Two Wheel Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Super Duty 2 boots and I'm having a few problems. The first problem is the fact that Icon DOES NOT respond to any type of contact through their website ( www.rideicon.com ). They do not list their phone number on their website either, and when you look it up through they yellow pages, There is no listing for Icon Motosports.

The second problem is the fact that I rode with these boots only 7 times and the right heel is separating in the back. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

My second problem is that the rubber is chipping off the top on the left boot.
another pic:

I bought the boots from an online retailer on ebay that goes by the name moto-Parts ( http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=STRK:MEWN:SID ) They have not responded to any of my questions either.

Does anybody know how to find a contact number for Icon? This is a warning to anybody considering these boots. I would also advise to stay away from moto-parts on ebay.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
[email protected] dude that sucks! I like Icon products but have never been a fan of their boots or shoes. I had Icon gloves, but they didn't even last a year before holes appeared between the thumb and index finger, also at the tips of the fingers. I guess too many tight grip wheelies will do that. My new Pilot Kevlars will last alot longer than the Icon's I can tell.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I've heard alot of bad things about Icon stuff... and with other companies coming out like SpeedRag that offers better pricing and better quality stuff!

:welcome: to TWF... I hope you're here to stay and not to just drop bad news!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i love my icon super duty's but i also have the original pair, very stiff at first but once they are broken in they are awsome, i would just super glue the sole back on, it happens to all my shoes.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
zx636r said:
i love my icon super duty's but i also have the original pair, very stiff at first but once they are broken in they are awsome, i would just super glue the sole back on, it happens to all my shoes.
they make stuff called "shoe Goo" super glue won't work, epoxy or silicone would work better than super glue. Look for shoe goo.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
twisty said:
i woundn't buy Icon if they were free:))) There sh!t is junk and it doesnt protect worth a damn.
let me guess we should all wear race boots for normal street riding, lol actually the ones i have are really thick leather and thick pading, jacket i also have have thicker leather then most of the other jacket i have seen.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
twisty said:
I didnt say that, but if you want to be my guest. Icon is crap now get over it. Joe Rocket makes some good everyday riding boots, along with sidi and some others. Icon is squid wear.
then i guess im a squid casue i like to look good. plus no one else wants to make a green leather jacket

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Don't take it too hard there 636... Twisty can be very opinionated. I too don't really like the Icon stuff. I don't like their pricing rules, and their quality never seems to be up to par with some of the other brands... However, I'm glad you like your jacket.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gas Man said:
Don't take it too hard there 636... Twisty can be very opinionated.
And mis-informed, and over-generalizing. But I digress...

ANY product you buy that is made in China/Korea/Pakistan is going to have problems with consistancy and quality control. This includes Icon, Joe Rocket, AGV (their lower-end stuff), Teknic, etc, etc, etc ... not to mention DVD players, furniture, etc.

Unfortunately this is where all mid to low price point manufacturing is headed.

- Roach

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Hey man, try dialing 18005551212, it is the directory listing, like 411, for ALL companies with 800 numbers. I have an Icon Tarmac Jacket and I haven't had any issues with it. The stitching is somewhat disintergrated but that's from throwin it around and rubbing on the tank when I'm crouched over.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with Icon stuff but I also don't really care for their gloves, so I have JR and AlpineStars gloves.

You want comfortable riding boots that are still somewhat "fashionable"? It may sound a little funny but I have a pair of waterproof, steel toed boots from Bramha! Yes, the brand that WalMart sells. I've had them for a while and they were only $30.00 so Yeah, I'd say go buy them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Aren't those ICON boots priced at sub-$100? I think it's the case of you get what you paid for. On the other hand, I paid $150 for a pair of Sidi Scorpion boot (similar looking to the ICON street riding boots) and they have treated me very good for the past year. Nothing's coming apart and the sole is still very thick despite being used to walk around school campus daily. In addition, the shoe is very easy to get in with the velcro straps and soooo much lighter than the regular boots.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm with ya Graff... I wear a pair of Red Wing leather steel toe boots when I'm riding and not wearing full leathers. That way if I gots to get hostile I got the boot for the job! :dthumb:

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:

ANY product you buy that is made in China/Korea/Pakistan is going to have problems with consistancy and quality control. This includes Icon, Joe Rocket, AGV (their lower-end stuff), Teknic, etc, etc, etc ... not to mention DVD players, furniture, etc.

- Roach
Icon is junk and a it shows in all the ratings and quality tests. Some people around here are blowhards and just want to sell people junk. It s like asking a car sales man "Is this a good car".

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
To each, his own. Personal experiences are everything. I guess that's why one guy swears up and down Chevy trucks are the best and the next, Ford.

It's a matter of preference and affordability. Not everyone can afford the "top" stuff, but I'm sure everyone would be more sympathetic to a "squid" that was wearing Icon versus no gear at all.

We've only tested one Icon product, here on TWF, and the Tarmac gloves have been holding up just fine. I'd be hard pressed to call them "junk"; particularly considering the price point.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion based on personal experiences. Broad generalizations regarding anything is an easy way to be proven wrong. Would agree with a Harley rider who told you that all sportbike riders are "squids" and dangerous? Nah, I don't think so. :wink:

Sorry your having problems with your boots, I agree that shouldn't have happened so soon. I, too, looked for a customer service contact on their website and only found the email submission page. :sorry:

·
Registered
893 Posts
The reason there isn't any information on Icon is because it is a Parts Unlimited brand. It is owned by PU and only sold through them. Contact the online retailer or local dealer you purchased them from because they will have better luck contacting ICON. Depending on how long you've worn them and what is happening, the retailer may be able to get something taken care of. It all depends on the situation.

As for retailers on here just wanting to sell people junk, if a customer ever walked into our shop, we would give them our personal opinion on any brand they asked about in terms of quality. It isn't the retailers job, however, to police online sales by contacting each person to tell them "hey, we really think this is crap, just want to let you know." Let's be realistic here.

On top of that, if retailers pushed the nicer stuff (alpinestars, dainese, ku****ani, etc.), then everyone would complain that "the retailers are just trying to sell the really nice stuff."

I personally don't like some of ICON's stuff, but after seeing a customer of ours get into a really bad accident in an ICON jacket and walk away without a scratch and the jacket held up well, I have to say it did its job. Will every ICON product do that? Probably not. He was lucky. Certain brands are better than others, but some people just don't want to fork out the $$$ for the good stuff, so something is ALWAYS better than nothing!

--Laura

·
Registered
321 Posts
SpeedWerks.com said:

ANY product you buy that is made in China/Korea/Pakistan is going to have problems with consistency and quality control. This includes Icon, Joe Rocket, AGV (their lower-end stuff), Teknic, etc, etc, etc ... not to mention DVD players, furniture, etc.

- Roach
Well Said. I have had no problems with any of my icon stuff (and I have a lot, just a squid I guess) but I do have a few friends that have had some problems with sizing and quality control.

To say that Icon gear isn't safe is just plain silly.

I'm not sure what's going on with Icon as they haven't answered any of my emails in the past few months. I heard a rumor that they have been bought out by Parts Unlimited, so maybe there is some personnel changes being made.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Big Kahuna said:
I'm not sure what's going on with Icon as they haven't answered any of my emails in the past few months. I heard a rumor that they have been bought out by Parts Unlimited, so maybe there is some personnel changes being made.
Big Kahuna, If you see my post above, ICON *is* Parts Unlimited. It's a PU brand. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.