Two Wheel Forums banner

is this a good choice?

4K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bulldog 
#1 ·
i wanna get a gs500 F 2005 one, but i duno if it's too powerful or not. as u can c im a beginner. i choose the gs500 F becuz of its looks (similar to sport). i woulda gone with the ninja 500 but its looks is worse than gs500.
so is this bike ok for me as a beginner or too powerful? by the way, im 5'6, so considering the height is the bike low enough? i never sat on one and the dealer said that he can order 1 for me, and i dont tihnk i can reconsider after it's already order. is the seat height of the 2004 the same as 2005? if so maybe i can sit on the 2004 and c how it fits.

#2 ·
nichole in here has a gs500..she loves it, well she did, till she low sided it the other day...she has nothing to but good things to say about the ride. Its not too powerful for a new rider, u'd do well to grab that if you can. then when ur ready, move on up to 600..now thats a whole nother experience when your ready.

#3 ·
Either one will be a nice starter bike for you. The GS or the Ninja. With your height, they both should sit low enought for you as well. We have a few ppl on here that ride both types and I'm sure they will let you know where they stand as well. But either will do you fine as a beginner. Just my :2cents:

#5 ·
duma said:
but i only c girls riding these 500, i dont c guys riding it. am i a puss to go with 500?

no ur not...starting out on anything more than a 500 is crazy IMO. 500's have enough get up n go to get you thru traffic and have a good time, but not enuff power that you can lose control to easy.

#6 ·
duma said:
but i only c girls riding these 500, i dont c guys riding it. am i a puss to go with 500?

You are looking in the wrong places. If you are a new rider and feel better getting a 500...then get one and not be a squid and get a bigger bike just to hurt or do even worse to yourself. Women ride some 500 for different reasons. Some due to there height and others due to being new to the sport as you are and being smart and not starting big. Smart move. Do what is going to make you feel comfortable and safest. :dthumb:

#7 ·
dont let the fact that girls ride gs500's deter you..any more than you should let the fact that there are alot of women who ride busa's influence you anymore to get one, just because, "if they can do it, you can do it" type of thinking.

riding safe, smart, and within your means is the only way to go...what good is all that xtra power if ur not prepared to handle it yet? ;)

#10 ·
thank guys. i ignored the color matching when i bought the gs500 2004 (yellow). YEA... i have just bought a 2004 GS500 (yellow because they dont have the blue one) for $7500. my insurance is 550 a year for liability and theft. im getting it today, woohoo. however :(, i have no big parking lot near my house. I know there is a place, but it's kind of far (would take 15 minutes to get there locally/freeway. I have no one that could ride the bike to this place for me nor i have a truck. what should i do, what should i do... :(

#11 ·
duma said:
thank guys. i ignored the color matching when i bought the gs500 2004 (yellow). YEA... i have just bought a 2004 GS500 (yellow because they dont have the blue one) for $7500. my insurance is 550 a year for liability and theft. im getting it today, woohoo. however :(, i have no big parking lot near my house. I know there is a place, but it's kind of far (would take 15 minutes to get there locally/freeway. I have no one that could ride the bike to this place for me nor i have a truck. what should i do, what should i do... :(

Congrats on the new bike. To take care of no one to ride with...come here to Pa and Matt and I will ride with you and show you around. :D Enjoy your new ride and post up some pics with you and the bike soon. Ride safe and smart.

#12 ·
Hey don't worry about riding the 500. I rode a EX500 for about 3 years to get my street riding skills under my belt. They are a great bike for those that need to learn.

Many have had the debate on what to start out on...go with a small cc bike then a bigger one later or just start out big. It seems to be the concenses that you're better off by starting out small. Too many people buy the big bikes and wreck em really fast because they don't know what the heck they're doing...they are squids!! Tell people that if they give you any crap!!

#13 ·
Hey... whats up... I have a 93 gs500e... same bike, except its naked (no front ferrings), lighter (a little), and the seat and side plastics are not as wide. First of all... i dont know if u care to hear this, but you payed way too much money for that bike! I met someone last month that bought that same bike.... from the dealer, no miles.... $4-5,000.... sorry, im sure you dont care to hear that, but i had to tell you.

Anyways, i dont think you will regret getting this bike to start on. I'm sure you will want to step up after a season or two, but she will teach you how to ride well ;) There is a lot of difference between the 500 and 600, but with no experience on motorcycles, i would say that the gs will do you well. After I learned how to ride, i could handle a bigger bike, if it wasnt mine....LOL I dont have any time to find its limits, and wouldnt think of putting it there, since its not mine. I dont ride anyone's bike nearly as hard as i ride my own! I have rode a few liter bikes this summer... A LOT of power! Nice & fun, but i definately couldnt own that bike right now... I know i would find its limits, and push mine.... making me a squid and putting me in the hospital :(

I have just been riding this season... I was saying i was going to have a 750 next year... but a recent mishap :whistle: (yeah, i layed her down a week ago)... but anyways, it made me take a second look at the situation. I will be getting a 600 now, and keeping it until i master the 600 cc's, then move up again.

GOOD ADVICE... listen to the boys on here... they know what they are talking about.... and DONT try over ride your limits, u will know them (of course you are going to push it a little more each time, that's how you get better)..... but don't try to 'keep up' with anyone. Mistake I made last week... causing me pain, money, and a lil pride.

#14 ·
congrats on the new bike duma..u wont regret it..starting out on a proper sized bike for your current skill level is smart way to go. and dont forget MSF course!! its a must for new riders and experienced ones as well. :cool:

#15 ·
my bike was supposed to be 4900 something, but because of tax, company that sells it, freight, and etc (i forgot others). oh, and also because of the additional 600 bucks for 2 locks and a leather jacket that i get from them ( i get to pay these financially too, so they added this 600 into the payment. so it came out to be 7500 something).

#16 ·
duma said:
my bike was supposed to be 4900 something, but because of tax, company that sells it, freight, and etc (i forgot others). oh, and also because of the additional 600 bucks for 2 locks and a leather jacket that i get from them ( i get to pay these financially too, so they added this 600 into the payment. so it came out to be 7500 something).

im surprised they didnt throw in some of that gear, etc.. for free, just for buying the bike from them.

#17 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
congrats on the new bike duma..u wont regret it..starting out on a proper sized bike for your current skill level is smart way to go. and dont forget MSF course!! its a must for new riders and experienced ones as well. :cool:
+1

And you're not a puss. I ride a 500, and I'm a guy. The kids of the world might not ride 500s, but that's a short-sighted concept, in my opinion (IMO).

Congrats and be CERTAIN to get into an MSF class. Its from knowing nothing to knowing everything, so you fit into that category! Go, call now!!!!

#19 ·
first bike 500

I'm a guy.. my first bike was a EX500 which for power is a bit more then a GS but still they are similar.. it was a great first bike.. if youve never riden before itll feel like a Z06 Corvette for ya for a while.. enjoy the ride.. enjoy it safely and when u are ready to step up youll enjoy more power.. itll be a life long addiction..or is that just me guys? I went form ridng the Ex500 which was actually pretty well built up by time i bought my Z... but now going back to it it feels gutless..lol anywyas my point is i rode the 500 for aobut a year and a half then got a Z1000... big jump but its all about how responsible u ride and riding in your skills, being able to ride the 1000 too ksome time beofre i pushed her up to 164. just ride in your limits and as u get those limits higher get a bigger bike.. i would say consider over a 600 for a second bike... it just gives ya more room to grow... i know i couldnt buy a new bike every two years.. i bought my Ex500 aobut 2 years ago now for 1300$. so the 1000 is gonna be paid off beofre i consider a new bike.. next up itll be the Zx10R though.

#21 ·
ShanMan14 said:
Don't let that stop you. I bought a 650 for my first bike, still have it. Nothing wrong with a 500cc bike. If you know how to ride it, you can out squids on bigger bikes to shame in the twisties.
you got the sv650s for your first bike right is it a good starter??? i also am thinkin of that

#22 ·
actually looking at the prices and insurance i think this is added to my list also now i have to choose 650svs kat 600 and the gsf 500

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.