Two Wheel Forums banner

How cold natured is your bike?

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Mojo 
#1 ·
Have problems starting it up after its been sitting for awhile? especially in the colder weather? do you ride less often in the cold because it can take longer to warm up?

I know my Kat is notorius for being cold blooded..if I dont choke the hell out of it, she'll carry on like a banshee till the blood starts flowin. It's not near as bad now as it was b/4 I got the carbs cleaned out and new plugs put in. If I choke her really good, she starts right up now and stays running, but still a bit rough. just par for the course.

but it doesnt stop me from riding though, i'll deal with it!

#3 ·
If it makes you feel any better, the can-o-tuna is pretty notorious for being cold blooded (so are most air-cooled bikes but it's fun to pick on the Kat).

Larry

#7 ·
larryg said:
If it makes you feel any better, the can-o-tuna is pretty notorious for being cold blooded (so are most air-cooled bikes but it's fun to pick on the Kat).

Larry

geez even the resident expert has no love for the Kat :sob: ;)

#12 ·
My Honda requires full choke to idle at 1,500. My old Suzuki requires full choke to start, then revs to 4,000 until I quick open the choke. I thought all Suzuki's reved high with start-up choke. Your carb cleaning might not have cleaned the choke circuit.

You could manually drain your carbs (PIA) or run the engine with gas off to drain the carbs. With the engine cold, put a can of Gumout in the fuel line to fill the float chambers. Start the engine with the choke full on and the Gumout will flow through the choke circuit. If it had clogs, the idle RPM should increase. The Gumout won't be there long enough to attack any rubber parts.

#13 ·
it used to be ALOT worse, trust me..so bad that i'd have to try and start it like 20 times b/4 it would turn over..if I choke it atleast 50%, she starts right up and is fine..but if I dont, wow!! :puke:

#14 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
geez even the resident expert has no love for the Kat :sob: ;)
Sorry man, I had to :D

Anyway, the real answer is every bike should need a little choke (enrichener) to start. After that, I prefer to turn off the excess fuel as soon as it will take a little throttle without it. I then let it warm up on its own (this is also a good time to do your pre-ride inspection). Every bike is different, but air cooled bikes with stock jetting are the worst in how long they take to warm up and get happy.

Larry

#15 ·
the dealer also mentioned that its not good to let them idle too long..kats especially..he said it fouls out the plugs, and he just chokes it start, lets it run for about 30 seconds or so, and away he goes... ?

#17 ·
Everyone has their own method, although I would argue that a bike that fouls the plugs at idle needs the carbs adjusted properly. And I still say that if you don't need the choke, your bike is too rich on at least the pilot circuit.

Just my $.02,
Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.