Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend went down today, he's ok. I feel bad for him tho. He just bought his katana last month and he has only rode maybe 5 times. He just put a jet kit, new chain, sprocket and a new paint job on it over the weekend. Today was his first day out since the paint job.

Someone told him to pull up a wheelie, and he nodded his head no. He just got his permit last month, and never really rode a bike before. I guess he decided to show off in first gear, so he romped back on the throttle in 1st gear and tried to go to second, but he didn't make it. He basically clutched up a wheelie in 1st gear. He 12 O'clocked it and flew right off that back. Check out his f'd up bike, and road rash.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewloc5150
Pics of Katana

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah that isn't any good!

What type of gear or lack of gear was he wearing?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He just bought the joe rocket jacket, 1st time out and he ruins it, his visor on the helmet is scuffed, he was wearing jeans, , and he had the gloves in the jacket, but he wasn't wearing them.

It shows all in the linked pics.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah the gear was hard to make out... I seen the jacket... didn't think he was wearing gloves due to the pics...

WHY O WHY wasn't he wearing the gloves?

I hope he get's well and get's his bike back together. Why don't you have him register here?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:twfrox: I sent him an message when he got the bike home, and he said he was going to get some new shoes, and crutches.

The gloves.... it was just one of those excuses... its too hot.

and I told him I posted his crash on TWF, and sent him the link, I asked him to join TWF, and he said he will when he gets back tonight.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Too hot is never a excuse!

If you're that concerned about heat/cold comfort..get some different gear for different temps!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I told him I always wear mine no matter how hot it is. I just got off the phone with him, he said his knee and arm is killin him now. I guess the adrenalin rush went away.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That always happens in any type of crash...car or bike

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
:sorry: to hear about the crash!
I wish him well! :luck:
Some thing you learn the hard way and expensive for him after just doing all that work. :cursin:

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he just wants to get it "rideable again" he said he will worry about the paint and fairings later. I don't think he will ride for a few days till the pain goes down

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm that guy. Talk about bad luck, redo the whole thing and then wreck it 2 days later. :nonod: but on a lighter note road rash look not as bad after cleaning. But my knee is swollen and my bad wrist is starting to hurt. Lets pray nothing is broken. :angelhap:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Welcome to TWF.. sorry about your mishap.. but ya live and learn, its all part of riding.. be careful out there and get back in the saddle soon.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Are we starting to see the pattern here?? New bike, first time rider, tries to exceed riding ability, showing off, speed, twisties etc., and falls within the first 3 months?

·
Registered
893 Posts
bumblebee said:
Are we starting to see the pattern here?? New bike, first time rider, tries to exceed riding ability, showing off, speed, twisties etc., and falls within the first 3 months?
Let's go easy on the gentleman. :) Yes, this is a common pattern, but I think he's probably learned his lesson. Fortunately, that lesson was not too bad. It could have been much worse.

KatanaMan, leather jacket and gloves are a must. Road rash would have either been severely reduced or almost none at all. There are plenty of perforated jackets out there that allow air through the jacket to cool you down. Worry about safety gear first, bike second. It's nice to have a beautiful bike, but keeping yourself safe is most important.

Heal up quickly and welcome to TWF! :welcome:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yea it was pretty stupid to not where my gloves. I had them in my jacket pocket. :cursin:
But to clear things up I actually wasn't showing off. There was one peson that even saw the thing. I had been sputtering so I pulled over to check things out. Everything was fine so I figured where the jet kit had just been put on that it needed to be tweeked. I had the bike at high rpm in first listening not really giving it that much thought. Went ahead and went to switch to second and romp down. Either I didnt click hard enough up or my mind said one thing and my foot did nothing. Either way, I wasnt really ready for a wheelie since I havent ridden one yet and was seriously planning on just taking off. Took me by complete surprise. :loser:
Good news is Im still here, swelling is down in the knee (I can walk this morning, minus the hobbling from the road rash bending), and I definately know always where my gloves and NEVER clutch in first, even if by accident, lol.
BTW does anybody have any suggestions on road rash. This stuff burns. Pictures dont show it that well, but there is actually only a few red spots. Most of it didnt go deep, just that very top layer, and that stuff burns.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts