Two Wheel Forums banner

gear indicators

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  DLIT 
#1 ·
what does one go for and how much? TIA

#6 ·
It's not the installing part that's the problem ... it's the programming part. You have to "teach" it what the gears are. This is done by grounding a wire ... while running the bike and going through the gears. Even doing it on the dyno is a PITA, nevermind trying to do it while actually riding the bike (and doing it on a rear stand is *dangerous*).

- Roach

#8 ·
DLITALIEN said:
Does it come with everything I need to program it? And are the instructions detailed and good? thanks Roach
The instructions are ok ... it's not rocket science, you just have to splice it into the wiring harness. All that's required to program it is the black wire coming out of it that you ground to the frame while running through the gears :)

- Roach

#9 ·
Twisty has one of these on his 1K and it is great!

I wish I had one on my 9R.

You could probably do the programming on a rear swing arm stand with some assistance...

#10 ·
Project 80 in the 101 Sportbike Projects book is how to install a shiftlight/digital gear indicator. They installed an Acumen unit, and it plugged into the back of the speedometer on an R6. If an aftermarket wiring harness isn't available for your bike, you can buy units that splice into the wiring harness.

#11 · (Edited)
digital gear indicator for a r1~ :here: OFF the NET :here: http://www.performanceautogroup.net...Csid=341625190e78e282c70e3d70f4ee7b3d&x=4&y=9
1. Remove tank, windscreen and right side middle fairing
2. Locate the speedo sense wire (white/yellow)at the right side wire loom.
3. Splice (solder or wire snap) an extension wire to the speedo wire. Make extension wire about 3' long. You will cut it later.
4. Route the extension wire (I used a yellow wire) up along the front wire loom on the right side. Route the wire up in between the headlights.
5. Find a suitable place to install the Gear Indicator so that the display can be read and so that the clip-ons do not interfer with the indicator. I mounted mine to the left side of the display.
6. Crimp-on a 22 gauge eyelet to the Digi black ground wire and install in the ground location on the fairing brace.
7. Solder the green Digi speedo to your extension wire from the speedo sense line. Be sure to install heat shrink first or tape off after soldering.
8. Remove the connector plug that goes into the back of the display.
9. From here you have 2 options A. you can pop out the necessary contacts and solder your connections or B. leave the contacts in and strip back the wire insulation approx 1-2" from the connector. I popped out the contacts and soldered the Digi wires directly to the contacts and re-installed.
10. Solder the Digi yellow wire to the Yellow/Black wire in the connector.
11. Solder the Digi blue wire to the Light Blue/White wire in the connector.
12. Solder the Digi red wire to the Light Brown wire in the connector.
13. The orange wire is not connected and is used for programming the Digi.
14. Wire connections are now complete. I installed a intermediate male/female connector so that the Digi could be removed easily if I wanted.
15. Reinstall the connector into the display.
16. Reinstall items in #1
17. You now need to program the Digi. Turn the key to On position.
18. Ground Digi orange wire. Hold to ground for approx 1 min until the display flashes.
19. Remove and again touch ground. Each time the Digi will flash the next gear. Do this until 6 is acheived on the Digi display.
20. Tape up orange wire and secure .
21. Put bike on stand and put kickstand up.
22. Be sure bike is in neutral.
23. Start bike
24. Proceed to put into 1st gear and release clutch. Digi will blink "1" Rev the bike up to approx 2000 rpms so that the "1" will blink fast and the display will switch to "2" .
25. Shift into 2nd gear briefly pausing in neutral and do the same again.
26. Go through the gears and do the same until you get up to 6th gear. Once 6th is complete the Digi display will cycle.
27. Programming is complete. Enjoy!

#15 ·
Samurai_Jack said:
A fellow rider of mine installed one and he told me the friggin thing won't indicate the right gear all the time :cursin: Talk about paying for something that don't work...
Sounds like its not programed right!
Never have tried it but, would love to have one on every bike I own.

#19 ·
jeeps84 said:
Some of the bike back in the 80's had them from the factory.
What happened?
Maybe left off for weight savings like the gas gages. :scratch:
My older brother had a 83 honda night hawk as his first bike, that thing was shaft driven, had a digital gear idicator, and a digital fuel gauge. A freakin 1983!! Most modern bikes don't have that!

#20 ·
Here's an Acumen at a great price. He HAD 19 available when I ordered mine and he's down to 10 now. Total price with shipping is slightly less than $91 U.S. They are normally $149. They are plug and play for some models (the R6 is one).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7972876815

Oh, on a side note, the 2005 GSX-R 1000 has a digital gear indicator from the factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.