Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how many of ya have gone down on your bike? if ya have, what caused it and such? i read somewhere once that there are 2 kinds of bikers, those that have been down and those that are going down. so far i am in the latter category. really puts things into perspective though. :twfrox:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I've been down on account of inexperience, cockiness and loose gravel. Nothin bad though. I didn't even fall on my ass. Everything's back to brand new again plus some upgrades.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Soon, very soon. The drivers are getting homicidal here and its a matter of time. Yesterday i had 4 misses... FOUR! Three were on coming traffic overtaking one another in MY LANE. The other was the good ole left turner.

·
Registered
955 Posts
itgirl25 said:
just wondering how many of ya have gone down on your bike? if ya have, what caused it and such? i read somewhere once that there are 2 kinds of bikers, those that have been down and those that are going down. so far i am in the latter category. really puts things into perspective though. :twfrox:
ive been lucky on the street, only a few get offs in 30 plus years of street riding...and thats all it is for the most part ...LUCK

on the track i had a few good crashes and 2 ambulance rides out of the track.....

and that statement "there are two kinds of bikers" that statement was for motorcycle racers..."there are two kind of motorcycle racers, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash"

I know of many people that have never had an accident on the street, just because you ride a bike does not mean your going to crash...the odds are good that you will and you should be prepared cause its gonna hurt, but not every single motorcycle rider will crash...now racers, well thats another thing....

·
Registered
43 Posts
JK_DILLA said:
Soon, very soon. The drivers are getting homicidal here and its a matter of time. Yesterday i had 4 misses... FOUR! Three were on coming traffic overtaking one another in MY LANE. The other was the good ole left turner.
Do you ride wiht your HIgh beams one? Maybe the Left turners will def see U that way.. Just wondering. :2cents:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went down once because I was being stupid and unfortunate somehow....
I was on a group ride and someone suggested a road where we could coast down in neutral all the way from the top to the bottom (I have never been to this particular road before and have never ever coasted downhill in neutral prior) So I thought why not... so half way down the twisties, a bee dropped in through my jacket and got trapped between my mesh jacket and my neck. I panicked a bit in mid turn and grabbed a handful of front brake when the bee stung me. I was fortunate enough to have a sense to travel in a very slow down speed when the bee stung but the stilled experienced a mini high side and had the bike slid down the hill for a few feet.

Lesson learned: Get to know the roads before attempting anything new. Never ever go into the woods or any rides w/o full leathers. Coasting in neutral feels weird (& I'll never do it again unless it's necessary :bash: )

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
he saw me, thats why he stopped and camped out in my lane like it would help. Brakes and drama later he moved. I will use my hi's though. thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have, but.....

It always taste's like seat vinyl for some reason.... :leaving:

:whore:
:pat:
Steve.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I went down 3 times on my 1st bike "04r6"

1st - August 04
Lowsided at the track because of bad body positioning\
damage = broken front master and lever and rashed fairings

2nd November 04
Back slipped out when i was wheeling in 2nd on cold tires
damage = more rashed fairings

3rd may 05
Hit gravel and the front tucked
damage= really rashed fairings and bent the clutch lever

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Dropped the bike in the parking lot on a wet line while turning the bike around.

Low/Hi side after nearly hitting a deer.

Dropped it in the mud once...foot sliped!

That's it! Not bad.

I have also bounced a thread for ya!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't been 'down' on the the street bike but I did hit a barrel that was in the roadway a few weeks a go.
Last week I did a half of a barrel roll on my quad. Landed on my head and sholder, breaking my collar bone.
No riding for me for about 5 ro 6 weeks. :cry:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Gas Man said:
Dropped the bike in the parking lot on a wet line while turning the bike around.

Low/Hi side after nearly hitting a deer.

Dropped it in the mud once...foot sliped!

That's it! Not bad.

I have also bounced a thread for ya!

On the side of the road? Or you trying to ride the bike through a mudhole?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
furorange said:
I haven't been 'down' on the the street bike but I did hit a barrel that was in the roadway a few weeks a go.
Last week I did a half of a barrel roll on my quad. Landed on my head and sholder, breaking my collar bone.
No riding for me for about 5 ro 6 weeks. :cry:

That sucks. I broke four rips on a quad doing donuts and had it flip off a jump and land on my chest, that hurt also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
WildMonkey said:
It always taste's like seat vinyl for some reason.... :leaving:

:whore:
:pat:
Steve.

C'mon people! I don't care who you are...that's just plain funny!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Once on the street on the very first bike I ever owned. It was a mountain road and I was a newbie. I was riding WAY over my head on a cruiser.

Three times on the track.

First time was definitely because of inexperience. I became overconfident and I happened to let my mind wander. This is VERY BAD for motorcycling, especially on a track day. I didn't look through the turn, I looked straight in front of me and thought, "****, I'm not going to make it," so I went off road. I then made another beginner mistake and target fixated on the tree row. I was trying to modulate the rear brake to get the bike to slow down but that wasn't working. As I got within 15 yards or less of the trees, I slammed on the rear brake, slid the bike sideways and laid it down on the right side. We both hit the trees and the bike stood up then fell on my leg. I wasn't injured, but I had a hell of a time getting the bike off my leg.

Second time on the track, I cut the turn too tight and the footpeg caught the track "curb" and the rear wheel lost traction and slid out from underneath me.

Third time on the track, I honestly don't know what caused the low side. I was taking the tightest turn on the track and was taking it slower than I'd taken it all day. However, the rear wheel just lost grip and slid out from under me. There could be any number of causes. I did find 3 slices in the rear tire in a later inspection, so it's quite possible that something was on the track, but I'm not convinced that was the problem.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Third time on the track, I honestly don't know what caused the low side. I was taking the tightest turn on the track and was taking it slower than I'd taken it all day. However, the rear wheel just lost grip and slid out from under me. There could be any number of causes. I did find 3 slices in the rear tire in a later inspection, so it's quite possible that something was on the track, but I'm not convinced that was the problem.
Wonder if that could be cause the tyre wasn't rotating enough to give you the traction to get through the turn? Like I know there are supposidly like minimum speeds that you should take certain turns at, right?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
On the side of the road? Or you trying to ride the bike through a mudhole?
On the side of the road... trying to turn around! It was like..... um ok! Pick up bike and spray mud off! no biggie...that side already had a few scratchs!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts