Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What do most people wear for riding in the colder months? I have FirstGear mesh jacket and pants for summer riding, but I'm trying to buy gear for the fall/early winter. I know a lot of people prefer leather for the protection aspect, but how is it for riding when it gets a little cooler? Is textile better?

2. Is anyone familiar with Motophoria? I like the looks and specs of their jackets, but I haven't seen any of their products in person.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ajamudc said:
1. What do most people wear for riding in the colder months? I have FirstGear mesh jacket and pants for summer riding, but I'm trying to buy gear for the fall/early winter. I know a lot of people prefer leather for the protection aspect, but how is it for riding when it gets a little cooler? Is textile better?

2. Is anyone familiar with Motophoria? I like the looks and specs of their jackets, but I haven't seen any of their products in person.

i have a firstgear speed jacket that is way warmer than my leather Fieldsheer tattoo jacket. but if you want leather, look at some of the icon jackets. I tried one on, and they felt like they had some protection and some insulation. a Icon jacket will be my next for sure.

matt

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Right now Im relegated to wearing a basic leather jacket, which actually works quite well..but when its real cold, I put my marlboro jacket over top. Hoping to snag a nice riding jacket over the winter off season,so I'll have it for next fall.

You'll get lots of great advice on gear here! :dthumb:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
In the winter I ride either leather or insulated Cordura. The Cordura is rainproof and much warmer, so depending on the weather I choose that. I try to wear the leather most of the time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sorry, haven't owned textile, so I can't provide a comparison.

If you go leather, obviously you'll want to avoid perforated if you're only going to be riding in the cold months with it on. But dual use is possible with a perf'd jacket that has a removeable liner. I have this sort of jacket, ride an hour (50mi) in 50degF weather at about 70mph without getting cold, excepting my hands (which is a glove problem, not a jacket problem).

:2cents:

·
Registered
604 Posts
My textile Joe Rocket (which has a vest liner) held up great on the night of October 2nd. I rode 120 miles round trip (bit over an hour each way) to have my bike in a damn club picture and it was hella cold out. Not quite so bad on the way there as it was on the way back though. When I got home it was 9:00pm and it took at least an hour of warming up for me to feel that my legs were cold and in pain. However, my torso was good and toasty. I'm hoping my new jacket works just as well.

Edit: The opposite is also true in the summer I remove the liner, open the vents and am comfortable as well.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
I have a "system" jacket in cordura denier. It has 2 liners for cold and colder and in summer you remove all. It has mesh pockets for pads/armor in back, shoulder and elbows. Zippers run from wrist to elbow, elbow to shoulder, collarbone to shoulder and two in back. Velco closures on wrist, collar and around waist. It is piped in a glow in the dark Dupont fiber, and I paid less than 100 bucks from an online place...I'll look for the papers for brand name and order info if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a TourMaster Cortech jacket with a liner. I've ridden in 35 degree weather and been fine. Since that's about the coldest weather you'll ever catch me in (on a bike), it works for me. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am new here. First post. I would like to suggest you look at the First Gear HT Overpant. I just got some last week. I ride to work most every day. It was raining yesterday. I stayed warm and dry the whole 30 mile ride. They are nice pants.

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts