Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received an education in the art of sportbiking. I have ridden motorcycles all my life, and I have put a few K on my F4i. I thought I was pretty good. Today, some old, fat, bald men taught me a lesson. Not one was under 40 and Ed, on the Duc was 60! Tuesday I had met up with a rider at the gas station who invited me along with his Sunday morning group. I should have known something was up when I saw he was riding an '89 R-30. But I showed at 7.30 this morning Besides the R-30, there were 2 GSXRs an R-1 and a Testastratta (?) Ducati. We pulled out of Tally and headed west to the Apalachicola Forest. Taking well paved but hardly travelled county roads we got to let the reins out. I shuffled to the back quickly, ie...they had to wait for me at the stop signs. I knew I was in trouble when Brooks, on the R-1 winked at me when he passed me going around a curve and I was doing twice the posted speed. I spent most of the morning watching the suzy's tailights disappear in front of me. But Ed, on the Ducati was amazing, I was told that some 40 years ago he was a road racing champion in 250 class. I don't doubt it for a second!! while I was braking hard trying to stay on the road and out of the woods Ed was glued to the corners and gone. He would lean that Duc over and I knew I was going to see him slide but he just went faster. I have not ridden with such accomplished riders in years. I truly know what a newbie squid feels like. But I must not have been too bad, Ed asked me if I wanted to come out and play again next weekend. I was truly humbled today by a bunch of over 40 fat bald men who really know their sport!!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
WOW. Nice story. It goes to show that you can't judge someone by the way they look. I had the same thing happen to me many years back. There were almost 30 of us going to the morning ride on a Sunday in Ephreta Pa. I was in the middle when we started and stayed there till we hit the back roads and on the twistys. One by one they all passed me on the inside as I too was doing twice the post limit. It was a great time and some of the riders stayed with me so I didn't get lost. Great ppl all of them and I went a few more times with them that year.

I really enjoy riding with ppl who are faster and more experience then me as this allows me to better myself. :dthumb:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
great story bumblebee! sometimes its good to go out and get grounded again (not literally of course) . I know we all think we're pretty good on bikes, be it riding fast, in the twisties, on the track, etc. But there's always somebody better, and we can always learn something new.

Be sure to tell us about the next time you go out..pretty soon, im sure you'll be right up there with them,and then you can find a newbie to ride along and teach him a thing or 2. ;)

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
So it's more the rider than the bike... :wink:

Where are these people you're talking about? Get 'em on here and let's talk about it. I'd like to hear what they have to say. :cheers:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great story bumblebee! I know exactly what you're talking about. The same thing happened to me, just different circumstances. When I was in beauty school, I thought I was the $hiet. I was top of my class, was awarded a full scholarship to get my teacher's license, the works. Then I get out to the real world in a salon, and suddenly had to wonder if I had learned a damn thing in school. Very humbling. It made me realize that no matter how good you are, or how good you get, there's always someone better than you. And even though it's humbling and a little humiliating, you're a better person for it. But keep your chin up, there's always something to learn. I'll say this for ya, I admire you for speaking up about it... most people's pride would keep them silent, including mine. :wink: :dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Did she just compare a salon to riding a sportbike???? Just bustin ya CJD!!

But what I don't get is why she is calling me old and confusin my Kaw for a Duc. :wtf: It was a Kaw passin that poor Kat 750 with N4S on it. Get it right!! :lols:

Ok Ok, I fell off my rocker and was dreamin! It sure was funny though... :flush: :dthumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Ok Ok, I fell off my rocker and was dreamin! :flush: :dthumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Got that right! :whistle: :lol:

Awe man chris, wait till you get down here, she's gonna get you.. :wink:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I can't hardly wait!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts