Two Wheel Forums banner

When you ride in groups, do you prefer to lead or follow?

• I prefer to lead the group

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I don't like to lead

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I'll do either, doesn't matter to me

Votes: 11 64.7%

Lead or follow?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Captain Morgan 
#1 ·
When you ride in groups, do you prefer to lead or follow?

#2 ·
I'm not the type that wants to hog up the lead so I will back off it a bit and let someone else lead if they like. Now and the other hand if I am riding with ppl and they want me to lead the trip to where ever we go, then I will with no problem. Lead or Follow, it is all great as long as I'm riding. :)

#3 ·
Only if I know where we are going..which would help if you're going to be a leader I guess, huh ;) ..but seriously, I would probably say follow, if I had a choice, simply because it's usually alittle more entertaining that way, IMO..being able to watch the other riders, have fun, look at the scenery, etc., without having to concentrate so much on remembering how to get where we are going. But either way is fine with me.

#4 ·
I can lead or follow, but have you ever been behind a bike with D&D exhaust or a Harley with open pipes? Numbs the ears and brain. When I follow, I pretty much watch the bike in front of me in turns. Sorta like the Blue Angles. If the lead jet crashes, the others follow. When I'm in the lead, I can scan around, check for road debris, and hopefully not get lost. But with my sport/tourer, I wonder if I'm holding the others back.

#5 ·
I tend to ride in the middle but I will do either or. However the last time I lead a bunch of guys I had a deer jump out in front of me and cause me to go down in hopes of not hitting the damn thing....so now I am a shoe in for follow. :lol:

#8 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
Something tells me, I mean something really tells me that if I were to hit a deer on the bike, I don't think it will be a pretty site in the aftermath. :D
You're tellin me! :lol: But I and the bike fared well. Anyway, this is a different subject...sorry! I'll save the long story for a different thread...

#10 ·
well on the dirt i always lead unless we are jumong then i fall to the way back (i suck at jumping just dont like it) but when we take trails in the mountons or werever i am very anal about being inthe lead i dont like following anybody (dust, lost, ego :lol: )

havent had street time exept for the MSF but i was leading there too :whistle: even though the guy kept telling me to slow down :whistle: :lol:

#12 ·
Same here... depends on who I'm riding with. Some like to ride alot faster than I do (I'm a rather non-agressive rider), so when I'm with them I just follow and let them do their thing in front, and I catch up later. Other people that go slower like me though I'll lead, or we'll take turns leading. If we're going somewhere new and I don't know how to get there, I always follow though, cuz I suck with directions plus my eyesight is so bad I can't see street signs, so it's always quite the adventure trying to find someplace with me leading, LOL :lol:

#15 ·
y2k4gsxr600 said:
iam a loner .dont really ride with anyone.... :lol: but i rather follow i guess .dont really have a prefference :bash:
that sux i am goin to be a loner to my uncle is the only one i know and he lives 2 hrs away!!!! so i will be a loner whemn i start to ride too!!!!

#16 ·
JK_DILLA said:
Thats me usually, Ive been approached with club offers but turned them down. I kinda like being in the 'Unafilliated Motorcycle Club'
That's cause you haven't met the right club. Most of the clubs out there are a bunch of squids and a-holes!

WOS is the exception!

<insert WOS smilies than Shan never put in>

#18 ·
I'm content to follow. I just learned last year and I followed my 'instructor' for several miles of road that I was unfamiliar with. Every now and then I'd give it enough throttle to do a ricer fly by, but for the most part I just followed. Same happens when driving cars unless I know where we are going and the other people don't.

#19 ·
I have been in the lead... but if I follow I want to be 2nd or 3rd... I have considered taking a Captains class to better lead a group... :thumbs: But I like following on new roads...so that I can remember them better... but for the most part I am a loner... and I enjoy it... :wink:

- :leaving:

#21 ·
Yeah if you don't know the group.... following is better cause you can see how they ride and if you can trust them. In WOS I don't have that problem! Everybody rides at their own pace and you can trust EVERY WOS MEMBER riding around you!!!

Yes, even Twisty!! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.