Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 23rd im going to hit the drag strip. midnight drags kick ass. this will be the first run i will make on my bike. any tips from those of you that have done it before. i def need to work on my starts of the line
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
You will love it and may even get hooked on it, I need a lot of help coming off the line too, but just take your time with the throttle and no matter what just keep making passes and try to beat your time, :cheers:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
Do you know how to prep your bike for drag racing? Do you know how to strap the front end down? Do you have a clue as to what you are doing, or are you just going to tear your bike up??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
thats awesome man i want to try going to the drag strip 2 sometime, lowering links might nto be a bad idea if u want to keep your biek from lifting,straps 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never thought of any of that stuff. but when ive tried to race it, it hasnt come off the ground enough to matter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just comes up a little in first

all i have to do it just lean forward
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bumblebee said:
Do you know how to prep your bike for drag racing? Do you know how to strap the front end down? Do you have a clue as to what you are doing, or are you just going to tear your bike up??
y dont you help me out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
try 25psi in the rear....dont worry about tying the front end down for your first time at the track.....biggest thing i tell new guys is for the first run, just run it like your leaving the lights on the street to get the feel of the track....the drag strip is sticky and it will give you traction youve never had on a street...

after your first run, then bring the revs up to 4,000-5,000 rpm and slip the clutch out a little then get it wide open right away....look at the 60' time on your time slip...you want to be around 1.8 for a decent run...the whole drag race is in the 60' time.......once you get into the 1.7-1.6 sec 60' times then its time to strap the front end down etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
lean towards the front of the tank so you don't go flying off the back..keep your body weight to the front once you take off.
Taking off at 4,000-5,000 on an SV can be VERY tricky!! You will really have to slip that clutch! Other wise you are going over backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SVupON1 said:
lean towards the front of the tank so you don't go flying off the back..keep your body weight to the front once you take off.
Taking off at 4,000-5,000 on an SV can be VERY tricky!! You will really have to slip that clutch! Other wise you are going over backwards.
what about reving it over and over and then letting it fly when it turns green. i tried that a bit ton and i was a bit faster than the other ways i tried
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
SperosSV650 said:
what about reving it over and over and then letting it fly when it turns green. i tried that a bit ton and i was a bit faster than the other ways i tried
Hmm that could be a bit risky if you twist back too far that one time when you take off that will send you flipping off the back end too. You should stick to keeping a steady medium rev and slipping the clutch as soon as it turns yellow. Don't wait for that green to hit..you will have a slow reaction time that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVupON1 said:
Hmm that could be a bit risky if you twist back too far that one time when you take off that will send you flipping off the back end too. You should stick to keeping a steady medium rev and slipping the clutch as soon as it turns yellow. Don't wait for that green to hit..you will have a slow reaction time that way.
ive got a couple of weeks to perfect it. i tried that but i cant seem to get off that fast
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
SperosSV650 said:
ive got a couple of weeks to perfect it. i tried that but i cant seem to get off that fast
With some practice you will eventually get it. :luck:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SVupON1 said:
With some practice you will eventually get it. :luck:
tips???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,687 Posts
its all in the clutch, revs and body position... you just gotta get osme runs in first... then when u know what u do u cna work on and ask for improvement.... but get off the line quick..... higher u rev the more u will clutch. geti t moving and clutch out fast.... but dont bog it...
Dont air down unless u are ready to slip the rear off the line.. and then without a bar u run the risk of looping the bike if your not quick to react when it vccatches traction.... just slip it for now....

BTW--- Friends best on his STOCK EVERYTHING SV was 12.2....if u have slip on and filter and maybe a PC3 u should hit 11's.. or even stock u can hit em.... if u run a 11.9 be proud... a 12.2 be happy..... a 12.5 and u need to practice MUCH more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ScottSellersUNR said:
its all in the clutch, revs and body position... you just gotta get osme runs in first... then when u know what u do u cna work on and ask for improvement.... but get off the line quick..... higher u rev the more u will clutch. geti t moving and clutch out fast.... but dont bog it...
Dont air down unless u are ready to slip the rear off the line.. and then without a bar u run the risk of looping the bike if your not quick to react when it vccatches traction.... just slip it for now....

BTW--- Friends best on his STOCK EVERYTHING SV was 12.2....if u have slip on and filter and maybe a PC3 u should hit 11's.. or even stock u can hit em.... if u run a 11.9 be proud... a 12.2 be happy..... a 12.5 and u need to practice MUCH more
in english??? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
SperosSV650 said:
in english??? :lol:
I understand it! :lol: Don't worry about a PC3...thats for 03-05 SV's...you don't have fuel injection so thats elimiated.
A full exhuast, BMC race air filter and a race clutch will help the most!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SVupON1 said:
I understand it! :lol: Don't worry about a PC3...thats for 03-05 SV's...you don't have fuel injection so thats elimiated.
A full exhuast, BMC race air filter and a race clutch will help the most!
thats doable
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top