Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have you had while out riding? Is it something that happens once in a while or to offten?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
How Often??? Do you mean how often do you have to $heit while riding... :tt: or how often do you mess up and say Oh $heit.... :skep:

I have maybe a few when I Don't lean over enough and go wide... or some beast jumps out in the street... but for the most part... it's all good... I'm not that bad... :whistle:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
usually things are uneventful. But these past 2 months have more than made up for it. 2 BIG oh $#!t$ and 2 small ones.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
i have lil ones about once a week but i only had one that i actually almost **** myself

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Low said:
How Often??? Do you mean how often do you have to $heit while riding... :tt: or how often do you mess up and say Oh $heit.... :skep:

I have maybe a few when I lean over enough and go wide... or some beast jumps out in the street... but for the most part... it's all good... I'm not that bad... :whistle:
:withstupi :scratch:

:flush:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Never had any major ones... maybe a few minor ones where I had to slam on the brakes pretty hard or somebody cuts me off, but I never lost control and never felt like I was about to, so all was good. Almost saw my friend get taken out once by an Econoline van though... f^&%@#r turned left right in front of him. I was behind him enough that I didn't have to brake hard, but he locked it up pretty good and still came close, and it scared the $heit out of me! (and him too)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd say three in three seasons. Two were early in my days going fast and wide :here:

The last was in Indianapolis when I saw, in my rearview mirror, a large SUV barrelling down on my stopped a$$ :eek: That one resulted in a rear-ending, but no injury

They're pretty far apart. In fact, if my bike was problem-free, I'd say they'd be damn rare.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
BUMP!

I had one this past sunday. There was a yellow at the intersection and wasnt too sure if I was going to make it or not. So I decided to hit the brakes at about 50mph, and I lost traction to the rear wheel. The bike was swaying back and fourth. I calmly left my foot on the rear brake and just held on to the handlebars tight and rode out the skid. That was really the first time I let the rear wheel slip on me on the ninja, which gave me the oh **** momment :yikes: . I did it a bunch at the MSF course bikes, but the weight difference between mine and thiers is substantial. Now that I am aware of how/when the rear wheel skids on my bike, I will be much more prepared.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had my share, especially back in the day when I would push it everywhere. There are more little Oh sh**s than I can count but I think I could count all of the big ones on one hand...
You know with all of these old people in florida I get cut off or forced off the road at least about once every two weeks..

·
Premium Member
11,484 Posts
I have had a lot of other people's fault oh sh*t moments. Not as many that I have done myself while learning. One that I did myself was my first front wheel lock a little while back and watching that thing shake made me about lose all bowel control. I like to cruise, so I don't get myself into too much trouble most of the time by overdriving my abilities.

There are two other bigs ones that come to mind for me caused by others. The first happened on my first ride after getting the bike home from the dealer. I was stopped at a redlight right behind a car and heard squealing and looked behind me to see some dude in a mercedes slamming on the brakes and come within two inches of hitting my rear tire. Smashed between two cars wouldn't be a good way to start your motorcycle riding. The second happened like a week ago. I was coming around a blind corner and a teenager in a suped up truck came barreling around the corner in my lane because my lane was the inside lane and he was trying to fly through it. Missed me by about a foot.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Blade1413 said:
I've had my share, especially back in the day when I would push it everywhere. There are more little Oh sh**s than I can count but I think I could count all of the big ones on one hand...
You know with all of these old people in florida I get cut off or forced off the road at least about once every two weeks..

AZ not getting better either

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
snadamo said:
...So I decided to hit the brakes at about 50mph, and I lost traction to the rear wheel. The bike was swaying back and fourth. I calmly left my foot on the rear brake and just held on to the handlebars tight and rode out the skid...
Several times I've skidded the rear tire, but it stayed in a straight line. Almost every time I heard the skid, I thought it was someone else. One time I even modulated the front brake, not thinking it was coming from the rear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
snadamo said:
AZ not getting better either

werd.. about 2 weeks ago i found i can literally go sideways on a busa and still keep control. i was going down camelback just b 4 dysart (going to EMCC to take a final) and a chick on the phone in a toyota camary decided she needed 2 go to the walgreens and go across 3 lanes of traffic.. sadly, i did not see her cause of the f-150 going the other direction that she ended up cutting off. so i slammed on the front and rear breaks, and the rear ended up locking up so the rear of the bike kicked out and next thing u know, im FACING north, but the bike is traveling west. by this time i left off the rear break and it corrected itself. :yikes: haha, i had a dude in a blazer at the light give me a thumbs up and say he thought i was SO gonna crash. that lady.. btw, i think flipped me off for some reason.. prob cause i was some punk kid on a sportbike not paying attention :scratch:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
All my pucker moments mostly came on my first bike, My ol' suzuki 850, and all of those were pretty much because I was always ridin that f'er like it was a dirt bike, always off road :)

Definitely NOT a dirtbike:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
AZIROC said:
werd.. about 2 weeks ago i found i can literally go sideways on a busa and still keep control. i was going down camelback just b 4 dysart (going to EMCC to take a final) and a chick on the phone in a toyota camary decided she needed 2 go to the walgreens and go across 3 lanes of traffic.. sadly, i did not see her cause of the f-150 going the other direction that she ended up cutting off. so i slammed on the front and rear breaks, and the rear ended up locking up so the rear of the bike kicked out and next thing u know, im FACING north, but the bike is traveling west. by this time i left off the rear break and it corrected itself. :yikes: haha, i had a dude in a blazer at the light give me a thumbs up and say he thought i was SO gonna crash. that lady.. btw, i think flipped me off for some reason.. prob cause i was some punk kid on a sportbike not paying attention :scratch:

The worst Ive experienced so far is Mesa. My very first ride home on the bike from the shop was from Kellys Kawasaki to Scottsdale. :yikes: people performing moving violations ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! I was freaking out for a while there. Especially since 4 people cut me off via U Turn.

No Worries said:
Several times I've skidded the rear tire, but it stayed in a straight line. Almost every time I heard the skid, I thought it was someone else. One time I even modulated the front brake, not thinking it was coming from the rear
Well the road there was fairly slick and perhaps I was going over 50, who knows. It probably wasnt that much movement, but I could defininitely feel the bike moving left to right a bit in the rear. IT definitely was a really late brake situation. It looked/felt like racing on a track and braking as hard as possible before leaning into a turn. As I was braking I was thinking to myself "I didnt think I was going that fast..."

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Iv had my share over the years.
snadamo said:
There was a yellow at the intersection and wasnt too sure if I was going to make it or not. So I decided to hit the brakes at about 50mph, and I lost traction to the rear wheel. The bike was swaying back and fourth. I calmly left my foot on the rear brake and just held on to the handlebars tight and rode out the skid.
If the bike is sliding straight. I let off the rear break and re-apply.

AZIROC said:
werd.. about 2 weeks ago i found i can literally go sideways on a busa and still keep control.
Your very lucky you didn't catch a high side.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Iv had my share over the years.

If the bike is sliding straight. I let off the rear break and re-apply.

Your very lucky you didn't catch a high side.

you mean SLIGHTLY lef off the rear brake and reapply right?

Arent you supposed to hold your rear brake during a rear brake skid?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts