Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is illegal when it comes to mounting or modifing your plate/tag?

Many of the states are different...

You see alot of riders mounting their tag way under their tail and in front of the rear wheel. WAY ILLEGAL!

Alot of MC's don't have a tag light either...

And what about something like this Tag Relocator

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
You would probably need a light for it. I'd rather settle for a tight eliminater kit like the one I have. It can't be obstructed and needs a light.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dunno about other states, but Florida statutes read in chapter 316 of the Uniform Traffic Code that the plate must be viewable from 100 feet to the rear and illuminated by a light which causes the plate to be viewable by 50 feet from the rear at night.

Also in chapter 320.08068 of the uniform traffic code it states in regard specifically to motorcycle plates that "Florida must appear at the top of the plate"

I know that this has been used to uphold citations that were issued for plates that were mounted vertically.

Of course these laws vary from state to state, and may not be the same or illegal in the state where you live. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Cali doesn't bother you about the location as long as it's in plain view.....unless they want to bust your stones for something else.

Snakemann are you a LEO?

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
snakemann said:
I dunno about other states, but Florida statutes read in chapter 316 of the Uniform Traffic Code that the plate must be viewable from 100 feet to the rear and illuminated by a light which causes the plate to be viewable by 50 feet from the rear at night.

Also in chapter 320.08068 of the uniform traffic code it states in regard specifically to motorcycle plates that "Florida must appear at the top of the plate"

I know that this has been used to uphold citations that were issued for plates that were mounted vertically.

Of course these laws vary from state to state, and may not be the same or illegal in the state where you live. :cheers:

In AZ, where I was a LEO, you can legally mount your tag vertically. So long as it was displayed to the rear of the vehicle, it was okay.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Our thanks to Snakemann, our resident county mountie, for that bit of legal research. May he never know what we did to his RR while he was on vacation and left it in my garage with the key in it...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm confused. Veritical is up and down the way all plates are mounted when stock. You guys mean horizontal right? I think mounting a plate that is hidden in some way is just asking for trouble. Probably, if they can see it and it has a light they will leave you alone. :cheers:

Just re-read. Do you mean turning the plate so the numbers go up and down?

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
horizontal means the top of the plate where the state name is goes left to right
Vertical means the top where the state name is goes up and down

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Oh something I know is illegal. My friend with his 97 CBR F3 spent hours chipping and peeling the coating off his license plate. He polishes everything, well he decided to do his plate. The first day out....ha ha ticket! and man when the sun hit that plate it was blinding!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That's almost a squidly move by your friend SV!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's for sure!

·
Registered
461 Posts
bumblebee said:
....May he never know what we did to his RR while he was on vacation and left it in my garage with the key in it...
Hey I figure you hitting the rev limiter a few times beats it ending up on ebay with the VIN scratched off.......besides I know as uncomfortable as that seat is that you didn't stay on it very long at once.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW sounds like true friendship! :hug: :D

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
On my F3, I had the tag mounted under the seat.
I got a ticket for it by a cop harassing bikers at a local hang out.
I fought it in court and won!

The tag was mounted in plain view for over 50 ft., as long as I wasn't setting on the bike.
I removed the light from the mud guard and mounted for the light. It wasn't installed at the time of the ticket.
I took a pic of the tag in the day and night and went to court.

The officer argued it wasn't mounted in the factory location.
I argued it met the rules.
The judge looked at the pic's and dismissed the case.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't you love it when you win!! :D

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
snakemann said:
Hey I figure you hitting the rev limiter a few times beats it ending up on ebay with the VIN scratched off.......besides I know as uncomfortable as that seat is that you didn't stay on it very long at once.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
How true, how true...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't know if this is relevant in the States, BUT!!!!!!! :2cents:

Your rego plate must be clearly visible from DIRECTLY BEHIND. Some of us have our rego stickers mounted on a bracket at 90 degrees to the plate effectively partially obscuring the plate from an angle. Keep in mid that most speed cameras are mounted on the side of the road, facing across the road at an angle. If 2 characters are obscured, the speed camera photo is no good.

Who told me about this? a bike riding Cop mate!!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Gas Man,

I know in the back of one of my magazines they show like this thing that flips your plate up and down underneath the tail section by a switch that you mount on the bars around the triple-tree. I also saw a mount that you can get that puts it by the chain.

I'd rather the flip-up/down cause that'll allow you to get away from the popo cause I know in NY they must stop the chase when you hit 100+ mph.

G

1 - 20 of 23 Posts