Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I ride seems excessive. I've talked to some people who said chains with no masterlink do not need to be waxed. So we have one extreme to the next.

What do you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
I've been told 300-500 miles (this goes for lube too). Personally, I just keep an eye on it and when it gets nasty I clean and lube it.

As a side note, be sure the chain is warm (after a good ride) when you lube it.

Larry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew about doing it when it's warm. I have a problem because my SV has no center stand. I need someone to push the bike while I spray the chain; at least that's the way I've done it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
I've been told 300-500 miles (this goes for lube too). Personally, I just keep an eye on it and when it gets nasty I clean and lube it.

As a side note, be sure the chain is warm (after a good ride) when you lube it.

Larry
Thanks dude !!! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I knew about doing it when it's warm. I have a problem because my SV has no center stand. I need someone to push the bike while I spray the chain; at least that's the way I've done it.
Time to buy a rear stand ;)
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I do mine like once a month or after I wash the bike. Keep an eye on it. I use kerosene to clean it and then lube it with what you want. Also, something to consider is whether or not your chain is a O or X ring chain. That makes a difference as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
you should clean it off first, everytime you're ready to lube/wax it correct ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
you should clean it off first, everytime you're ready to lube/wax it correct ?

I do. :D
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
If you have an X ring I would White Lithium Grease. I do it everytime I get the chain wet. You know washes or rain......YUCK
Lithium grease??? :idea: Never tried that. It doesn't glop up with road grim???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Actually, replacement chains come packed in what is essentially lithium grease.

Hey Twisty, how about a smaller pic in your sig? I'm on a dialup :D

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
twisty said:
Dude Iam self pormoting here........lol Plus chicks dig it......
Then put a link to your site there...most of us are too lazy to type in the URL :smilelol:

BTW, we need to talk about getting some flash on my site...feel free to email me.


Larry
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top