Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else get leg cramps? I don't get them all the time, but it seems if I bend in a certain way I get this tremendously painful cramp in my upper leg while riding. I guess it's the riding position on my bike, if I straighten my leg out it goes away, but as soon as I get back on the bike the pain returns. The pain is pretty much concentrated where the back pockets would be on a pair of jeans, maybe rotated around a little bit to the side.

Usually I just writhe in pain while I shout obscenities into my helmet. After a couple of minutes it usually goes away.

I've read certain vitamin supplements (I think vitamin E) can reduce cramping. I already take 400IU of that everyday anyway, so that particular remedy doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
did you always have that pain ever since you got your SV, or did you have it b/4 as well. ?

Every once in awhile, if Im riding for several hours straight, I'll get alittle cramping, and then I just stretch out my leg, or stop for a few minutes, then Im good to go again.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
double2000r6 said:
Yeah I get them sometimes. Drink more water that is the reason for them - not enough H2O - simple as that.

I guess it's either stop every 30 min to pee or get the cramps. :(

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Yeah I get them sometimes. Drink more water that is the reason for them - not enough H2O - simple as that.
This is correct, however, you could be experiencing a low Potassium level. You can drink 10 gallons of water a day, and if your K level is low, you cannot utilize the water and it just passes through. Bananas are good source of K. It could also be a muscle memory thing. When I haven't ridden the Bee in 2 or 3 days, when I leave the garage, I get a hamstring cramp before I get to the mailbox. I straighten my leg 2, 3 times and it quits

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I got major crampage when I went out riding this summer with DJ. Now mine was obviously caused from the fact that I had not ridden for 3 years and we were riding for 2 hours straight. When I got off the bike my knees were crazy hurting and I couldn't walk at first. That really bites. :cry:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
They are all correct...increase you water intake, which will help out alot of things! Potassium, you can get from bananas. I would suggest "pre-naetal" vitamins vs a "one a day". About the same cost and you can get any over the counter brand, however, the "pn's" have a much higher level of the vitamins you need!

And of coarse, the gym will always help...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
that or get your legs up while u ride, when i am goign any distance on the highway i just put my legs over the tank and use the blinkers to hold em form falling out, good to stretch your leg muscles too, after bout 10 or 15 minutes they are well stretched, or u can lay on your stomach on the tank with legs on the tail... nice change in postion while u ride too, and at high speed u dont get much wind like that.... Just ways ive found to keep going when u get bored or cramped and odnt wanna stop.
I ride 200 miles to Cal alot to ride so i sue those to relax on the way over a lot, gets ya some odd looks once in a hwile cus it looks like your a retarded stunter, but hey its comfy./

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
or just lay down on your tank, and put your legs on the back seat..yeah, that'll stretch em out.. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I recommend massive amounts of Jim Beam. Won't help the cramps but you won't feel anything anyways.. I think there is potassium somewhere in there also.. If not who cares you will be too drunk to care anyways and start acting more like me..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I always try to walk around every time I stop riding, and drink plenty of water/powerade/ or something along those lines. Being on a sportbike in general means at some point, you're gonna have to get off and stretch your legs and get the fluids replenished and the circulation going again, especially when you're kicking a$$ on the streets and sweatin up a storm!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Those cramps can be painful. My CBR is quite comfortable to ride on a daily basis, and even on longer rides where Im on for a few hours at a time. It did take awhile to get used to it though, coming from a different riding style like I was doing before.

Every once in awhile, I'll get alittle stiff, and usually I'll just pull over, grab drink and walk around for a few minutes and relax, and then Im generally good to go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dont normally take passengers too often on my bike. When I do they usually get too scared, even though I try to keep it at a nice even relaxed pace. :screwy: But I find that when I do, they tend to get alot more uncomfortable alot more quickly than I do. Especially on sportbikes in general, the rear pegs are up so high, and if they arent used to the position, they tend to walk funny for a bit after we stop. :wink:

Much different than when I used to ride a standard, a nighthawk 750, yeah, they could ride all day on that seat.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Alot of tall guys complaign about this stuff more. It depends on the bike. Maybe you should replace your rear-sets with something that will place your pegs in a better spot!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
2Fast4U said:
and if they arent used to the position, they tend to walk funny for a bit after we stop. :wink:
QUOTE]

Yeah that happens with a lot of girls...lol pretty common for my passengers...lmao.. wait Wrong ride.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Thats one good thing about my Kat.. CJD will tell you the rear seat is pretty comfortable and pegs are not up so high that she turns into a pretzel every time we ride...plus she usually has her helmet buried into my back holding on for dear life anyways. :wink: Nah, she's a good passenger, a real compliment to me !

·
Registered
338 Posts
Riding is a sport so try to stretch out a little before going if you need to. Also, potassium can help cramps. Have a 'nana!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Who else get leg cramps? I don't get them all the time, but it seems if I bend in a certain way I get this tremendously painful cramp in my upper leg while riding.
Well I used this excuse on my wife to get a bigger bike. Unfortunately, it only works once. But this might be your chance to get that busa. If you want to keep the SV and your joints are as old as mine, you could try taking Glucosamine Sulfate. After decades of hiking and running, it keeps my joints in shape and it's known to be safe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts