Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does everyone normally stay in the right portion (nearest to the center line) of the lane when riding ? Do you most often ride in the right lane, or passing lane, on the interstates?

I know, when riding on a 2 lane road (1 each direction), you gotta be real careful about cagers inching over into your lane when riding in the portion of the lane closest the yellow line, and of course the tractor trailor air blasts when they go past you. Im constantly moving over when I see those beasts coming towards me, just to be on the safe side.

I prefer to make eye contact as much as possible when Im passing somebody as well, so I try to stay nearest their drivers rear view mirror.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Ya know I think about this all the time.

2 laner - towards the yellow line so that the people coming at me, see me if they are intending to make a left. Don't want them to not see me and make a fast left turn behind the SUV and take me out. But I also do swerve over as well, with the passing of the big trucks.

major highway - if I'm pegged up pretty good like this morning (doing 100 from my house to Twisty's in 45 degree cold for abt 40mins), I'll ride in the passing or left lane for the most. If I'm just doing faster than traffic, which I find safer, I'll be all over the place because you know cages don't get out of my way or don't get out of my way fast enough. Damn don't they know I don't want to slow down!

City streets - where ever I am visible and can still go fast.

In any effect, I want to be visible and be going faster than the po-po wants me to.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
When riding in 2 lanes, one each direction, I tend to ride in the smoothest and flatest areas of the road. If riding through the town locally, that could mean I move around a little bit in the lane to avoid the huge potholes. Matt can vouch for this. ( They seriously need to pave these local roads, they are crappy) For the most part, I tend to stay to the left of the lane and move when I see oncoming vehicles.

When on the highway, I am all over while passing cars. Damn they move too slow. :D

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
I try to just position myself wherever it seems I am most visible. Right side of the lane or left, depending where the threats are. Also, if I am headed towards someone turning left, I will give em a little gunner's swerve.. strafe my headlights across their face, pretending like it is the cannon on an ol' spitfire plane or something.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Not sure about the DMV in other states but in Michigan, the Secretary of State as we like to call it for whatever reason, has extensive guidelines on this in their motorcycle pre-license book. I believe that they say middle lane position is optimum for going around the turns for maximum visibility and to avoid getting hit by another vehicle coming the other way that crossed the line. I think they had mentioned times to be right or left in the lane but not sure when - maybe they say never unless riding in a group. But I do know they say that when you ride right or left in the lane it encourages people to try and squeeze into your lane in a cage when they shouldn't.

So anyways enough of the hypothetical crap. On the freeways I am always in the left lane passing people unless I see a cop up ahead and slow down to "blend in". Typically I am passing everyone or following at a safe distance behind a cage that is going an optimum speed such as 90-95mph. I will let them get the ticket all day. As far as town, etc. I usually make a judgment call based on traffic - I try to stay highly visible to avoid problems. I don't think there is really a set answer for your lane position question - it depends on alot of variables. Usually most people that I ride with in a group will adjust when passing a semi. Not me. People have noted that I come within a couple of feet of a semi when I pass. I of course only do this when they are not driving erractically. It is more important to me to hold position when traveling in groups then to make sudden movements and cause chaos behind me - of course again it is a judgment call - if you have the choice of decapitation or a sudden move which may cause group chaos please take the chaos option each and every time.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, it think its always good to get other peoples advice/opinions on how they choose to ride in the lanes...I myself I know I try to always try to stay towards the center line when riding...cagers tend to look more out of thier own mirror and rear-riew, as opposed to the passenger side mirror. Plus it puts headlight right in the view of their mirror so unless they are completely clueless (which is par for the course ) they'll have a better chance of seeing you before they decide to switch lanes at the last minute.

Good point about them trying to squeeze in your lane though double! Now that I think about it,that has happened to me on a few occasions..guess they thought I was looking to switch lanes or something, so they go ahead and pull up right beside me in my lane??? WTF!!!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If a lane is split into 3 sections, I ride with a 1 section buffer between me and the next car. Without getting too complicated, that's what they teach in MSF, so that's what I do. Essentially you want to have an escape route, but you also want to mark "your" lane so nobody tries to come over.

Typically, though, I move in and out of traffic when I need to so I'm never boxed in.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Great point about escape route! I always always always am looking for a way out - I always consciously look for escape routes more so in heavy traffic - it gets a little iffy on the detroit freeways at 80mph in rush hour in bumper to bumper traffic - not too much of an escape route but I am always scanning. Just like even when I approach a green light I am thinking about that car approaching or sitting at the red light and what I will do if they run the light or cut me off - two fingers on the brake and ready to take evasive action.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
With the middle lane position there is the junk on the road to slip on from the cagers so I tend to stay closer to the center line while watching and adjusting for those idiots that cross or ride the line. I tend to move around a bit too due to road smoothness and escape routes too. As for the highway riding, depends on the traffic flow but like to "hide" in the right lane and use the left for passing and then back into the right. For some reason I think this makes me less noticeable to the men with the flashing blue lights watching the fast lane.

Oh, and hi all! I am Pippi from Wide Open Sportbikes and just made the venture over to the TWF finally. I am in Michigan and I ride an '04 Black and Silver GSXR 1000.

:dthumb:
Michelle
a.k.a Pippi
Wide Open Sportbikes
www.wideopensportbikes.com
"Come pee in the tall grass with the big dogs"

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I try and avoid the major highways and do most of my riding on two-lane highways and streets. I enjoy curves and acceleration lots more than high-speed. Plus, most of the slower, curvier roads around here have much less traffic. Most of my time, I ride in the left tire track, except when going around tight left-handers.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:
YO Pippi! Welcome to TWF! I see you didn't claim any relation to a particular someone... :lol:

Yes welcome Pippi. Now let me think here. I wonder who that particular someone would be. Let me think. She rides a GSXR1000. I don't think I can think of anyone else in WOS who that someone would be. :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
Yes welcome Pippi. Now let me think here. I wonder who that particular someone would be. Let me think. She rides a GSXR1000. I don't think I can think of anyone else in WOS who that someone would be. :D
Yea, I think you all have it figured out! :) Hi all my name is Pippi from WOS and I am Twisty's girl :crazy:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
we all feel sorry for you on that one. :D :lol:
OOO, SNAP!! I could see that 1 coming for a mile away.... :lol:

Pippi, you know we luv u :hug: give me a call when youget a chance...try the house first.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Pippi..welcome aboard..glad your here! :cool: Keep all the WOS riders coming ...rock on!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.