Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding in George Washington National Forest this past weekend with a good friend of mine. It was my first off-roading experience. We rode fire roads and trails Saturday and Sunday. I had an absolute BLAST! I cannot WAIT to go do it again. I even ordered good off-road (yet still DOT approved) tires for it this morning... I'm LOVING the other side of motorcycling, that's for sure!

Some of the trails we rode on Saturday really challenged me. I even had my first low-side ever. No damage to me or the bike though. I actually bailed before the bike hit the ground, so I just stood there looking at the bike... The stock tires on the bike just aren't worth a damn in mud. Whoops...

On Sunday, we started at Reddish Knob. I have to say, I've been to a ton of beautiful places but this is one of the most GORGEOUS locations on the planet. 360 degrees of the most breathtaking views imaginable... We met up with my friend's brother who's been riding dirt for 35 years and used to race AMA. Man, he's an AMAZING rider. Made me really see what the potential of my XR650L is, considering he rides one, too. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've always wanted to do some offroading. Since I finally got to do the onroad this year I might have to wait a bit though!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Becca_007 said:
I've always wanted to do some offroading.
Me too, but I have less excuse. Woods and a trail right out behind our house.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Looks like a blast man!! cool pics too! :cool: Yeah, off-roading it can be a nice change and way a to really get up close with nature, and get down n dirty..literally! :lol:

I have done riding that like in years myself, but it sure brings back memories!! :wink:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
twisty said:
I hit a tree a few years back and I gave it up after that.

its not like you to give up after just 1 crash though :cool:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
twisty said:
I hit a tree a few years back and I gave it up after that.
I hit a few trees (I know explains alot - ha ha mfrs). It is alot of fun though. But once I got on the street I forgot all about the dirt and now I am hooked on street riding. Now I just have to make it to the track on the 6.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I hit a few trees (I know explains alot - ha ha mfrs). It is alot of fun though. But once I got on the street I forgot all about the dirt and now I am hooked on street riding. Now I just have to make it to the track on the 6.
Not to hijack the thread, but I enjoyed motorcycling a little bit until I went to the track.
Now all I want to do is go to the track. :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree... For me, there is nothing like riding on the track. If I had to either give up the street or the track, it would be a no brainer. I'd never ride street again...

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Hey Steven, did you get a chance to swap bikes around at all? My next purchase is gonna be a dual sport bike, and I would like some input on those two if ya got it. The Suzuki DRZ-400 is what i'd really like to pick up.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
twisty said:
Ok I hit alot of stuff and started jumping things, like my truck, other people trucks lined up next mine....It was getting out of control. I would rather hit the pavement than a tree.
well yeah, when you put it that way then...

god I miss my xr250r all of the sudden..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
twisty said:
If it wasn't for WOS I would have been just racing instead of street riding.
:hug: :sob: :hug: :dthumb:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
Hey Steven, did you get a chance to swap bikes around at all? My next purchase is gonna be a dual sport bike, and I would like some input on those two if ya got it. The Suzuki DRZ-400 is what i'd really like to pick up.
Yeah, I rode the DRZ for a little bit. It's definitely a more modern tech bike. It doesn't have the low end pull of the XR, bit it's a smoother motor who keeps making power higher into the revs than mine.

The suspension is much stiffer.

It's a lot less comfortable...

I probably would have gotten the DRZ, but I couldn't turn down the deal I got on my XR... And, after riding both, I am happy with my decision. I know the DRZ is more capable over all, but I am more comfortable on the XR and I think it suits my ability better...

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Looks like it was alot of fun. I really miss ride in the dirt like that. But I really am a street bike man now. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Only dual sport you need to know about, this was my last one:

nice ride MP :cool: ...why did you get rid of it ?

I just dont know if I could get into the whole dual sport thing..its either all dirt or all pavement for me..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts