Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this morning I was on my way to work. I was just under a freeway overpass at a red light, i see a black mercedes drift around the corner on my left trying to beat the yellow/red light that was changing on his side to give me the green. Well, he gets caught at the next red light, as I roll up to him, he is in the right lane and I roll up on the left. I just did the 520 converstion on my R6 so I feel like its time to really roll on it. Yeahhh, well, he is revving the engine up a bit, I look over, he is in his mid to late 50's, light turns green, he slams the gas, I hit it also, my front end comes right up, let off a bit and hit 2nd, again, front end up, hit 3rd, again, well, needless to say he is right there with me. If no front end lift i am sure i would have been a bit farther ahead.
Well we hit the next red, and he looks over and gives me the thumbs up and smiles, I give him props as he turns right and I go straight, I was thinking, damn either his car is fast or I REALLY suck as a rider (which could be.. haa haa)..yeah well, as he turns I look to see the badging on the car, its an E55 AMG, I said no wonder he was right there. Give the guy props if nothing else, he has one fast ass car. If you look at the car you think, yeah right, big 4 door boat, NOT!!...
Anyways, thought I would share...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
we used to call those sleepers...My mom had a 1972 98 LS oldsmobile with a 455 in it. When I started college I got it. I put a 6.5" edelbrock manifold topped with a 750 dbl pumper and a set of hedman headers and exhaust on it and that car would scream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
badboys21 said:
I REALLY suck as a rider (which could be.. haa haa)..yeah well,
Naw...I wouldn't say that...but... you could practice a lil' more not to lift that front end..up... on take offs... :willy:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I only frequent TWF and WOS...that's enough time wasted in front of a PC in one day....

Anyway, back on track, good story. Those launches can be tricky... but I'm sure in a rolling go you would have had him really easily!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
I smoked 3 kids on 600's last summer with the vette...they were doing wheelies in front of me and we came to a light and i pulled up beside them, 2 were in a lane and the 3rd was behind them, i had the top off so I said nice bikes, one of them said nice car...i can hear 2 of them revving their motors and i start giving the vette some gas...light turns green, i slide the clutch a little and hammer it and im gone, i can hear their motors bogging so i knew they didnt get a good launch, i slammed 2nd gear and then had to start stopping for another red light, i can hear one of the bikes rear wheels hopping like mad trying to stop and they came to a stop...I was going straight and they were taking a right, they give me the thumbs up and i return the thumb........Im sure they were gaining on me and would have passed if their wasnt a light there but the race was over and they lost.....

launching a bike from a dead stop hard, and i mean hard, is not as easy as it seems...as soon as i heard the motors bogging i knew i had them, at least in first gear and thats all i cared about....but i never , ever lost a race on the street to a car and ive raced some pretty fast cars.....a 600 once it boggs is done, its gonna take a little bit of road to get it back up in the powerband to take off and a fast car with a big motor (like the vette) will eat it for lunch in first gear and a little of 2nd....so on those streets with a lot of lights , the smaller bikes will lose those short races if they dont launch hard....

a car on the street with a guy that doesnt do a lot of dragracing will take 2.1-2.4 seconds to get to 60 feet, most likely more if the car starts spinning the rear wheels...a 600 should be able to easily do a 1.8-2.0 sixty foot time and then its all over for the car....

so Im telling you all to go to a parking lot and practice those launches...its embarrasing to see a car beat a bike, just plain embarrasing..... :here: :nonod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Low said:
Naw...I wouldn't say that...but... you could practice a lil' more not to lift that front end..up... on take offs... :willy:
you have to slip the clutch to keep the front end down when launching from a dead stop and the best thing to do when the bike is starting to head for the sky after its launched is just short shift it into 2nd gear..that will keep the bike from flipping and you wont lose too much momentom...also dont roll off the throttle just because its starting to wheelie, ride it out a little and then short shift it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
BadBoys21, Keep in mind, if you hold your clutch in and rev the motor at a few grand and hold it till the light turns green, don't let the clutch catch cuz you will burn it up. I see guys do this all the time at the dragstrip. You just gotta get the feel for a quick launch and you'll be good. I have never lost a race to a car yet, I've raced everything from Geo's to vetts and vipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
bumblebee said:
we used to call those sleepers...My mom had a 1972 98 LS oldsmobile with a 455 in it. When I started college I got it. I put a 6.5" edelbrock manifold topped with a 750 dbl pumper and a set of hedman headers and exhaust on it and that car would scream.
When i was a teen i used my fathers 1970 gran prix with a 400 in it.
First thing i would do was open the hood and flip the top of the breather over..it was awesome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
SVupON1 said:
BadBoys21, Keep in mind, if you hold your clutch in and rev the motor at a few grand and hold it till the light turns green, don't let the clutch catch cuz you will burn it up. I see guys do this all the time at the dragstrip. You just gotta get the feel for a quick launch and you'll be good. I have never lost a race to a car yet, I've raced everything from Geo's to vetts and vipers.
:cheers:

you want to launch an inline four 600 at around 6-7,000 and slip the clutch and get it to the stops as soon as you can once the clutch is completly out, dont dump the clutch cause it will dump you...but if you try to launch a 600 at around 2-3,000 rpm and let it out quickly it will bog and youll lose time.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
GsxrJack said:
:cheers:

you want to launch an inline four 600 at around 6-7,000 and slip the clutch and get it to the stops as soon as you can once the clutch is completly out, dont dump the clutch cause it will dump you...but if you try to launch a 600 at around 2-3,000 rpm and let it out quickly it will bog and youll lose time.....
:iagree: :sorry: Mines a V-twin if I were to hold the tack a 6k or 7k I would 12 O'clock in a heart beat. V's are just torque monsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
SVupON1 said:
:iagree: :sorry: Mines a V-twin if I were to hold the tack a 6k or 7k I would 12 O'clock in a heart beat. V's are just torque monsters.
correct, but you never just dump the clutch, just let it out slowly (slip it) and youll be fine,,,,,,the v twins you can launch at a lower rpm and dump the clutch and let it pull...but a little slipping at higher rpms even on a vtwin helps..especially if its under 750cc's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,790 Posts
GsxrJack said:
correct, but you never just dump the clutch, just let it out slowly (slip it) and youll be fine,,,,,,the v twins you can launch at a lower rpm and dump the clutch and let it pull...but a little slipping at higher rpms even on a vtwin helps..especially if its under 750cc's...
That may be true for a stock V-twin, however I have alot of work done to mine, stage 3 jet kit, K&N, full yoshi RS3 race exhaust.......and I only weigh 120 LBS. When I take off hard in 1st even at a rolling start the front end comes up pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks fellas to all of you for your advice, I was in a really, really bad accident about 9 years ago, when a car cut me off on the freeway, and i flipped over and over and over, yeah not fun, and I lost full range of motion in my left arm, it took me 8 years to buy another bike and so here I am. I just get a tad nervous about things at times, but what does not kill you makes you stronger!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
twisty said:
When I launch @ races I leave around 8000rpms and chase the RPMs with clutch. My 1st attempt was kinda frecky but now I feel very cool about it. Good starts in sprint racing is very important.
yes it is, always better to be in front in turn #1 than to be in the middle of the pack in turn 1 :yikes: plus in a sprint race with only 10 or so laps, guys running the same lap times as you wont catch ya, and those that are only a bit faster have a lot of people to pass to get to you....getting to the front as quick as possible is always a good thing...
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top