Two Wheel Forums banner

Do loud pipes save lives ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But really, in your opinion, is this fact or fiction ?

So we all know the old expression that Harley riders seem to swear by. "Loud Pipes Save Lives" , and the same can be said for sportbike riders to a degree as well.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
My bike was way quiet before the 2 bros. Since then, I have noticed people see me a lot more.. they don't move into my lane when on the side... I just see so many more heads actually turn and see me now compared to then.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they are more of an annoyance than anything..creates problems and bad blood in neighborhoods..and the last thing we need is more bad press for us.

yes they are louder and make you more visible, but I think its up the rider more, to make himself as visible and safe by his riding, then with loud pipes.

:2cents:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
I think they are more of an annoyance than anything..creates problems and bad blood in neighborhoods..and the last thing we need is more bad press for us.

yes they are louder and make you more visible, but I think its up the rider more, to make himself as visible and safe by his riding, then with loud pipes.

:2cents:

You should be taken out back and beat for that comment. Aren't you wanting to get a new pipe yourself?? Why yes you are. :bash: And isn't this new pipe going to be a aftermarket one that is loud? Why yes it is. :bash:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
You should be taken out back and beat for that comment. Aren't you wanting to get a new pipe yourself?? Why yes you are. :bash: And isn't this new pipe going to be a aftermarket one that is loud? Why yes it is. :bash:

ok first off, cool your jets bro!!!!! second of all, yes I want an aftermarket louder pipe, but not a harley blasting my ears out as I rumble thru somebody's neighboorhood, pissing off everybody and their brother while their windows rattle!!

I ride responsibly in populated areas as much as possible. just because you have a loud pipe doesnt mean you have ride it hard all the time.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
I rumble thru somebody's neighboorhood, pissing off everybody and their brother while their windows rattle!!
Personally I would rather hear someone on a loud MC blow past my house for like 2 seconds rather than hear those stupid wannabes who do like 2 mph up the street with their horrible bass rattling all the crappy metal on their cars. :2cents:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
My straights on my Vulcan are freakin loud, and NO, it doesn't help. People just move right on over. Atleast on the FZ I can twist the throttle and get outta the way.

People are usually blairing the radio or too busy on the phone to hear us anyway.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
N4S: Give this a try. The day before you slap your aftermarkets on, go out riding. Go whippin by a few people on the left and on the right, and try to pay close attention to when they are turning their head to their mirror or to look at you. If your bike is as quiet as mine was stock, then I bet they don't look til you are already passed them. Then try the same moves the next day, when you have your pipes on. Pay attention to when the look at you or the mirror again...

I'm not saying whether its safer or anything, I just definitely noticed a difference as to when people would look at me with the aftermarkets on.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
N4S, are you kidding me?

Loud pipes do save lives...FOR SURE!!! Pickle has a good point!! Besides, other than the high idle from choke, I can make my bike quite rollin thru a residential area...

But think about how loud my bike was when I was whippin by you>>>>>>

It does help!!

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i see your point pickle and gas man..however, you can also look at it as that by the time im passing them, loud pipes or not, i would hope i'd be past them b/4 they had a chance to move over. i tend to fly by them when i make a pass for just that reason. just trying to understand everybody's different angles on this. :)

I know with louder exhaust riding slow doesnt create that much of diversion..its the louder hogs that ride thru and rattle the windows that gets the locals upset, as well as the thumpers. slow speeds or not for them. sportbikes dont tend to be THAT loud at slower speeds that it would cause THAT much of a problem.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Well, I know that the v-twins are alot easier to hear from behind you. I know that I can hear Ace all the time when he is riding behind me.

However, let's not forget in the city you can hear a bike really easy if it has a set of loud pipes on it.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gas Man said:
Well, I know that the v-twins are alot easier to hear from behind you. I know that I can hear Ace all the time when he is riding behind me.

However, let's not forget in the city you can hear a bike really easy if it has a set of loud pipes on it.

yeah but in the city, u've got all the thumpers and people with the windows up, air on, radio blastin, while they conduct business or make-out with their girlfriend..so even then its not a guarantee..

and on the highway, u've the wind noise, the kids screamin in the car and the daydreamers in general

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing on your bike can prevent an accident but in my opinion loud pipes can reduce the chances. Not always but in some cases.

It is a fact that not everybody on the road is paying attention but for those that are, the noise of a loud exhaust does make them think some type of vehicle is coming.

Its the same with headlights. At night when I come to a stop and can't see cars coming from my left due to parked cars on the side, I usually look for headlights and inch out slowly. If I see headlights I usually assume a car is coming and I move out slowly until I can see or I wait til it passes.

I do the same thing when I hear loud exhaust noise.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Gas Man said:

When I ride with Ace I can hear him from behind or in front of me - probably one of the best sounding RC's I've heard I'll say too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, but the simply truth is, bikers hear pipes, non-bikers don't. When I drive around and hear some loud pipes, I look. However, the next time you're driving with others and you hear a bike, take notice of the other people's reactions. If they are non-bikers, they probably don't even notice.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive been on more than 1 bike accident in my time when I was an EMT..many times, in talking to the motorist involved, they said I never heard him, some where harleys, some were sportbikes, standards, etc.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Big Kahuna said:
Yeah, but the simply truth is, bikers hear pipes, non-bikers don't. When I drive around and hear some loud pipes, I look. However, the next time you're driving with others and you hear a bike, take notice of the other people's reactions. If they are non-bikers, they probably don't even notice.
I am going to have to say I totally agree with you on this. If me and Matt are standing outside at work and some of the other local riders go by we hear them long before they get to us while if others are out there they don't hear a thing and wonder what we are or were talking about till they see it. I have seen more then a few times and not just at work. You are very correct on this. :)

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big Kahuna said:

very well said, and my point exactly for starting this. bikers tend to think of issues in terms of us being bikers. we are alot more aware of riders because we are riders, whether we are in a cage or not. Most residents are so used to hearing loud pipes and thumpers, that most dont even pay attention to it anymore, in my experience at least.

I like having a bit louder exhaust,and lookin forward to gettin one. but as far it making me a more visible rider to the cages...well, I can see both sides of the fence and both have good arguments..but I just dont think it does that much good.. just my :2cents: though

1 - 20 of 34 Posts