Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at this link, read some of the arguments: http://www.abatepa.org/abate/legislation/lobbying/helmet-talk.htm

Motorcycle helmets bounce on impact, resulting in increased brain and neck injuries. A 5 pound helmet traveling 60mph becomes a 300 pound weight on impact which can break a rider's neck.
What these idiots fail to mention is that the human skull crushes on impact leaving gray matter on the asphalt. So let's see... a broken neck or death?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Look at this link, read some of the arguments: http://www.abatepa.org/abate/legislation/lobbying/helmet-talk.htm



What these idiots fail to mention is that the human skull crushes on impact leaving gray matter on the asphalt. So let's see... a broken neck or death?
They're also assuming the rest of the rider doesn't bounce with it...

BTW- I can't remember the last time I saw a broken neck in MotoGP. Those guys are crashing faster than any sane street rider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Mojo said:
.... Those guys are crashing faster than any sane street rider.

I think they go out and pratice falling and sliding. They seem to do it so well. You can only do it that good from pratice pratice pratice. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
looks to me like the ones writing this garbage practiced what they are preaching...no brain, no pain!! :bash: :crazy: :screwy: :skep: :cursin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Brilliant! AMA, Moto GP, et al, sponsors will be pleased to know that they no longer have to spend the $ for helmets!!

That's fine, though, Shan. If they don't want to wear helmets, no sweat off my back. The tax payers shouldn't have to foot the cleanup bill when something happens though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Pigface1 said:
That's fine, though, Shan. If they don't want to wear helmets, no sweat off my back. The tax payers shouldn't have to foot the cleanup bill when something happens though.
and their-in lies another problem, what do they care, they arent around anymore, after cracking their melon on the pavement to have to worry about it.. :rant:


and this:
Deaths actually RISE when a helmet law is enacted. Why? False sense of "Margin of Safety." Most ride faster and more reck-lessly WITH a helmet on because they feel it extends their "safety margin.

If you cant think of safety first when you ride, then you shouldnt be riding in the first place. Jeebus, who comes up with this shiet!!! :bash:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at the site some more, it's really amazing. Who comes up with this stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I've been looking at the site some more, it's really amazing. Who comes up with this stuff?
U know, its interesting, ABATE actually does alot of good things for charity and motorcycling, education, etc..but Im not seeing the genious in any of this :screwy:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
These guys are are :screwy: They need to put the pipe down :nono: I don't know what else to add to this conversatoin so I'll leave you with the one word that explains it.

squid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
are these people banning together with the Chicago Sun Times writer??!!! :bash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
They are morons. Perhaps the effects of the crack their mom smoked while they were in the womb was not apparent immediately, it has now come to light that it had adverse affects. If any dumbass wants to ride sans helmet then they are a risk to the gene pool and by all means should be eliminated through natural means - i.e. becoming a road pancake.

Now I just need to talk my ex-wife into getting a very fast "Japenese bike built for speed" and riding without a helmet in rush hour traffic. Hell, I would buy the bike for her.. lol..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
They are morons. Perhaps the effects of the crack their mom smoked while they were in the womb was not apparent immediately, it has now come to light that it had adverse affects. If any dumbass wants to ride sans helmet then they are a risk to the gene pool and by all means should be eliminated through natural means - i.e. becoming a road pancake.

QUOTE]

but these are the same ones that will hold memorial services, candlelight vigils, memorial funds & drives, to raise money for motorcycle awareness!!! :screwy: :bash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Autobiography of Mark Twain

So the researchers state that helmets prevent serious head injuries. But ABATE looks at the sentence that neck injuries increase with helmets. Of course if a motorcyclist dies from head injuries, they don't bother to look to see if he has neck injuries too. Anyway, my Chiropractor can fix my neck, but not many people can fix a crushed skull.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
I'm intrigued by the arguement that it impairs hearing...I used to ride my cruiser with a half shell on and a 30 minute ride would leave my ears ringing for an hour from wind noise. ya...great article
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
ABATE is pursuing an agenda much like the NRA is. In order to get people to listen and pay attention, they have to be outrageous. The NRA, of which I am a Life Member, is very vocal and raises hell over ANY attempt by any level of gov't to regulate firearms. They need to be extreme to balance the extreme side of people like Schumer, Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, George Soros and others who think you/we as citizens should not be allowed to own ANY firearms. Abate is the same way. They have to oppose any attempt at regulation, hoping to keep things in the middle. I wear a helmet every time I ride my F4i. I have a cruiser with a big fairing and sometimes I will take it out without a helmet. (come on gear nazis, Flame on!!) I believe you should have the choice to wear the helmet or not. I also believe that the insurance company should have the choice to tell you they are not going to cover injuries sustained when NOT wearing a helmet. It is about personal choice and responsibility
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
bumblebee said:
I believe you should have the choice to wear the helmet or not. I also believe that the insurance company should have the choice to tell you they are not going to cover injuries sustained when NOT wearing a helmet. It is about personal choice and responsibility
I agree. I also have a problem with the state of PA making seatbelts mandatory and helmets a choice. I dont see how they can require you to wear a seatbelt or a helmet. It is a personal choice. By not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt, you are taking on any risks to your personal health.....and the only one you're hurting is yourself. So how can they make that decision for you?
However, I for one always wear my helmet. Now I used to ride w/o one, because I didn't have one, but as soon as I got mine, I've been wearing it ever since. The seatbelt's another issue, but I have my own personal reasons for that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,654 Posts
Iam for helments. I have smacked my head on the pavment over 7 times MC wrecks and Iam thankful that I bought a good quailty helment everytime. I am for seatbelts aswell since one saved my life when I was 17 driving my eagle talon. No air bags in that car just my good old seat belt. I dred putting it on and forget somtime but I know what they are there for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
I wear a helmet every time I ride my F4i. I have a cruiser with a big fairing and sometimes I will take it out without a helmet. (come on gear nazis, Flame on!!) I believe you should have the choice to wear the helmet or not. I also believe that the insurance company should have the choice to tell you they are not going to cover injuries sustained when NOT wearing a helmet. It is about personal choice and responsibility
:withstupi
CrunchieJD said:
I agree. I also have a problem with the state of PA making seatbelts mandatory and helmets a choice. I dont see how they can require you to wear a seatbelt or a helmet. It is a personal choice. By not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt, you are taking on any risks to your personal health.....and the only one you're hurting is yourself. So how can they make that decision for you?
However, I for one always wear my helmet. Now I used to ride w/o one, because I didn't have one, but as soon as I got mine, I've been wearing it ever since. The seatbelt's another issue, but I have my own personal reasons for that.
:withstupi
Wow, momma, I might be home. As already noted, I've got a lot of libertarian views, which means you control your own destiny, in a nutshell. The helmet/insurance coverage comment has been a long-time stance for me as well. And this is broadened by my thoughts that any gov't mandated requirements on vehicles (third brake light, DRLs?) are a waste of my tax $; the market will weed out those who fail to provide top quality at a low price. They should be options, but not required.

The only place seatbelt requirements should be enforced is those under 18; i.e. minors who are under the (at least theoretical) control of their parents.

Unfortunately, we live in a society that will put a person on life support as a result of an accident they could easily have prevented with my tax money. So, the helmet laws/auto laws are still questionably needed, aren't they?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top