Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone here has any real life experiance with these two helmets. I have a CL-14 and although I like the helmet, it does not breath worth a hoot in the summer (it seems to me anyway) I am just wondering if the AC-11 does any better? On paper it looks like it should but does it for real?
I am also interested in the Scorpion helmet that I have seen discussed here. Just not sure where to see one and try it on.
Thanks for any input.

Ron

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Go with the Scorpion helmet. :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Go to http://www.scorpionusa.com and they have a dealer locator. You just put in your zip code and it comes up with a list of the closest dealers. I just purchased a Scorpion a couple weeks ago and I love it. My brother went to the dealership with me to pick up my bike and he tried on a Scorpion while he was there. He ended up buying one. :lol: They're good helmets for less than half the cost of similar brands. :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I have the AC-11 Zeek. It breathes decent but nothing to write home about. Can be very noisy, if you have the top vents open it sounds like an airplane is about to land on your head. It's a good budget helmet, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have a AC-11 Zeek... I like it... but it can be noisy in high wind in addition to high speeds, but I have dropped it once off the seat and chipped the paint job on the top, so there is to protective clear coat layer. :dthumb:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Low said:
...I have dropped it once off the seat and chipped the paint job on the top, so there is to protective clear coat layer.
You really should send that off to the manufacturer to make sure it's ok. Either that or just buy a new one. Just a small drop can ruin the protective function of a helmet, even if there is no paint damage.

Chev,
One of the things I like most about the Scorpion is that you don't have to pay 5 or 600 dollars for the quality. I've tried on both Arai and Shoei, but purchased a Scorpion. Same fit and quality, but only $200.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
It was just a 31" drop... that flaked off the paint... Plus if I send it off... I would not have anything to ride in....every day... But I plan to get an Icon Halo...then I will look into sending it off.

- :leaving:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i just ordered a cl-14 MB-II plus a sheild. hope it works good. i had a bieffe that was great but i wrecked in it so now it is going to be my night time helmet that way i dont have to change sheilds on my new helmet. plus there is not really anything wrong with it but it is the other ladies insurance paying for a new on so i better get one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did go to the Scorpion site. Closest dealer is in the Seattle area. I don't think I am making that drive anytime soon.
I have a real hard time paying the price for a Shoei or a Arai. They are great helmets, but have the same Snell and DOT ratings.
I really do want to check out the Scorpion!!
Thanks for the input guys.

Ron

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Scorpion has to get A LOT better with their distribution before they are a serious option for most people. I know I won't ever buy a helmet w/o trying one on, and I really don't feel like finding some little shop in the ghetto to do it.

Have you tried an Arai or Shoei on? Yeah they are expensive, I don't have one yet, but man... I've had heavier baseball hats on my head!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
ront said:
I did go to the Scorpion site. Closest dealer is in the Seattle area. I don't think I am making that drive anytime soon.
I have a real hard time paying the price for a Shoei or a Arai. They are great helmets, but have the same Snell and DOT ratings.
I really do want to check out the Scorpion!!
Thanks for the input guys.

Ron
Keep an eye on the site because the company is fairly young. New dealers are being added all the time. You might be able to size a helmet by normal sizing methods, but I would suggest at least sending the company an e-mail. If you let them know that you're interested in the helmet but can't find any dealers close by for fitment, they might be willing to help you out. Can't hurt to try, right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sent Scorpion an email to which they promptly replied and said they are working on getting a dealer in the Spokane area and will contact me when they do. Now I just wait.

Thanks, Ron

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Am I the only person here with more than one helmet?...I mean, I have more than one pair of shoes. Of course, I ride daily, and if I haven't mentioned it before, it gets hot here, so I don't want to put my head in a wet helmet. Of course I actually clean the inside of my helmet so I need something to wear. I also have a day helmet with mirror shield and night helmet with clear shield. When I catch a sale like a closeout on a quality helmet, I buy one. I have two in the closet right now, never been worn, only sized. Any one else?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Bee, I currently only own one helmet, but I don't ride as often as you do. I'm sure that I will eventually own more than one helmet, but the Scorpion shield is very easy to swap out so I don't need a different one for night and day. I also don't sweat much, so my helmets don't get wet inside. But I do understand your reasons for owning more than one.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I have 2 HJC's! CL-12 and CL-14.

PS: WOS Guys, you need to tell Rec Leisure they need to get some Scorp's!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last night I stopped by one of the local bike shops and asked if they had heard of the Scorpion helmets. Thay said a rep had just sent them a dealer brochure. They said they may call and get a helmet to take a look at. I showed them with one I possible wanted and the size. Hopefully, they will get one.

Ron

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
here are my helmets. i just got the hjc, it looks cool,fits a little tighter than my other bieffe but that was real loose. sheild was easy to put on and it has alot of vents.
one for day and one for night, no switching sheilds :here:
but i did wreck in the bieffe it has a couple little scratches on the other side. not real noticable though, but the insurance company paid for a new on so i got a new one. :hug:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I saw you post about this before and I am amazed that no one has questioned it: Why on earth would you use a helmet that you have wrecked in? Now if you got it checked out afterwards that is different, but there is no mention of you re-certifying the helmet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts