Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Kat in this morning to get the carbs cleaned and plugs replaced! nice 50 minute ride out the shop! but then it started to get closer, and I panicked knowing I was leaving my beast all by herself for a few days. :willy: :willy:

Service manager asked when I needed it back, I said I've got an appt. for wednesday, but they guy on the phone said to drop it off today, to see if they can get to it sooner. I need to pick up at the latest thursday morning, I told him, for the ride! He said ok, he'll call me when she's done.

I was so sad on the way home...then left for work, in THE CAGE!!! :puke: and the usual spot that Kat sits in was empty!! :sob:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Took the Kat in this morning to get the carbs cleaned and plugs replaced! nice 50 minute ride out the shop! but then it started to get closer, and I panicked knowing I was leaving my beast all by herself for a few days. :willy: :willy:

Service manager asked when I needed it back, I said I've got an appt. for wednesday, but they guy on the phone said to drop it off today, to see if they can get to it sooner. I need to pick up at the latest thursday morning, I told him, for the ride! He said ok, he'll call me when she's done.

I was so sad on the way home...then left for work, in THE CAGE!!! :puke: and the usual spot that Kat sits in was empty!! :sob:

Don't you worry abouyt that empty spot. I will park my bike there and filler up just fine. hehehe They better get it in there and back to you before thursday or by then. Can't have you waiting till friday to get it back. That is cutting it to close. :dthumb:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry if this is obvious to most, but ever consider doing the carb cleaning yourself? The plugs are, normally, way easy, but the carbs require a few more tools and a manual. But I gotta believe even after new tools its cheaper doing it yourself.

'Course, that's easy to say living in a house with an attached, warm garage :whistle:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kanwisch said:
Sorry if this is obvious to most, but ever consider doing the carb cleaning yourself? The plugs are, normally, way easy, but the carbs require a few more tools and a manual. But I gotta believe even after new tools its cheaper doing it yourself.

'Course, that's easy to say living in a house with an attached, warm garage :whistle:
yeah, the plugs are easy, but im not too sure of myself with the carbs yet, nor do i have the proper tools to take care of it.

so i figured, why take off the plastic, change the plugs, then put it back on, to ride it up there, so they can take it back off again. plus it leaves me a nice paper trail of maint at the dealer, just in case i'd ever need it.

besides, my garage is cold.. :lol:

·
Registered
519 Posts
No doubt under warranty this makes sense, unless you're quite a grease monkey. Especially if there's even a remote chance you'll be selling it to get a new ride. People like the paper trail too.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
yeah, the plugs are easy, but im not too sure of myself with the carbs yet, nor do i have the proper tools to take care of it.

so i figured, why take off the plastic, change the plugs, then put it back on, to ride it up there, so they can take it back off again. plus it leaves me a nice paper trail of maint at the dealer, just in case i'd ever need it.

You can use your new book you just got. The "How it Goes" book. :lol: That has a lot of helpful info in it. :dthumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have the if you don't know how it works, take it apart and figure it out mentality. i had to drop my engine in my Bandit600 this summer for some work, it wasn't too bad, now its on to the carbs, then i got the carbs on the cx500, cb750, and kz1000. then after that its chain and sprockets on the CB and the KZ, and brakes on them too. then i think i will have everything in operating condition. oh yeah, can't forget the oil changes :)

matt

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i try that as well..but not when its this close to a weekend ride..my luck, i'd take it apart to figure it out, then either mess it up, or lose a part in my hurry to make sure its all good...then im sunk for the weekend...which would really suck.

i'll tinker around with it this winter though.. :thumbs:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:

Yeah, we went over this with N4S and he wasn't going for doing it himself.

Cold garage's suck!!! That's why I have insolation, even on my garage door, and a nice Kero heater!!! :dthumb:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah, we went over this with N4S and he wasn't going for doing it himself.

Cold garage's suck!!! That's why I have insolation, even on my garage door, and a nice Kero heater!!! :dthumb:

I don't blame him for not wanting to do it himself. For something like that and him nor myself doing it before ourself wouldn't be the smartest thing for us to try to do. Smart move on taking it to get done by ppl that know what they are doing. :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
O, heck! How else are you suppose to learn if you don't F up every once and a while!!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Gas Man said:
O, heck! How else are you suppose to learn if you don't F up every once and a while!!!
The first time is the worst, because it's all new, but after that it's easy. When I change spark plugs, I use non-resistor plugs, which are the best. But most service shops use resistor-type. I always put a dab of anti-seize compound on the plug threads, but most shops won't do that.

The mechanics have to perform the service in a specified time. You can take your time. Costs me $8 and about an hour's time, and part of that time is spent looking for the plug socket or long extension. :2cents:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dont worry..u'll be the first to know when I tinker around with the carbs over the winter..and the first ones I come to when I F it up..so I can blame u for making me try it! :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
You can use your new book you just got. The "How it Goes" book. :lol: That has a lot of helpful info in it. :dthumb:
oh shut up, dave, you have one too...and I only bought it for you two because they were $1 together. :lol:

·
Registered
392 Posts
3BoyzNaBike said:
Poor Missy! The he11 she must go through when your baby isn't home. :(
Thank you for thinking of me!!!! :hug: Actually, it was pretty funny. I followed him out there in the car, and we were just down the road from the dealer when all of a sudden Matt started riding different. I had to laugh to myself, because I could see him start to panic. Instead of just riding it like usual, he started swerving back and forth, and goofing off, riding slower to make the ride a little longer. Then we get to the dealer, and he's just riding around the parking lot in circles. He was all quiet on the way home, and when he saw the empty space where normally his bike is, he just stood and stared. :( It'll all be over soon, hopefully! :wink:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
He's like a big baby missin his passifier (sp?).... OEW!!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gas Man said:
He's like a big baby missin his passifier (sp?).... OEW!!!

ok DJ..its pacifier!! oh,sorry for that cut chris, my bad! :lol:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
CrunchieJD said:
Thank you for thinking of me!!!! :hug: Actually, it was pretty funny. I followed him out there in the car, and we were just down the road from the dealer when all of a sudden Matt started riding different. I had to laugh to myself, because I could see him start to panic. Instead of just riding it like usual, he started swerving back and forth, and goofing off, riding slower to make the ride a little longer. Then we get to the dealer, and he's just riding around the parking lot in circles. He was all quiet on the way home, and when he saw the empty space where normally his bike is, he just stood and stared. :( It'll all be over soon, hopefully! :wink:

:lol: OMG the image is just priceless, sorry Matt but I had to laugh!! You know, I wonder if they would ever act that way if they had to get rid of us for a few days. Doubt it! DJ would probably be :here: :here: WOO HOO!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
3BoyzNaBike said:
:lol: OMG the image is just priceless, sorry Matt but I had to laugh!! You know, I wonder if they would ever act that way if they had to get rid of us for a few days. Doubt it! DJ would probably be :here: :here: WOO HOO!!
That was a great mental image.

I cheated the learning thing. My bike's worth so little, I'm not really concerned about screwing it up. This past summer I learned why you don't do major maint in the riding season. Did my valve job and hosed a part of the engine casing, putting it out of commission for like two months. :cursin: :sob:

Just think how crazy you'd have been, DJ, if that was you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts