Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode for decades wearing jeans, but this is the first year I've been wearing leather pants. I wear bicycle shorts underneath and they work great down to freezing. My problem is the zippers on the bottom legs of the pants.

The zippers are about a foot-long and are on the inside inseam. The small flaps that cover the length of the zipper rub on my body work, just above the footpegs on both sides. My old CBR is completly covered in body work and most of it is white, but my leathers are black. I tied black bandanas around the bottom of my legs so it doesn't rub, but it looks weird. Anybody have this problem and a good solution?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
so is it actually scratching your body work, or leaving rub marks on it ? im getting some leather pants in the spring and thats the last thing I need is to have scratch marks on my body work too!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
That is a bit of a problem. You don't want to have to polish the marks out every time you ride so you have to come up with a way to prevent it from happening in the first place. Post up a pic of your bike. Maybe some dark racing stickers would work well down near your feet. But I don't know for sure without seeing the bike. There has to be some way to keep the marks off the bike, I just can't think of anything at the moment.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Hey Matt, something similar came to mind as well, but I didn't know they made that for bikes. :dthumb:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
im sure they have a faring protector from the same company as the post on tank slappers

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
so is it actually scratching your body work, or leaving rub marks on it ? im getting some leather pants in the spring and thats the last thing I need is to have scratch marks on my body work too!
It's rub marks, not scratches because like a jacket zipper, small flaps from each side cover over the zipper. But the flaps are black leather and they stick out from the zippered leg. Plus, I move my feet around a lot on both sides of the bike. On my CBR, my boot rubs against a metal scuff plate above the footrest. But the black leather rubs along the white strip of bodywork just above it.

I have some gaiters for snowshoeing that are made from a waterproof nylon, but they are baggy. Luckily, my wife sews and she says she can make some black stretchy gaiters that can fit over my shoes and won't flap in the breeze. Or she can make looser ones that velcro tight. If worse comes to worse, she can move the zippers to the outside seam of my pants.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
not to jack this thread, but thats just a sweet lookin classic ride man!!!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I see the marks you are talking about. I wonder if taking a little sandpaper to the inside of your leather pants would help. It might remove some of the dye that was used, not sure. You might be able to find some "cleartastic" that you could cut to fit that area and keep from scuffing up the bike. It's what I was thinking of before N4S posted about the "tank slapper" material. It's probably the same material, to be honest.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
No Worries said:
I have some gaiters for snowshoeing that are made from a waterproof nylon, but they are baggy. Luckily, my wife sews and she says she can make some black stretchy gaiters that can fit over my shoes and won't flap in the breeze. Or she can make looser ones that velcro tight. If worse comes to worse, she can move the zippers to the outside seam of my pants.
I was having the problem of the cuff on my work pants catching on my pegs when leaving from stops. I bought those leggings like we wore with our baseball uniforms, cut them and put velcro on to pull them tight. Check the bicycle shops, M had some wraps that keep your pant legs out of the chain when pedaling, they would work as well

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need4Speed750 said:
not to jack this thread, but thats just a sweet lookin classic ride man!!!
Thanks. I scanned a photo at 100dpi, so it doesn't show all the scratches and pits from the gravel they throw on the roads.

I don't really want to put that plastic sheet on the bike, but I need something. I sent an e-mail to tankslapper asking about their materials. They said the 3M material would be better than the tankslapper material for my application. They will sell me a sheet of the 3M plastic, 1 foot by 2 feet, for $7 plus S&H. I'll post here again when I see how it works. I'll take a before and after photo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts