Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a green light trigger? This would be useful when theres not much traffic but the lights are skipping me. LINK

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
Does anyone have a green light trigger? This would be useful when theres not much traffic but the lights are skipping me. LINK

WHen I was in college I got pulled over for running the light. The bike was not heavy enough to trigger it and I sat through 2 lights. Unfortunately the one I went through Mr. Po Po was coming up behind me. However he generously let me go with warning when I explained that the bike was not heavy enough to set the sensor. But I doubt all are that lienient. I have seen those things but really wonder how well they work.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I've ran tons of lights that way... you sit there and you sit there and sit and sit... and nothing... F that I'm gone!

But are you serious on this! :wtf: I mean $25 for a High Performece magnet!! People will buy anything...

What I don't get is this...

The Green Light Trigger "fools" the system by creating disturbances in the sensor's electromagnetic field. Basically, the trigger is a powerful magnet that you fasten to the bottom of your bike (for instance, to the center stand crosspiece).
I DON'T HAVE A CENTER STAND cause I don't own a high performence Katana! :bonk:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
chev said:
I'll just continue gambling on these things and save myself $25 :spam:
:withstupi , plus when you have that nice magnet sitting under your bike to "trip the sensor", well what happens to that magnet when you pass over other metal objects in the road? And not all sensors are "magnetic", so are actually done by weight rolling over a cord.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Well I must be really bad off...there is one light I can't seem to avoid... so I end up getting off my bike to hit the cross walk button... the 1-Times are always stashed around the corner... and I don't want to wait for somebody to trip the sensor... :yaewn:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Most triggers are set off by the metal on a vehicle, weight has nothing to do with it.

In highschool we used to flash the lights repeatedly when coming up to them and they would turn green while everything else turned red. The sensors thought it was a siren. I haven't tried that in years, don't know if it still works and I'm sure it's not exactly legal. lol

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Like the link mentioned, sometimes see-sawing back and forth across the sensor when you roll up to the light helps. (w/o the magnet).

I know I have one particular light where that method works.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeeps84 said:
Just make a right on red or run the damn thing.
i do it. But youre not always alone when youre skipped. Usually in turn lanes when im the only one turning.

pigface said:
In highschool we used to flash the lights repeatedly when coming up to them and they would turn green while everything else turned red. The sensors thought it was a siren. I haven't tried that in years, don't know if it still works and I'm sure it's not exactly legal. lol
i used to do that too. worked fine, mabye ill start doin it again.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I have a problem with the other kind sometimes, the kind that has the video camera thingy mounted up by the lights... a lot of times those just DO NOT see a bike..

·
Registered
543 Posts
There's currently a bill being pushed through here in WA to allow bikes to turn left on red if they have been skipped by two cycles of the light and there's no oncoming traffic. It's basically a left turn version of the free right on red laws... :dthumb:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Pigface1 said:
Most triggers are set off by the metal on a vehicle, weight has nothing to do with it.

NOPE, not legal. You can get a ticket for "improper use of head light" , which is not a moving violation but it should only run you like $50-$100 including fees and everything if you get caught.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 2 cents is that this "magnet" is pretty cheap anyway, so even if it doesn't work as well as you thought it would be, you can still return it or pocket the $20 or so loss. On the other hand... if such thing cost like $50 :cursin:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just put a couple magnets on the bottom of my headers. Got the magnets at my work out of a couple automatic transmission pans so they're pretty strong magnets. I still put the tire right on the sensor line, but I usually always get my light :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
thirdgenlxi said:
I just put a couple magnets on the bottom of my headers. Got the magnets at my work out of a couple automatic transmission pans so they're pretty strong magnets. I still put the tire right on the sensor line, but I usually always get my light :thumbs:
That's cool man. I think I'm gonna try that. You think a junkyard will give up those? or a tranny repair shop?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a problem with the other kind sometimes, the kind that has the video camera thingy mounted up by the lights... a lot of times those just DO NOT see a bike..
That's funnym because in Colorado Springs, all the lights have cameras, and as long as I sit right where a car's supposed to, then they work dine.

I didn't start gettign caught at lights until I moved to Louisiana.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
NOPE, not legal. You can get a ticket for "improper use of head light" , which is not a moving violation but it should only run you like $50-$100 including fees and everything if you get caught.
That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was looking at this & wondering if it's worth it. I go down a main road to work, and the lights are staggered to seemingly slow traffic. Only speeding at the speed limit from one light to another will seemingly get the first two drivers thru the lights, all others are forced to constantly stop and start. On my bike, the lights seem to quickly go to yellow very suddenly.

This made for a scary situation the other day when I tried to turn off the road at a turn signal. I was going thru the turn which has a normally 'long' light, when it suddenly went to yellow. I didn't want to go thru the light, because I know many drivers at that intersection like to 'rabbit'. It had just rained, so found myself coming to a skidding stop. What was bad though, in the next lane ( 2 lane turning lane ) a car was also caught off guard and skidded farther than I did and almost ended up in the intersection.

Anyways, on my morning ride, if I miss one light, I am screwed with all the others. Wondering if this will help.

Signal Sorcerer

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I'd rather save money and just go straight and u-turn or turn right and u-turn. The sorcerer would be the one I'd buy first.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts