Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, while I was at the AMA Time Qualifying today, some guy (not a guy who rides bikes) said that they put their knee down to pull their center-of-gravity closer to the ground. Is this true? Cause I thought that it was more for like stability so they don't low-side the bike in the turns?

·
Registered
955 Posts
the knee is just used as a guide for your lean angle, using it to save a low side can cause a high side...ill let you decide which one you want.. :wink:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I've also heard it described as just like Graff said... adjusting the center of gravity in the lean... but I tend to think of it somewhere between that and what Jack says... I've heard Twisty's explanation but don't remember how he put it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Geting off the bike allows you to keep it more upright to carry more speed through a turn. You use your knee as gauge to the amount of lean angle. Sometimes, you can use your knee to save the front from tucking IF you're lucky.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
That is what I was looking for.... to carry more speed without over leaning. TNX!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm also told that if you race on a track, you should take the frame-sliders off cause it could cause you to spill if they get caught on the ground? or it could flip the bike when/if you lowside it. True / Not True ??

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jeeps84 said:
If you low enough to hit the sliders, its to late!:cursin:
No, I'm just saying that people said if you race to take the sliders off just to prevent causing more damage in the event that you lowside/highside the bike during the race or time on the track.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
You should never have the bike down that far in a turn, you would low side the bike before that frame slider ever touched.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
No, I'm just saying that people said if you race to take the sliders off just to prevent causing more damage in the event that you lowside/highside the bike during the race or time on the track.
There for preventing damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
SVupON1 said:
:iagree: They work wonders too!
As long as they work the way they were designed...

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yep Yep... don't go near the carbon fiber inlay!! TRUST ME!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
GsxrJack said:
the knee is just used as a guide for your lean angle, using it to save a low side can cause a high side...ill let you decide which one you want.. :wink:

Grafixx01 said:
I'm also told that if you race on a track, you should take the frame-sliders off cause it could cause you to spill if they get caught on the ground? or it could flip the bike when/if you lowside it. True / Not True ??

:wbs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Grafixx01 said:
:bash:
Actually, its the opposite....if you want anything left of your bike when you go down (street or the track) you have frame sliders on the bike. Sliders are there to prevent more damage to the bike.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I'll take that advice. I just saw a lot of the AMA bikes did NOT have sliders on them. They had spools for the stands but that's it, no sliders. That's why I'm asking.

And no Gas Man, not getting the Carbonfibre inlays, don't like 'em. Getting black Vortex two-piece.

Twisty,

You called BS on both responses. What's your input? I'd like to hear this subject?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm with Graff on this... state it for the record... I've heard it before but can't remember exactly what you said!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.