than the total of 140 in 2002 and 127 in 2001 -- the last two full years that the helmet law was in effect.

Of the 157 fatalities that occurred last year, there were 70 victims who wore no helmet, 73 who did wear a helmet, two who used an improper helmet, six who used a helmet improperly, and there were six cases in which the helmet usage is not known.

http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=46424

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Personally I always wear a helmet, but it's your egg, your choice :dthumb:

:seeya: Jeff

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm not sure what to say.... don't let ABATE see that info...they'll spin it all out of whack!

·
Registered
667 Posts
These results are interesting and not what I expected. I guess wearing/not wearing a helmet does not inherently mean helmet usage will lead to an accident. Honestly, I could care less if MI helmet law is repealed because I will wear one regardless. I am more concerned with how insurance rates will be affected. I think I'll research what impact this repeal had on PA. insurance rates.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
EIDROEDYR said:
These results are interesting and not what I expected. I guess wearing/not wearing a helmet does not inherently mean helmet usage will lead to an accident. Honestly, I could care less if MI helmet law is repealed because I will wear one regardless. I am more concerned with how insurance rates will be affected. I think I'll research what impact this repeal had on PA. insurance rates.
:withstupi It will just give the inurance company 1 more excuse to charge us more!

·
Registered
893 Posts
The frustrating thing with all these statistics is that ... they're meaningless.

If I fall off my bike at 15mph and don't hit my head ... it doesn't matter if I'm wearing a helmet or not.

If I fall at the same speed, and hit a curb with my head, that wearing a helmet thing is going to be a bit more important.

There are simply too many variables in a fall to issue any blanket statement such as "Not wearing a helmet means you're going to be injured/killed vs. wearing one will save your life". Nevermind that "fatality" doesn't include "brain damaged" or "paralized".

No one does a comprehensive analysis that only includes head injuries as the cause of injury or death. A helmet doesn't protect your neck or spine ... I'd wager a number of motorcycle fatalities are caused by factors other than head injuries. Also factor in that alcohol continues to be a huge factor in many motorcycle accidents.

Now ... mind you, I personally would never ride without a helmet, I just don't buy into the BS statistics the various pro and anti helmet law groups use.

- Roach

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ve always worn a helmet. I think my skull is a little important to me. I agree with the statistics being bs. Lets factor in how many people slip and fall on ice covered stairs and hit thier head and die. Opps they didnt have their helmet on while shoveling thier stairs. I look at it this way. If you want to die, they go ahead. I ll watch. If you want to die and make me die, then we have a problem. But dont tell me that I cant die, if I want to die. If I think its too uncool to wear a helmet and want to take that risk. Then go ahead and scrape me off the meat slicer on the side of the eway when I crash, dont pay my insurance claim and just throw my limp body to the animals. Hell dont even bother coming out to clean me up. Just move my bike out of the way of oncoming traffic and finish going to work. While I am at not wearing a helmet, I ll be wearing shorts, sandals and a tank top, possibly no top. Oh hell I ll just ride in my speedo with no shoes or shirt. :bash:

Seriuosly though, I rode last year to Norwalk for the Procycle event. I meet up with a couple of guys and got into Ohio ( from Michigan ) stopped for fuel and they took thier brain buckets off. I didnt. But on the way back I rode about 20 miles with no helmet on the turnpike at 70 mph. Just the deafening sound was enough to make me want to put a cover on my "grape". But after a few tractor trucks passed me at 80 mph. I pulled over and put the helmet on.

While riding around town or down the street may not be bad, I wouldnt go outside my street without a helmet. Too many "other" people out there not caring or paying attention to me when on my bike. But when I am in my 10,000 lbs diesel truck, they seem to notice and respect me a little more. Go figure....... :skep:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know about most accidents, but the one lowside I had in traffic would have shredded my face or killed me w/o a helmet - I was sliding on the pavement with my head on the curb. The whole left side of my helmet was scraped down to paint, the faceshield was carved up and the left earpiece was gone. That would have s**ked w/o a helmet.

<---------- This beautiful face would have been ruined!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ya, even if you would have had only a brain bowl on...you would have been screwed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts