Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I've skidded the rear wheel a couple of times now and I'm just worried about the tyres. Is it really that bad for it? I mean, I ain't doing burnouts or nothing like that, just like hitting trying something that I found that helps me to take 90degree turns at a slightly higher speed than normal. It smoked once, but never since then.

Yeah, I know, I know. It's squidly but I can't afford full leathers and boots right now so I can't go to the track. But I got two teams at the track now that said they'll hook me up with getting on with them if I need to so I don't have to pay. They both even said that they'd like to sponsor a "newbie rider" to the track so I'm thinkin'...I'm thinkin'...But it hurts and I'd want my own equipment first so...back to the question. Is it really bad for the tyre to be skidding ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
It seems like you haven't really figure out why your rear has slipped. You are either doing something you shouldn't be or you're not paying attention to the road conditions (both are bad). I hope that you'll continue to keep your rubber side up no matter what you do and talk to some real racers to determine if you can really afford it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Samurai_Jack said:
It seems like you haven't really figure out why your rear has slipped. You are either doing something you shouldn't be or you're not paying attention to the road conditions (both are bad). I hope that you'll continue to keep your rubber side up no matter what you do and talk to some real racers to determine if you can really afford it.

Roads around here are dry, so I don't know if you mean that though (it's desert). Knock on wood, I haven't dropped the bike yet. But I probably just jinxed myself saying that. I am going to do some track days when I get the money to buy full leathers and boots, but the two race groups that I know, they just said they'd sponsor me, like to help me out and so that I have like a "pit crew" for learning the bike, mods and fixing it. I don't think I can afford racing as of yet, but I just want to get some track time under the belt.

I picked out AGV Sport Diablo 2-piece suit, Exocet full gloves and the Pro Road Race boots they make. I gotta get prices on it all now...Speedwerks....Speedwerks...Calling Speedwerks....

·
Registered
941 Posts
You're skidding the back tire around turns......you mean breaking it loose????

If that's what you're really doing...then good like to you until that tire catches and you high side. And by the way, skidding tires isn't the fastest way around a corner unless of course you're way way advanced on a MC.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Sounds like your just playing.
Yes, skidding is bad. It will flat spot the tire.
Look out for the high side that's coming your way.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jeeps84 said:
Sounds like your just playing.
Yes, skidding is bad. It will flat spot the tire.
Look out for the high side that's coming your way.
Don't wanna do that. I'll stop that now. Really wasn't intending to do it though. Just usually take the turns at like about 40mph and instead of going too wide, well, I hit the rear brake and it slid the tyre a little.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Don't wanna do that. I'll stop that now. Really wasn't intending to do it though. Just usually take the turns at like about 40mph and instead of going too wide, well, I hit the rear brake and it slid the tyre a little.
:yikes: You need to slow down. I don't think your ready for backing a bike in a corner. I may be wrong about this because I have never rode with you.
You need to concentrate more on taking those turns smoothly while using more front brake and just enough rear to help. :2cents:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Have you read any of those books I told you about yet? Twist of the Wrist 2? Sport Riding Techniques? Read em!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
you definitely don't want to be doing that. Holly sheeeeeeet. Bad move bro. Don't be doing that crap or you will end up in a ton of trouble.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I like going up mountain roads better than coming down. Get to accelerate wide open going up, and most anyone can operate the throttle correctly going up. Coming down, you have a little thing called gravity working with you. To me, operating the brakes correctly takes much more skill and practice. I like to shift and brake before the curve, and accelerate out after I look for common hazards like sand, bicyclists, and cars making U-turns. Practice, practice, practice.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Just avoid the back brake completely.... you don't want it... you shouldn't even be on the brakes in mid corner... you approach speed going into the corner should be the speed you're going to carry thru till you are accelerating.... your slowest speed is going in...then it's all more speed from there...

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gas Man said:
Just avoid the back brake completely.... you don't want it... you shouldn't even be on the brakes in mid corner... you approach speed going into the corner should be the speed you're going to carry thru till you are accelerating.... your slowest speed is going in...then it's all more speed from there...

Hey now, I'm still learning on the R6 so I just have taken a couple of corners a little too fast so that's why I end up breaking. You can also blame "Faster" for the "skidding through turns" idea.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
No I understand the learning curve...but that's why I gave you some advice!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
Hey now, I'm still learning on the R6 so I just have taken a couple of corners a little too fast so that's why I end up breaking. You can also blame "Faster" for the "skidding through turns" idea.
:skep: I guess you completely blocked out the part about what happened to Gary McCoy. There are better and safer techniques to ride in street and the track. The downsides to Gary's technique are too hefty to overcome the benefit (coolness factor) it provides.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gas Man said:
No I understand the learning curve...but that's why I gave you some advice!

Thanks Gas Man for the advice. But I was also told to use the back brake cause when you need it, you have to remember it's there. I don't have a problem using the front, probably use it too much, but the back one, now I rarely use that unless I have to slow QUICKLY! And if that's the case, I usually pull on the clutch too... That could be bad, not too sure about that one though.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well in mid corner you have to be carefull with the front brake. The reason you apply throttle while going thru the corner is to keep the power and weight on the rear tire. If you grab to much front brake it can lead to a wash out and low side. So in that case the rear would work fine. Just need to know how to ease into it a bit less.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey Graff, try going into the turns you're practicing on REALLY slow...I mean, if you have a turn coming up that's marked at 35, brake down to 25 on your approach and work on hitting your apex and accelerating out of the turn. Do that until you are comfortable with your ability to TAKE the turn. From there, start adding speed roughly 5mph at a time. That way you get used to coming into the turns and having your braking DONE by the time you get there and it's one less thing for ya to have to process while making the turns. Plus you won't be HOT and having to use that rear brake...:D

Good luck to ya man and keep yourself in one piece!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
you really dont want to be braking through the middle of a turn, you should be rolling on the gas at that point but if you find yourself going in to hot (though what you think is going in too fast is probably not even close to what the bike or a more experienced rider is able to do in that turn) then i would suggest a little more front brake and stay off the rear , thats my opinion...

rear brakes get you in more trouble than help in most situations..only rely on the rear brake in the wet or if you run into sand or gravel on the road...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts