Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were having a conversation @ work today. One of my friends is getting married. But his girls Dad is pissed because he didn't ask him before he asked his daughter.

Now are you suppose to ask now-a-days or is that a old fashion thing. Just for future knowledge. :hug:

·
Registered
175 Posts
coming from a woman's point of view... (and this may sound "old fashioned") in polite society... or traditional families... it's ALWAYS good to ask. look at it this way, the WORST thing that can happen... is that he'll say yes, wonder why you asked... but have a new found respect for you. :dthumb:

ok... i suppose that'd be the second worst thing. besides her father pulling a gun on you and telling you to get out...

:smash:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Yes it is old-fashioned..but parents appreciate it..Trust me on that one!! and also ur friend is finding out as well. Parents feel it shows respect to ask for their daughters hand in marraige. It shows you have class and some morals..well atleast to some degree..

but yes, most definately, ask the father if it all possible. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I would definately say yes. I went through a similar situation last year when I asked my fiancee. Her parents were very impressed that I did the polite thing and asked. Of course her Dad, being the smart ass he is said what would you have done if I had said no? You would have done it anyway right? I took them to dinner at a Chinese place and I wanted to do it right off the bat but then thought dinner would suck if they were pissed about it so I would wait. Small talk more small talk even more small talk, etc. That made it worse because it made me more nervous. Finally I blurted it out at the end of dinner and it was like time in slow motion.. lol.. It all worked out well though. But yes - I would say that is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Definitely the good way to go! :dthumb: I agree with the others, it just shows respect. H#ll even DJ asked my dad before he proposed... now as for the actual proposal... he jacked it all up. :lol: (how can you be nervous after being with someone for 4yrs and have a child together) j/k babe (it was still sweet the way you did it) :hug:

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
double2000r6 said:
I would definately say yes. I went through a similar situation last year when I asked my fiancee. Her parents were very impressed that I did the polite thing and asked. Of course her Dad, being the smart ass he is said what would you have done if I had said no? You would have done it anyway right? I took them to dinner at a Chinese place and I wanted to do it right off the bat but then thought dinner would suck if they were pissed about it so I would wait. Small talk more small talk even more small talk, etc. That made it worse because it made me more nervous. Finally I blurted it out at the end of dinner and it was like time in slow motion.. lol.. It all worked out well though. But yes - I would say that is the right thing to do.
So if I was to get married would I ask her Dad 1st or her? :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
twisty said:
So if I was to get married would I ask her Dad 1st or her? :dthumb:
Ask her dad first. Either take him out to eat or invite him over to your place (clean it up first). Then let him know that you love his daughter and you're considering asking her to marry you, but you would like his permission first. Then ask his daughter that night before he has a chance to spoil the surprise. ;)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Definately ask the father first, cuz u know he's gonna ask you if you already asked his daughter anyways...and if you lie and say no, ur not starting out on the right foot :rolleyes: ....this way, u cover ur a$$

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think it is always good to ask the parent(s) first before you pop the question. And as Carrie said, it shows respect. :)

My father died my senior year, but Allen asked my mother before he asked me to marry him. Before she answered she asked him why he wanted to marry me, and if he thought he could provide a good life for me and our child(ren) in the future. She listend to what he had to say and gave her blessing. :)
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I asked Carries dad but I don't know why...after I did ask all he said was.."I don't give a $hit." Nice. :dthumb:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
I asked Carries dad but I don't know why...after I did ask all he said was.."I don't give a $hit." Nice. :dthumb:

:lol: Then didn't he say something like, "take her we don't want her anymore" :sob: :lol:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
3BoyzNaBike said:
:lol: Then didn't he say something like, "take her we don't want her anymore" :sob: :lol:

I think he did. :D :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
now ur stuck with her...err, I mean, now you'll get to live happily ever after with her. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
now ur stuck with her...err, I mean, now you'll get to live happily ever after with her. :rolleyes: ;)
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: A$$!!!

LOL

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:

Ever..no one ever said "ever". :D J/K Carrie. I know we would kill on another first before that "ever" thing happened. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Ever..no one ever said "ever". :D J/K Carrie. I know we would kill on another first before that "ever" thing happened. :dthumb:

what r u talking about..u guys kill each other on a regular basis.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
what r u talking about..u guys kill each other on a regular basis.. :lol:

yea and he loves the abuse or else he would have left a long time ago.....when I told him too! :whistle: :hug: DJ

1 - 20 of 55 Posts