Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first street bike last summer, 01 F4i. Prior to that I'd ride anyone's that would let me, but it's the first sport bike I ever rode. Growing up just about everyone I knew had a dirtbike or quad, so I spent quite a few years riding those.

For years I wanted a bike (I'm 30 now), but I always had it in the back of my head like everyone else, "I'm not worried about me, it's the other drivers." I decided that's no way to live, so screw it, took the MSF and got my bike. Took the advanced MSF a few months after that b/c I wanted to do it on my bike. Put a few thousand miles on now, no 180mph stoppies yet though. lol

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
I bought a Suzuki SV650S I bought brand new in 1999; first bike I ever owned. I had it delivered in a crate to my house, untouched. It was a religious experience. ;) I did the setup myself, I don't like others messing with my stuff before I have a chance to see it. :D

I had never been on a bike before so I didn't know how to ride one. It sat in my garage for a few weeks while I waited for the MSF course date to come.

In the mean time a buddy and I took his ATV out to the desert and I practiced the shifting, similar to a sportbike. As the date for the MSF course approached I had to cancel at the last minute for something, can't remember what it was.

So, I took the MC to the DMV in a truck (unregistered at that point) waited all day and finally left eight hours later. I took the state road test and written test instead of the MSF course. I passed the written by one question and the road test no problem.

The SV was/is a great bike to learn to ride; it worked out well for me.

The rest is history, just lots of riding. :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KP, how does this bike feel compared to your 88 Hurricane? lol What size was that one?

ems, you're getting old, bout time to seel that sport bike. :eek: :D

Shan, that's pretty cool... just got bit by the bike bug hard I guess. lol I'll admit, I failed the written test the first time. Couldn't believe it, especially after getting 100% on my written when I was 16.

Some of the things they taught in MSF were opposite or slightly different than what they were asking at the DPS/DMV. So, no big deal, went back and took it the next day.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Pigface1 said:
Some of the things they taught in MSF were opposite or slightly different than what they were asking at the DPS/DMV. So, no big deal, went back and took it the next day.
I found direct contradictions from the study booklet to the written test. I pointed them out to the people at the DMV and they didn't care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pigface1 said:
I bought my first street bike last summer, 01 F4i. Prior to that I'd ride anyone's that would let me, but it's the first sport bike I ever rode. Growing up just about everyone I knew had a dirtbike or quad, so I spent quite a few years riding those.

For years I wanted a bike (I'm 30 now), but I always had it in the back of my head like everyone else, "I'm not worried about me, it's the other drivers." I decided that's no way to live, so screw it, took the MSF and got my bike. Took the advanced MSF a few months after that b/c I wanted to do it on my bike. Put a few thousand miles on now, no 180mph stoppies yet though. lol
I'm on my 2nd street bike. The first one was a CBR 600 but I've now graduated to a VFR 800.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pigface1 said:
I know what it is, but it's heavier (500lbs I thinK?) and not as quick as CBR, gixxer, ZX, and R 600s. That's why I'm asking. Just curious.

VFR800 ('02) 4/02 11.22 @ 119.80

CBR600RR )'03) 6/03 10.73 @ 129.7

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_perf_nums/

I hate mag numbers, but even for a mag that's quite a bit of difference.
Hmm. I found the VFR to be quite a bit quicker actually. Of course that's just day to day riding or cruising and not racing. It is heavier but I am out on the freeway a lot and I just felt it was a safer bike. It is more comfortable too.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's cool. . I'm curious b/c eventually I'll switch. I like the feel of the 600 though, how light it is. VFRs are definitely cool, especially since you don't see them on every other corner like you do mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do think it's all just personal preferance. I really didn't like how light the CBR felt and the weight of the VFR is distributed so you don't really notice how heavy it is. I'm sure once you get the VFR you'll never go back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pigface1 said:
KP, how does this bike feel compared to your 88 Hurricane? lol What size was that one?
Night and day! I even rode an F3 not too long ago and that thing feels like a cruiser compared to the F4i!

The technology and the capability of the bike are light years ahead of what they were back in '88.

·
Registered
326 Posts
long one...

This is a great question, it made me dust off those cobwebs and try to remember those bikes I used to own. Where to begin… I started riding mini-bikes back in the 70’s. For those that were not around then, they were rigid framed bikes, banana/oval seats, very small that had a pull starter on them. I rode friends dirt bikes until I could afford my first one in high school. A used 1975 Kawasaki Enduro 175. Great bike, even my brother learned to ride it, straight into the backyard fence. The following list is to the best of my recollection. Inevitably some things are forgotten or best forgotten and may not show up here.
These are in the order of purchase:
1985 Suzuki GS550E new
1987 Suzuki GSXR750 new – raced this one
1989 Yamaha FZR1000 used
1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane used
1986 Honda TRX250R - used
1989 Yamaha FZR600 Two – used – raced these
1990 Kawasaki ZX7R – used, abused, fixed and sold – damned fast superbike mods
1993 Honda CBR600 new
1989 Honda TRX250R
1991 Honda CR250R – used, was stolen
1995 Honda CBR900RR new
1997 Suzuki TL1000S – new, raced this, bought one more
1992 Suzuki Quadrunner 250
2000 Suzuki TL1000R – new, was stolen
2001 Yamaha R1 - new
2001 Yamaha YZF426 – new
1998 Suzuki TL1000S – used
2000 Bombardier DS650
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100 – used, front hub was cracked, it almost killed me, I lemoned it back to the dealership for the next bike.
2003 Honda RC51 – new
2004 Kawasaki – ZX12R – new (current)
2000 Kawasaki KLR650 – used (current)
1998 Suzuki TL1000S - used (current)

Long winded post. It appears that I can not stay with one motorcycle for long. Contrary to that, I did keep the same wife for 19 years! ;)
Loren
Mesa, AZ :shutme

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's awesome. . I think we have the same disease only my pertains to cars. lol

Is there any particular bike you wish you still had, or one that's been your overall favorite?

How do you like the ZX12, and why'd you get rid of the RC51?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts