Two Wheel Forums banner

Looking to start riding

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mdouglas71 
#1 ·
Hello, Merry Christmas(belated) and Happy New Years. I have been looking at getting a bike when I return home from a deployment in the spring, and have been looking at 600cc bikes. I have some experience on a dirt bike, when I rode I quickly became comfortable while maintaining respect for the bike and asking questions to the experienced rider I was with before pushing a little further, but no road experience, yet. I am 23 years old and weigh 200 pounds, and am still bulking up and pushing for another 25 pounds. The three bikes I have been looking into are the Honda CBR600, the Suzuki GSX-R 600, and my personal favorite the Yamaha R6.

I have one friend who is experienced in bikes, and around my age who has known me, say, three years. Speaking with him, he is adamantly against me getting a Sports bikes, and tries to steer me to cruisers, which I do not want at this time, but later. He is of an opinion that I will mess up badly in three weeks, (ye of little faith it would seem). But when I can get him around to talking about sports bikes I mentioned I was looking at 250s from a learning perspective, and he waved that off saying I should go ahead and start off in the Inline 4 motors, like the CBR 600/500, and Ninja 650s. From a standpoint I am not a fan of the Ninja bikes, something in my gut tells me not to go there and I just don't like the look of them.

Now on the other side of the same coin I have a very close friend, whom has been around me for many years, and is pretty much a part of my family. He is older than me, has laid a few bikes down, and did a lot of riding when he was younger and still continues to ride. I trust his opinion more, though I don't know if its cause I feel he is wiser, or his thoughts run closer to what I want. He is quick to shut down a dumb idea when it comes to cars and bikes, and in his eyes he believes I would be able to handle the R6 as my first bike. His wording on the subject is I would grow tired of a 250 quickly, and you may tire of the R6 pretty quick. You learn relatively quick and would very easily grow into the bike. And I believe you have enough common sense, and have fast enough reflexes. This person also used to race motorcross, so I assume he knows what he sees when he talks about reflexes.

My side of the story. I intend to keep a hold of this bike for quite some time, especially if I get the one I want. But I am also aware that I need to sit these bikes an look to see what feels most comfortable as far as a sports bike will allow. I intend to not gimp on the gear, especially starting out, from helmet to pants. I only own boots, so no issues there. I have every intention to take the MSF course offered in my town, and the family friend intends to go for a refresher. We have also spoke of taking the bikes, once I buy and have a permit and at some experience, to a closed course with medical staff around so I can really get a feel for the bikes limits, how it acts, where it's squirrely, and an over all "get it out of my system." I understand that as far as bikes go there are riders who have crashed, and riders who haven't crashed yet, and have taken it into consideration and am as mentally prepared for that outcome as one can be.

Sorry for the ton of back story here, but I want to hear what the opinions here are as far as the R6 for a starter bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's all what you feel comfortable with. Go sit on the bikes and see whta you like. I started on a ninja 250 and that was plenty power for me to learn on. I really loved being able to rip on the throttle and actually gun it WOT. with a R6 you wouldn't be able to do that... so keep in mind theres less margin for error that way. Whatever bike you get, definitely overload on your gear and ride safe. I would get a jacket from www.motorcyclehouse.com if your budget is retraining you from spending too much

Personally, I like the CBR600, it's the priciest of all of them but also the easiest to ride..

#4 ·
No problem. This forum is a litttle dead as of lately, but definitely figure out what kind of bike you want to buy and properly research it. Quality gear and budget cost are normally one of the biggest problems when you're starting to just ride. So its a good thing you don't have t oworry about that yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.