Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 2 pc. leather suit from alpinestars, with boots as well, about 2 months ago. problem is that i'm a bit on the short side, causing the pants to be a little long on me. whenever i wear the boots w/the suit it pushes the shin pads up where they should be and hence causes bunching around my knees that is quite uncomfortable. i have resorted to wearing regular shoes with it when i ride to alleviate this problem for now. any suggestions as to how i can fix this issue? i hate having $200 boots and not using them. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tuck in boot style. that causes issues too because the boots are hard to zip due to the pants going all the way to my ankles (and they aren't supposed to, are they?).

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Just pull them up a bit, zip your boots close and you should be good... isn't this what most people do?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Any reputable tailor (i guess thats what you call it) should be able to alter your suit to fit you properly. Should be some in your area in the yellow pages

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
DAN DUBEAU said:
Any reputable tailor (i guess thats what you call it) should be able to alter your suit to fit you properly. Should be some in your area in the yellow pages
:withstupi Can't you just trim the bottoms. No ones gonna see anyway.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gas Man said:
Just pull them up a bit, zip your boots close and you should be good... isn't this what most people do?
i can indeed pull them up and zip the boots, but that causes the bunching at the knees. perhaps if i could just take out the flexible panel around the knee it would shorten it enough for me. i guess a tailor could do that. would that work?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Good luck finding a tailor that will sew leather!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gas Man said:
Good luck finding a tailor that will sew leather!
Actually, you should very easily be able to find this. Look in the phone book for a leather repair place (usually they will also do shoe repair / resole). "Normal" people wear leather garments (jackets, pants, vests, etc), not just us motorcyclists :) They will be able to alter the leathers so they fit you properly.

- Brian Roach

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yes to what speedwerks said!

We have taken Twisty's suit in countless times to the leather repair shop and they can trim/tailor/patch, etc. They should be able to get it "hemmed" up so it will be more comfortable and give you piece of mind you didnt just cut up your $700 leathers LOL. :luck:

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
Actually, you should very easily be able to find this. Look in the phone book for a leather repair place (usually they will also do shoe repair / resole). "Normal" people wear leather garments (jackets, pants, vests, etc), not just us motorcyclists :) They will be able to alter the leathers so they fit you properly.

- Brian Roach
thanks. i'm gonna check into that.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Most shoe repair places also can do leathers. I took a pair of leather race pants borrowed to get the xzipper fixed and it was no problem for them. They generally can tailor them too. Call a typical tailor as well, the least they will do is refer you to someone who can do leathers if they are unable to. BUt I woul dNOT just cut off $700 leathers.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Keep in mind that it isn't the placement of the knee pads when you are standing that is important, but where they are when you are bent over in riding position.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
OK...you're right allow me to be more specific.

Leather repair not a standard tailor.

·
March 2007 BOTM Winner!
237 Posts
Yes, I would also suggest having them tailored to suit you. The skilled tailor will be able to open up the seams, cut and trim and reseal them and they should look like new.

But I would specifically look for a leather tailor, not just a general tailor. Shoe repair places, as mentioned above, would be a good start. Shoe repair techniques and stitching are very similar to race leather construction (with double stiching and hidden stiching etc). I would get a quote from more than one place though, and ask to see any previous similar work they have done in the past. You'd really rather not have a person work on your leathers as their virgin-attempt!!

Please keep us advised on your success.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.