Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to burn out a gear? I mean like I believe there is a power loss or something like wind going through something on the bike when I'm doing like 40-55 in second. Unless I shouldn't do that?

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
40-55 in second....:lol: I have seen that in first. And I know Twisty on his gixxer 1000 has to as well.

But on your question to burn out a gear...Yes..it is possible to do so.

What are you seeing happen to ask this question?

·
Registered
461 Posts
According to Motorcyclist magazine the '04 R1 will do 105 in first gear before it hits redline.......but I can't see that as being conducive with a long trouble free life with your running gear :lol:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
LOL Now how many times are we going to do that in first gear? Not me. :lol: Did it say anything about the R6. I think thats what Grafixx01 owns.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
LOL Now how many times are we going to do that in first gear? Not me. :lol: Did it say anything about the R6. I think thats what Grafixx01 owns.
Well, when I first got the bike (yes an R6), it seemed like it had more power than it does now while in second. But when I ride second at like 45-50, it sounds like as if you would put like a metal sheet on a bicycle and let if flap through the spokes. You know what I mean?

G

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
How long have you had the bike? I would take it in if its making that noise.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Tell them you did factory break-in and wouldn't even think about wheelies.
Don't volunteer this info until asked. :2cents:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
:luck: Hope it isn't serious!
Its hard to diagnose with out hearing the sound first hand.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
It's basically brand new, just take it to the dealer for warrenty work!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man,
:sorry: to hear that. Maybe it's something minor. But I would definitely get it looked at. I wouldn't think a brand new machine should be making funny noises like that.

:luck: :twfrox:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
snakemann said:
According to Motorcyclist magazine the '04 R1 will do 105 in first gear before it hits redline.......but I can't see that as being conducive with a long trouble free life with your running gear :lol:
Not sure about the 105 and my FZ1 is an 01 not an 04 but I will say I rolled into it and I meen rolled into it and as it got around 8000 rpms it was doing 80mph and starting to lift the front wheel up. Now this red lines at 11,500 so 100 and some change is not imposible in first gear or at least 100mph.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
In light of my last post on this thread I got a chance to get out on a back road and give a first gear test. I did not RED LINE it but at around 10,500 it was about 80 still,no real gains beyond 8000rpms in speed, So I would say for the FZ1 which is a refined R1, It would take a little taller gear or higher reving engine to reach 105 and I dont think it is out of reach at all. I think the R1 could be geared higher since it is about 100+lbs lighter than my bike.
Just unimportant food for thought. :bonk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.