Two Wheel Forums banner

i put diesel in my bike!

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  marko138 
#1 ·
i put 10 quid of diesel in my cbr600rr,whats the most easy way to sort it?i have'nt started it yet,the bike got picked and now is in the garage can i just syphon the diesel out and fill up with unleaded!will this be ok?

#3 ·
ShanMan14 said:
I would think if the diesel hasn't had a chance to move through the system you just siphon it out, yes.
:iagree:

edit>, better yet tank the tank off, unscrew the petcock and drain the tank!:2cents:

#8 ·
mdob said:
i put 10 quid of diesel in my cbr600rr,whats the most easy way to sort it?i have'nt started it yet,the bike got picked and now is in the garage can i just syphon the diesel out and fill up with unleaded!will this be ok?

i drive a van all week and forgot:bonk:
:lol:
this thread made me smile. thanks- :cheers:

#11 ·
R1up0n1 said:
oh and whatever you do...DO NOT rinse the tank out with water! This will cause rust to form inside the tank.
aside from this, water and gasoline dont make good friends when you're trying to ride. rough running can and WILL result.

I suggest the same as what others have said, just drain everything, get some fresh gas, and flush everything out good. a LITTLE diesel cant really hurt, but a lot can make riding quite fun if you only like going downhill in neutral without a running engine.

#12 ·
Well as much as I would like to pretend that is something that I would NEVER do I can't. Just the other day I pulled up to the pump, I was in a hurry because my buddy was going to be meeting me at my house in a few min. So I grab the nozzel farthest to the right and put it to my tank. I noticed a second before I pulled the lever that it was a diffrent color than usual. (I always run Shell V-Power) I glanced up at the pump and just barely got my hand to stop before I pulled the lever and dispensed disel into my tank. the gas station has two sides one side is much smaller and thats were cars usually fill up the other side is HUGE and thats where the semis go, so all but one of the pumps on the car side don't even have disel but I happend to pull up to the one that did. Now I always double check and Im sure you will to. It should be fine like everyone said. Drain the gas, flush it with fresh gas and then refill it. Shell be just fine. At least you realized it before you started her up.

#15 ·
I would rinse it out with some gasoline a few times as well. Drain out all the diesel and then add about 1 gal of good gas. Splash around and drain again. Do that a couple times and go from there.

Plus don't siphon it out... that won't get it all out... like R1 said but sense you're is FI... you'll need to either pull the fuel pump or turn it upsidedown.

#19 ·
mdob said:
you know the us army are getting diesel motorbikes!
Yup, I read about that a year or so back. those seem pretty cool. makes life for them simpler too, running most everything on one fuel type.

the awesome things our army can do eh? if anyone feels the desire to discuss the military vehicles more, we can start another thread to not derail this one, much more.

#20 ·
ZX1000 said:
Yup, I read about that a year or so back. those seem pretty cool. makes life for them simpler too, running most everything on one fuel type.

the awesome things our army can do eh? if anyone feels the desire to discuss the military vehicles more, we can start another thread to not derail this one, much more.
C'mon....:jacked: is the TWF way.:twfrox:

#21 ·
ZX1000 said:

:iagree: Start a new thread.

#25 ·
When I was working at the Chevy dealer, one of the salesman sold a diesel silverado, and went to get the complimentary first fill up. He proceeds to put Gasoline in it. Needless to say that truck became unsold real fast. Don't beat yourself up too bad happens to plenty of people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.