Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas Man said:
$11 is cheap S&H for a full system...
You have to keep in mind that a Ti Force is a top of the line system and doesn't weigh as much as lot of the other full systems would (which is how UPS determines how much it costs to ship something). Plus, Michigan isn't very far away from us in "UPS" zones...I think you guys/gals are about 2 days away. :)

Laura

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well, they also go by the dimensions of the box. So even light boxes that are big go as heavy packages... but whatever...either way.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gas Man said:
Well, they also go by the dimensions of the box. So even light boxes that are big go as heavy packages... but whatever...either way.
Really? Wow ... I wish I had known that! :wink:

The TiForce system fits in a box smaller than OS1, so it's billed at standard weight. We do ship a few things with UPS :)

- Roach

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I know FedEx is horrible for this. You take the 2 small # dimensions times them by 2 and add them together plus the other larger dimension. So like this...

2 x 4 x 6 box (2x2)+(4x4)+6 = 26 I believe (off the top of my head for FedEx) anything over 108 is shipped at a 35# weight rating and anything over 120 is at a 50# rating and so on...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gas Man said:
I know FedEx is horrible for this. You take the 2 small # dimensions times them by 2 and add them together plus the other larger dimension. So like this...

2 x 4 x 6 box (2x2)+(4x4)+6 = 26 I believe (off the top of my head for FedEx) anything over 108 is shipped at a 35# weight rating and anything over 120 is at a 50# rating and so on...
UPS has the same sort of thing ... it's a formula based on height/width/length, but it's done in tiers - normal, OS1, OS2 (and OS3, but we never have anything that big - a full set of bodywork is OS2).

After shipping a few hundred boxes with them, you get REALLY good at knowing what is going to be weight surcharged because it's in a big box and doesn't weigh enough. You also get very good as stuffing large, lightweight things into the largest box that isn't OS1. :D

AIR packages, on the other hand .... are a nightmare if they don't fit in a box smaller than one cubic foot. You get pretty good at it after a while, but it's much more complicated and you still end up eating some shipping $$ some of the time. I've actually figured out a good formula for our stuff that is going into our new cart that gets pretty close on air packages if they don't fit in a 12x12x12 box, but it took me quite a while to develop it.

- Roach

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeeps84 said:
They do that to get the fuel ser charge!
Ah so, young grasshopper, they do not. It's actually a charge based on what can fit in a truck or an airplane ... if your box is taking up X amount of space, you're going to pay a minimum of X $$.

UPS charges us a fuel surcharge *on top of* the standard shipping rates, and it changes monthly :crazy:

If you ever wonder why shipping charges on online orders are what they are ... now you know. It's actually fairly time consuming to break even on shipping, especially when you figure in the cost of the packaging on top of it. For example - those packing "peanuts" ... about the cheapest you can get them as a small business is at $1 a cubic foot including having them shipped to you. Boxes are about $1 - $1.50 a piece as well. We try and recycle everything we can from our suppliers, but still need to buy supplies on a fairly regular basis.

- Roach

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm with ya Roach. While I won't try to say I ship as much as you I always save every box and packaging materials I get from anything and everything. I hate buying boxes. But when I do I have this great place I do it at. They let me do it myself and use everything they have. They only charge me for the materials minus a discount. But yes, things like peanuts aren't cheap. They charge me $1 per huge scoop. Which is probably about .75 cubic foot. But it gets pricey. I have shipped anything and everything on a bike. EVERYTHING from frames to motors to wheels and plastics. I've gotten pretty good at shipping.

But Roach is right on with their charging. All they care about is how much they can fit inside the truck. A big box that is light takes up alot of space so they charge it the same as a small heavy box. While the small box doesn't take up alot of space it takes up the weight limit that the truck has due to DOT. Jeeps should understand this being a truck driver.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
:jacked: I must laugh at how people debate/ argue on shipping with Speedwerks, who primarily ships most of their products all over the US. So, um, yeah, I would say at least on this Speedwerks is not full of BS, they probably know all about how shipping is calculated etc.

But me personally, I love box! es

1 - 19 of 19 Posts