Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MIAMI (Reuters) - A U.S. motorcyclist made the 5,632-mile trek from the northernmost road in Alaska to the southernmost tip of Florida in 100 hours and set a transcontinental record certified by the "Iron Butt Association" of bike enthusiasts.
"I'm a little tired ... a little bit bruised," biker Gary Eagan said by phone from Key West, Florida, on Tuesday, a day after finishing the journey on his Ducati Multistrada.

He bested the old transcontinental "Iron Butt" record of 114 hours and 49 minutes, set last year by a BMW rider from Maryland.

A few hours after starting his solo journey on a gravel road in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, a truck forced Eagan off the road and his motorcycle flipped over into the tundra, breaking his windshield, one rearview mirror, auxiliary fuel tank and shearing off the saddlebag containing his spare clothes.

"I think I broke my big toe and dislocated my finger and elbow a little bit," said Eagan, 56, of Salt Lake City, Utah.

He patched the bike together with zip ties and drove on through Alaska, Canada and the continental United States, making a pit stop in Kansas City to change tires, and stopping occasionally to nap or refuel.

Eagan said he endured suspicious border patrol agents, traffic snarls and torrential thunderstorms but completed the trek without any speeding tickets.

"You don't have to really ride that fast to do a record like that. You just have to stay on the bike and be efficient," he said.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seriously, there are probably a couple of places you could dial it up to 120-130 for a half hour at a time. Course there are quite a few bikes that would do that pretty easily, that k1200RS would have been good.

Whatever bike you used, some gel-pak ass cheek pads are definetly in order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In this month's issue of RIDER magazine. there's an article about Emilio Scotto who, starting in 1985, spent ten (10!) years traveling around the world on a 1984 Goldwing. He racked up 485000 miles. Apparently Honda published five articles in their RED RIDER magazine that goes into greater detail than does RIDER. I certainly hope some one publishes a book about this adventure.

http://www.emilioscotto.com/adventure.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the RIDER article, Scotto holds the Guinness for the longest ever journey by a motorcycle.

I'm pretty sure the I remember reading about some guy's 50's era Harley having spun up a legitimate 1.2 million miles back in the 60's. I tried to find something on google but haven't figured out a good boolean to narrow down the zillion returns on anything with "Harley" in the search string.

And that could be a record just for Harleys. No doubt there's some 97 year old gent in Italy some where with 3 million on his 40's Moto Gucci...

While on his travel through Japan, Scotto got a nose-to-tail rebuild on his Gold Wing from Honda - for free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a few friends from San Diego BMW club that have done the "4 corners" and a couple have done it forward and backward.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
dtwalkerfl said:
I have a few friends from San Diego BMW club that have done the "4 corners" and a couple have done it forward and backward.
and how'd they feel afterwards ? :eek: :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Amazing shiznit, I can't even find a couple hours a week to ride my cycle never mind going half way around the states.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Dman Now that is insane. My a$$ gets tired from 2-3 hrs on it non stop. Heck with 100 hrs. :D

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
double2000r6 said:
No doubt - I ride sometimes 5-6 hours and I feel like I am going into traction for a day or two - my back is killing me.

3 hrs and my back starts to feel it. Don't get me wrong, I love to ride. I don't think I can do 100 hrs with a few stops to rest and get gas. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts