Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 04 gixxer 600 has a gutted yosh exhaust with a straight piece of pipe welded inside. Will this damage my newly found friend???

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, it will lean out the fuel mixture, which could possibly damage the engine. However, if the bike has a power commander and has been re-mapped for proper air/fuel ratio, then that pipe won't hurt anything. I would suggest you get it to a dyno and take a look at the A/F ratio throughout the power curve. If it's too lean, you have two choices: spend the money on a power commander and a custom map, or spend the money on a new pipe. Personally, if the pipe sounds good, I'd just get the power commander and custom map. Heck, even a normal slip-on will lean out the A/F ratio a bit and you'd be smart to have a power commander there as well.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
WHY? It just doesn't make sense! :gary: if you ask me! That would be ruining a perfectly good exhaust!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
if ur gonna do that u may as well just cut the pip off right wehre it comes out the bottom fender and runa straight pipe. same thing. plus it will make ppl ask, "wow where is the exhaust"

but im with GAS MAN on this one

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Right 636... you might as well run no muffler.... it's the same thing..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Well, it will lean out the fuel mixture, which could possibly damage the engine. However, if the bike has a power commander and has been re-mapped for proper air/fuel ratio, then that pipe won't hurt anything. I would suggest you get it to a dyno and take a look at the A/F ratio throughout the power curve. If it's too lean, you have two choices: spend the money on a power commander and a custom map, or spend the money on a new pipe. Personally, if the pipe sounds good, I'd just get the power commander and custom map. Heck, even a normal slip-on will lean out the A/F ratio a bit and you'd be smart to have a power commander there as well.
:iagree:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts