Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Mat Mladin may just get the recognition he has been looking for after all... If this is for real that is.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2005/May/050520a.htm

Silly Season: Mladin To MotoGP With HRC?
by dean adams
Friday, May 20, 2005

The Spanish print mag' Motociclismo included a report this week that should fan the flames of the US silly season. The report links five time Superbike champion Mat Mladin with an HRC GP ride in 2006.

The report states that HRC is believed to be looking for a very mentally strong rider for 2006, one that can assist Sete Gibernau in a title fight against Rossi and Yamaha, and they feel Mladin may be the rider to do so.

The story includes this extremely hard to believe info: that the push for HRC to hire Mladin originated at American Honda. Uh-huh. With Mladin and DuHamel's crews seemingly ready to trade blows at any given moment this season, and with Mladin's pit lane taunting of the Honda team, it's pretty hard to believe anyone in Torrance is going to help Mat get a GP ride, whether he deserves one or not. But maybe this is just part of the tit-for-tat between American Honda and American Suzuki over motocrosser Rick Carmichael? Not bloody likley, as they say in England.

When asked about the published Spanish GP story this week, Mladin had no comment.

Last week: Mladin linked to GP ride.

ENDS

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
It wil happen sooner or later. As much as id hate to see him go, i think its time. On one hand hes great for the ama, having such a great rider inits series. On the other hand, hes also making the AMA look invalid in the worlds eyes, being so dominant makes the rest of the field look far from world class.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dunno, he did a stint in GP in the early 90's with Cagiva and he swears that he's not interested in GP in all of his interviews. I like him, and I think he raises the bar for other AMA competitors. I wonder how much longer Nicky Hayden is going to get? I think one of the primo factory Hondas over there would be a hard ride for anyone to pass up, even Mladin.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
He raises the bar here like Rossi does there.
He needs to go so AMA can get back to having racers race for 1st instead of 2ed back.

Their only hope is he has a problem and or falls.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I could see where Mladin enjoys AMA vs. GP. He lives in California with his wife and small child. They don't have to do much traveling as compared to GP where you are constantly testing in places such as Europe, South Africa, Japan, Quatar, etc etc. He makes a butt load of money for his factory Suzuki ride plus his endorsements; KBC, Joe Rocket, etc etc. Colin Edwards as well as many other GP riders own motor homes and live out of them for 8 months of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts