Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everyone,

This thread is not aimed specifically at anything. It is just my advice that if you are in the market for a new lid, then you should definitely pick up the JUNE issue of MOTORCYCLIST Magazine. They do a review of lids as well as telling you about the testing that the DOT/SNELL put the lids through. They then rate some of the top ones, which to my surprise the "ARAI" wasn't really that good. The two ICON lids : Mainframe (P) and Alliance (F) were top lids in the DOT & SNELL approved lids.

And NO, the (P) and (F) are not pass/fail, they are "Polycaronate" and "Fiberglss" shell materials.

But seriously, it's a good read. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and I know some of you will be surprised at what goes on during the testings.

G

PS--> You can probably find it online at Motorcyclist Online . When I checked they still had the MAY issue on it, so you'll have to look for one that has "Naked Boulevard Rockets '05 First Rides" on the cover.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DLITALIEN,

The review posted the Scorpion EXO-700 with a rating at 211Gs (G-forces like a jet) but the Scorpion EXO-400 had a rating of 187Gs.

The magazine says the LOWER the Gs the better protection! You may want to save yourself the 80 bucks and put it towards something else?

G

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
DLITALIEN,

The review posted the Scorpion EXO-700 with a rating at 211Gs (G-forces like a jet) but the Scorpion EXO-400 had a rating of 187Gs.

The magazine says the LOWER the Gs the better protection! You may want to save yourself the 80 bucks and put it towards something else?

G
:scratch: :skep:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Its a large debate on what makes a helmet work better... stiffer shell, softer insides, whatnot... You can't take one test as gospel. Great article in m/c though, and even they say (either in that issue or in the backfires of the next issue) that the helmets all perform in different ways and they ways they tested them may not be best for all types.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
To paraphrase the axiom "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten", "The fit of the helmet is remembered long after the G-force number is forgotten". That's why I like my Shoei and why others like Arai.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One thing i am glad of is i went with a size smaller helmet when i bought the scorpion. i am ashamed to admit I had been riding with a helmet that was too big. i did not realize it until i read the sizing instructions on scorpions web site. the helmet felt right to me at the time. the scorpion site does a good job of describing how to tell if it is too big in my opinion.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
lucky said:
One thing i am glad of is i went with a size smaller helmet when i bought the scorpion. i am ashamed to admit I had been riding with a helmet that was too big. i did not realize it until i read the sizing instructions on scorpions web site. the helmet felt right to me at the time. the scorpion site does a good job of describing how to tell if it is too big in my opinion.
That's a common mistake!
Most buy what feels good at the time and don't account for a season of riding. That's fine if you want to buy a new one every year.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Every new helmet should feel slightly too tight when you try it on. Not to the point where it is unbearable just a little tight. That way when it breaks in, it's just right.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Gas Man said:
Every new helmet should feel slightly too tight when you try it on. Not to the point where it is unbearable just a little tight. That way when it breaks in, it's just right.
:withstupi i have large and a med. the large is to fit a balaclava for the cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts