Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all, I absolutely LOVE the R6 and I will HATE to get rid of it, but sometimes we have to make sacrifices for our future. It appears that I will be changing careers this time next year, but income won't be certain for a little while. I will be putting the R6 up for sale within the next few weeks in order to save as much money as possible over the next year. The thing that really bites is that I almost have the bike set up just the way I want it. I'm going to take a HUGE loss when I sell, but I need the money from payments to go into savings so that I can have enough next year in case money isn't flowing in well. I know I'm going to sell, but I still can't force myself to put the bike on the market yet. Damn, this sucks, but I can always get another bike in two or three years.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I did just buy the bike, which is why I'll take such a huge loss on it. The problem with waiting until next year to sell is that I'll be tempted to do things such as track days or other upgrades. Whether I sell now or later, I'll still take a loss on the bike. I'll do some calculations to see what will be best financially, although much of it will be guesswork. I think I will at least hold onto it for another month or so and ride it until I only owe what it's worth.

The biggest problem is that the career change is rather sudden. I never thought I'd leave this job, but things have changed from what was expected when I first arrived four years ago. I just can't continue with a job when I'm this unhappy on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'll do some calculations over the next few days and make the best financial decision.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Yes, I did just buy the bike, which is why I'll take such a huge loss on it. The problem with waiting until next year to sell is that I'll be tempted to do things such as track days or other upgrades. Whether I sell now or later, I'll still take a loss on the bike. I'll do some calculations to see what will be best financially, although much of it will be guesswork. I think I will at least hold onto it for another month or so and ride it until I only owe what it's worth.

The biggest problem is that the career change is rather sudden. I never thought I'd leave this job, but things have changed from what was expected when I first arrived four years ago. I just can't continue with a job when I'm this unhappy on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'll do some calculations over the next few days and make the best financial decision.
:sorry:
You've probably already considered this but selling earlier also allows you to drop things you'll be paying on like insurance and any upcoming title fees (which aren't cheap in IN anyway). Throw in the reduction in likelihood of any unfortunate mishaps and selling earlier makes financial sense.

Cap, I went through a complete career change b/c of massive stress and dislike for my career at the time. Dropped about $20k per year in the change but I don't regret it one bit. Best of luck on the change and drop a line if there's any help I can provide locally.

BTW, we expect to still see some posts from you, though :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure what your situation is but a guy I work with sold his bike because he needed money. Said it didn't end up helping a whole lot. He ended up broke anyway and says he should have kept the two wheeler. If you can pay it off in a years time making some other sacrifices then you'd be able to keep the bike and not be making payments. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I hear ya....damn shame, but ya gotta do what's best for the family. I did the same thing your doing bout 8 yrs ago, and haven't regretted it one bit.

:luck: with the career change.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That blows Capt... I take it that your taking a pay cut?

I would do about anything to keep a MC in my household!

I wish you the best luck with your sale. Make sure you stick around here regardless!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Captain, I would sell the R6 now since it's an 05, and summer is coming so it'll be easy to sell. I'd buy an older sport bike. They make better street bikes anyway. You'll save a bunch by dropping collision, and fire and theft.

I would save by getting rid of the cell phone, digital cable, and high-speed internet. I'd eat and drink at home, rent DVD's from the library, and sell my excess stuff on ebay. If you spend less than you make, even though it's un-American, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I don't really see any other areas that I can cut and save money. I have certainly considered everything that kanwisch mentioned, which is one of the big reasons I want to sell now. I'd hate to have an incident which would cost more money. Regardless of how safe I ride, we can't predict the future and I've seen that ANYTHING can happen at any time.

Bandit, I'm not broke, and keeping the bike won't make me broke, but I want to save money in case things don't pan out as quickly with the new job next year. I may have to dip into savings and I want to have plenty saved. Taxes, title, extended warranty, etc. came to $9300, so payments are $400 per month. I owe about $7600 on the loan right now. If I sell now, I can pay MOST of that off from the sale price of the bike and then make MUCH smaller payments over the next couple years. I'd be able to save about $300 per month over the course of the next year, plus whatever I'd save from insurance and license plate rebates.

No Worries, I can't cut cell phone because it's necessary for work, both in this job and the next. I don't have any cable except absolute basic and there is no point in cutting high speed internet. I don't have a home phone, so I would need that, plus the cost of dial-up would put me close to the cost of high speed internet. Not much savings. Besides, I need internet in order to finish up school. I don't watch many movies at all, so again, not saving any money there. I can't save any more money on a car because I have a 91 Toyota Corolla which means low insurance, NO payments and very little maintenance. Believe me, I've run through ALL of this and selling the bike would save me the MOST money possible.

I would be taking a pay cut for about two or three years, so I really think it's in my best interest to sell the bike. Hate it, but really need to do it. I will also be selling off excess stuff on eBay, just to make sure I get as much money as possible into savings.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, let us know when you post up stuff. While I'm far from a pack rat, I'm always on the lookout for useful stuff. And damn, you've certainly done the accounting thing, huh? :lol: Hope the advanced education's worth it and keep us updated :luck:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
captain......sell the bike and get an older maybe 2- 3 grand bike......an sv 2001 or lower is maybe 3 grand! comon you need a bike and sell the corola inless you have to have A CAR :luck: :luck: :luck: :twfrox:

regardless you have to keep post whoring :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
Can this be fixed? If the boss is an idiot, well you can't change em. You can either quit or be the best you can. The boss's boss will notice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts