Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding on Graffix 05R6 I really want to get a bike. I signed up for the MSF beginner course and will take it a week after July 4th. Graffix said he is going to show me some things but not get on the bike because its too powerful. We are going to go to the dealers and look for a bike for me. What would you all recommend? Do you think a 500cc is too big?

Oh yeah and :twfrox:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
PhoenixGirlie said:
...... What would you all recommend? Do you think a 500cc is too big?

Oh yeah and :twfrox:

There are a lot of good threads on here regarding the Ninja EX500, Suzuki GS-500 both are good starter bikes and some what cheaper than the 600's. Horsepower is not too high, but enough to get you around.

My daughter rides a Ninja EX 500 and likes it. She has also rode it on the track as well as the street.

Here is a link to an EX500 forum that has a lot of great info specific to the smaller bike.

http://www.ex500riders.com/forums/

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,876 Posts
f4ilapper said:
There are a lot of good threads on here regarding the Ninja EX500, Suzuki GS-500 both are good starter bikes and some what cheaper than the 600's. Horsepower is not too high, but enough to get you around.

My daughter rides a Ninja EX 500 and likes it. She has also rode it on the track as well as the street.

Here is a link to an EX500 forum that has a lot of great info specific to the smaller bike.

http://www.ex500riders.com/forums/

Rob
That's what I said also. I know a place with a couple of 500s that are only asking like $3K for them and they seem to be in decent condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
good luck on the MSF and on the bike hunt. I would think a 500 would be about perfect, good "starter" bike, but plenty of power to keep you happy for a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,886 Posts
I see a lot more girls w/ 600's now. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. IMO the looks of bikes start to go downhill after the 600 cc models but they are cheaper too. I'd go with the R6...oh wait i already have. But take a look at your budget and determine how much you can spend/afford. I suggest new but that's me. i think a 500 would be fine and a 600 would be just a little too much, but you can get use to it. If you can get a decent 500 for 3k like G said then do it. Once you get use to that you'll be looking for a 600. Good luck shopping. Ask for free gear when you buy too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
PhoenixGirlie said:
Isnt that kinda big? :scratch: Same with the R1... :scratch:
Yeah, but if you're gonna get a bike, get a bike, don't screw around. ZX12 would be good too. Just don't think about modding it until you get a few hundred miles under your belt. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Seriously, though, how tall are you? A lot of girls have problems touching the ground with both feet even on 600s. If you're starting out from scratch, don't even think about a 600. Go with a 500, or even something like a Honda Rebel. And get used, b/c eventually you will drop it, most likely in a parking lot or your driveway. Starting out on a brand new bike isn't smart, at least, from a financial perspective.

It's fun to look, but don't make any decisions until you take and pass the MSF b/c you'll have an entirely different outlook on things. Once you do pass the MSF, just throw caution to the wind and get a busa and wear matching bandanas, sunglasses, and flip flops. That'd be tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
That's what I said also. I know a place with a couple of 500s that are only asking like $3K for them and they seem to be in decent condition.

I paid $2500 for my daughter's last fall it was a '01. The thing I like the best is most everything is steel not cast aluminum. So when it gets dropped you bend it back or weld it up your self.

My daughter picked the Ninja 500R for the seat height and her ability to balance the weight without being on her toes. The real weight difference was only like 20 lbs from the F4i. It is a much more comfortable ride though.

I 100% agree on getting a used one. You just have to do your homework on the inspection. The Ninja has a reasonable amount of spare parts available on e-bay at sometimes good deals. And Ronayers has all the OEM parts online. :dthumb:

:luck:

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
If you don't mind getting used, Honda made a great beginner bike. Mid 80's VF 500 Interceptor. A V-twin (edit, my mistake, it's a V-4, not a V-twin) that was way ahead of it's time. I heard of one woman in Denver who still races one and wins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
The VF500 Interceptor is a 4-cylinder V4. I drove the wheels off one (50,000) miles over 11 years. Along with 2 other bikes through the same period. I really loved it. But when I bought an 11 year newer bike, 96 CBR600, I was amazed at how clumsy the Interceptor was. However I would not hesitate to recommend it as a starter bike.

