Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
ShanMan,

I was also lookin' into this for my bike. I mean I know "Scorpion" makes an alarm which I'll probably get cause it tells you if the bike is being messed with in any way/shape/form. But the lo-jack, I think is better cause they'll pay if your bike isn't recovered. I even saw one ad for their product on of this months motorcycle mags.

G

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just want to comment on the Scorpio Alarm:

Pro:
-Small, easy to fit into a bike
-FM 2 Way paging (the alarm will go off on your pager if someone mess w/ ur bike)
-Installation is quite easy (if not installing the engine kill device) once you figured out where you want to place your unit
-No one dare to touch my bike no more (at least not without me knowing it)

Cons:
-Very expensive compared to other models
-Perimeter sensor goes off randomly once in a while
-Signal range sucks (your 2 way page function is essentially gone once you enter any building like a mall or theater)
-Drains battery very fast (drained out my battery in a bit over 2 weeks if I don't ride it)
-No memory for your setting on your pager (you'll have to reset your settings such as the tones of the alarm, how long the alarm will sound, etc. everytime you switch out the battery on your remote which happens to be once a month for me)

*I was considering the Lo Jack before getting the Scorpio but there're simply no info on how the Lo Jack would fit on a motorcycle? :cursin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Samurai_Jack said:
*I was considering the Lo Jack before getting the Scorpio but there're simply no info on how the Lo Jack would fit on a motorcycle? :cursin:
Not sure if this answers your question but it's straight from the LoJack site:

Q: Where was my LoJack installed on my motorcycle?

Your LoJack system is hidden in one of several places within your motorcycle. For security purposes, we do not disclose the location of the LoJack system to anyone, not even the owner of the motorcycle. If this information were to become public knowledge, it could compromise the police's ability to recover your motorcycle.

Hope this helps

Jim

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Wow man, I didn't know that the alarm would take that much and cause that many problems. Did you call or say something to the company?
I mean maybe they can chang stuff?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jim's R1 said:
Not sure if this answers your question but it's straight from the LoJack site:

Q: Where was my LoJack installed on my motorcycle?

Your LoJack system is hidden in one of several places within your motorcycle. For security purposes, we do not disclose the location of the LoJack system to anyone, not even the owner of the motorcycle. If this information were to become public knowledge, it could compromise the police's ability to recover your motorcycle.

Hope this helps

Jim
It's the fact that the lack of real world experience which strayed me away from getting a Lo Jack for my motorcycle. I simply couldn't find anyone who has had the actual experience of owning one for their motorcycle. Base on the quote above, it seems that you can't install the device yourself which pretty much adds more hassle in trying to find some one who is authorized to install it and then having to pay them to do it even if you can save the labor cost by installing it urself.

Graffix, the issues with Scorpio have been bought up before but they seem to be a little slow when it comes to correcting design flaws but I've heard of people with good experience with their customer service though.

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'll have to put down the crack pipe. :lol: Thanks.

Does LoJack really think owners won't find their transmitter?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I guess I'll have to put down the crack pipe. :lol: Thanks.

Does LoJack really think owners won't find their transmitter?
That's what I'd like to know!

I would have found it while working on my bike!

:skep:

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
on the website it makes it out that they come to you and put it on your bike while you wait at your home or office

·
Registered
212 Posts
drewpy said:
on the website it makes it out that they come to you and put it on your bike while you wait at your home or office
But it doesn't mean that won't charge you for it... on site installation means they will probably charge more for that matter. I didn't realize before that they're only covered in selected cities. I wonder if it means that they might come into some difficulty in tracking the bike if you travel outside of those cities?

So anyone wanna try this out and let us know how it works & how much it cost?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I'm sure that tracking limitation has always been there and the lo-jack systems have been rather successfull on cars/trucks.

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Gas Man said:
I'm sure that tracking limitation has always been there and the lo-jack systems have been rather successfull on cars/trucks.
I have had a Lo-jack on my 69 Mach I for a few years now. It was an early one and works much like a radio distress beacon. They hide it pretty well. But if you do your own wrenching, you will find it quickly, it needs power, after all. The only issues I have had were in moving around the country, there were areas where it was not functional, or the PD did not have equipment. I think now they are GPS technology based instead of radio signal so they work just about anywhere. I am taking a close look at one for my bike.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
My friend has Lo-Jack on his 98 vette and he got it installed when he got it straight from the Chevy factory. I know that in NY they track it but there is noboy that is "certified" by the Lo-Jack company to install it. He said that he called the Lo-Jack and the Police just to see if he can see if the thing still worked about a year ago and it does. They tracked it to his girlfriends/fiances' door step.

I read on the Lo-Jack website that there are only like four states that have certified installers (Massachusetts, Florida and Texas). I'm in Texas and the nearest one is in Dallas, they won't come to me to install it on the bike. So that causes and issue besides the monthly fee of I think around $25.00, although that is not entirely like bank-breaking!

G

PS --> Thanks for the "post whore" comments everyone, greatly appreciated! :hug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts