Two Wheel Forums banner

How long before gas starts to "gunk" up your fuel system?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
For those of us with carbs, it can be costly. How long does it take sitting in a tank before it messes with your fuel system?

#2 ·
I dont plan on letting my Kat sit that long to find out...

but I know with my old yamaha, that sat for basically a year and a half before I bought it, and the prev. owner only started it up in the spring, and summer a few times the year b/4 and that was it. didnt ride it.

I got it and it ran fine, no problems with it.

#3 ·
From the old chemistry class, gas is very volatile, meaning it evaporates quickly. Evaporation causes cooling. Cooling causes water to condense. Hence, water and rust in the steel gas tank. The evaporating volatiles also concentrates and leaves behind varnishes that gum up everything. But the gas in a (full) tank doesn't evaporate as quickly as gas in a carb. If gas can keep on flowing into a carb, such as when the petcock is left on prime or if the float needle leaks, the thin jets (especially the idle jet) will clog. The rate will depend on weather, type of vents, and quality of gas. :2cents:

#5 ·
Many people conceve that gasoline "gunks" up...it doesn't!! Allow me to explain.

The additive that goes into your gasoline when it is pumped from the large above ground tanks to a semi to be taken to your gas station. The additive is more like a thick jelly type susbstance. This allows a larger quanity ratio.

The additive settles out and causes the "gunkness"...

#8 ·
Gas Man said:
Anytime GSXR man!!! or maybe you the boy and Twisty is the MAN!! :D

Well, hes younger then I am but one hell of a rider. A lot more ballzier then I am. But thats ok. Its all about riding and thats what we all do and do it to the best of our abilities. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.