Honda did make a 2 cylinder v-twin VTR250 maybe thats the bike you are thinking of.

Another overlooked really fun bike (I owned) was the VT500 Ascot. V-twin 500. I put about 50,000 miles on that bike too. Modded the heck out of it. A lot of folks raced these as well as the single cylinder FT500 in the 80s. The VT felt so nimble to me, it was like a dirt bike.

I think a lot of folks today start out with expensive late model 600s. When they can get a really decent 20 year old ride for less than $2000, and then when the crash it, the out of pocket loss is much less.

I have always been sort of Honda biased. Probably since one of my buddies dad owned a honda shop. But I do think in the 80's honda had the upper hand at fit, finish and reliability. Into the 90's all the Japanese 4 became really onto the same par. I am not saying the other mfgs weren't making notable machines. I love the Kaw & Zuk 3 cylinder 2 stroke death machines. What a blast to ride. I guess what I am saying, if one was to look for a 20+ year old bike, I would push them onto a Honda, but that's just me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pigface1 said:
Seriously, though, how tall are you? A lot of girls have problems touching the ground with both feet even on 600s. If you're starting out from scratch, don't even think about a 600. Go with a 500, or even something like a Honda Rebel. And get used, b/c eventually you will drop it, most likely in a parking lot or your driveway. Starting out on a brand new bike isn't smart, at least, from a financial perspective.

It's fun to look, but don't make any decisions until you take and pass the MSF b/c you'll have an entirely different outlook on things. Once you do pass the MSF, just throw caution to the wind and get a busa and wear matching bandanas, sunglasses, and flip flops. That'd be tight.
lol @ flip flops...with a skirt right?

Nah I'm only 5'2 thats the problem I had with graffix bike too
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Pgirl... they are pulling your leg on the busa, 12r, r1!!!

You are online enough..there is TONS of threads on this subject... but to sum it up...

Kawasaki EX500 and/or Suzuki GS500 are nice bikes and will have a lower amount of power that is good for a newbie. However, they don't have the room to expend like some others I'll recommend.

Forget anything above a 600cc inline or 650 v-twin!!!!

A SV650 would be another great bike for a newbie, and even a girl. Super's wife has one and it is great. It also has suspension adjustability that is good for lowering it and making it ride better for the lighter wiehgt of a girl.

Any 600cc inline four bike would be fine. I suggest a R6, just because I think they are a good all around bike. And nobody who owns one says anything bad about them. That is what I'm going to get the wife when I can afford it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Gas Man said:
Pgirl... they are pulling your leg on the busa, 12r, r1!!!

You are online enough..there is TONS of threads on this subject... but to sum it up...

Kawasaki EX500 and/or Suzuki GS500 are nice bikes and will have a lower amount of power that is good for a newbie. However, they don't have the room to expend like some others I'll recommend.

Forget anything above a 600cc inline or 650 v-twin!!!!

A SV650 would be another great bike for a newbie, and even a girl. Super's wife has one and it is great. It also has suspension adjustability that is good for lowering it and making it ride better for the lighter wiehgt of a girl.

Any 600cc inline four bike would be fine. I suggest a R6, just because I think they are a good all around bike. And nobody who owns one says anything bad about them. That is what I'm going to get the wife when I can afford it!

You are a squid for suggesting an R6 as a first bike to someone who never rode before.. Next thing I know you will be riding the Kaw in those white trash shorts you were sporting @ Twisty's last year..

Get a Katana or a Ninja 500 or something like that.. Katana is a great starter bike.. FZR is another..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
I'll second the Katana as a great starter bike. But it might be a bit heavy for you. I also don't think you would be able to lower it enough while still maintaining acceptable handling.

I would say you would be better off going with an ex500, or a gs500. both are great bike with some aftermarket goodies available. If you go with a gs, get an older one, sans fairings. Ride it around for a while and get comfortable. Then when you are confident enough, scour e-bay and pick up a set of full fairings from a 2004+ gs. from what i hear they should bolt right up with little modification, and presto you have a brand new, half decent looking bike that insurance isn't gonna nail you for.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top