Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I wanted to apologize for the lack of posting. I had a brief highatis due to lack of internet access and computer going on the fritz.

Anyways, on to the subject of bikes. I've decided with all the advice received from this forum, other bike owners, magazines and dealers to finally get the R6. I figure to start off with a Joe Rocket jacket and gloves and was thinkin' between a Shoei, HJC and Arai lid. Though I know that I can't decide yet because of comfort and the lack of having a normal size head.

But here's what I'm looking for. I know that I need frame sliders and there are a couple of brands out there. I was looking for ones that give the better protection (ie: last longer than others). As well as any other suggestions that anyone has.

Oh, I figure it'll be over-board but does anyone have any suggestions about whether an alarm is worth it? I was actually thinkin' about maybe "Lo-Jack" cause there are a lot of bike thefts in my area. Any ideas?

Thanks,

G :twfrox:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, and might I add that although I told the guy at one dealer that it was my first bike, he was trying to push me towards the R1 or 'busa. I was like, "Yeah, right. I'd kill myself having never driven a bike before."

If anything, I figure if I get used to riding the R6 and wanted to upgrade, then do it then not start out on a 1000+cc bike.

Sorry for that lil' tidbit, but I figure people would laugh at that. I mean, I'm not young, well maybe (25 yrs old) but I'm certainly not stupid.

Grafixx

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok DT, I can guess that you like the R6 and from your pics you have one. I like 'em too, especially cause it didn't hurt my back when I was on it like the 600RR did. But the thing that I did like about the 600RR, though strictly cosmetic, was the undertail exhaust.

G

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Yeah, I'm too tired to type in what I recommend. I'm sure Captain will be all over it. What year is it? Proly an 05. I recommend getting a full system with a PC3. Well maybe after you get use to the bike. What color did you get? They make so much **** for that bike dude. If you are active duty military I got an awesome hook-up for Yamaha's or Honda's for that matter. This is what i would do and in this order. Gear, sliders,tankpad,get rid of stock blinkers and undertail, windscreen and then work on performance mods cuz by thais time you will be farely use to your bike. I'm sure a lot of other people will offer you a grocery list of mods and **** but I'm too tired. Sorry. Nice choice though.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Ok, my advice is to forget about "no-cut" frame sliders. Buy real frame sliders and cut the fairing. If you buy Vortex, you will only need to cut the right side fairing. You can get them from Speedwerks.

As for a helmet, have you tried Scorpion yet? Much cheaper than Shoei or Arai and much better quality than HJC.

Since you're in El Paso, I'm not sure if a Lo-Jack would be worth it. Will the cops go south of the border to get your bike back? If not, then I wouldn't bother spending the money on Lo-Jack. However, an alarm would at least give you a warning if someone is trying to jack your bike, but you better be close to it and better be able to protect yourself.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise Captain and DLITALIEN, it's greatly appreciated.

DLITALIEN : the bike, it's a 2005. Yes, I am military, however, I just got out. I still got the ID card though, they never asked for it back. Oh well, their mistake. And I'm gonna get a job on an Army base, don't know what I'm gonna get in at but I don't think it'll be too hard seein' as how I am a computer guy and they are always lookin' for IT people.

Captain : You see, the thing is that I don't know much about working on the bikes and I am the last person that I would trust about cutting the plasitcs on it. Anything that I get done will probably be professionally installed unless I get my friend who races in the southwest to do it, if he's in town when I'm there. Someone in an earlier post mentioned the lid brand that you did, "Scorpion". Are they good? Like comperable quality to Shoei and Arai? I saw they had an add in the bike mags, had like a "no fog face screen". Kinda good for me since at the current moment I wear glasses. That's what is limiting me to what I buy for my bike as far as lids go. I need to be able to fit my glasses under the lid. I'm lookin' into getting contacts, kinda just lazy.

I'm gonna take the safety classes and anything else that I can get into even if it means like track time to learn how to do like emergency maneuvers. As far as the alarm/lo-jack, well in the El Paso area, it's not that much about bikes going across the border, there is a group of riders, I believe called the "915 Gang", that supposidly (from what the lovely cops say) that has been going around messing with people and if you cross them, they tail you, steal your bike and take it into the middle of the desert and set it on fire. Not that they keep any parts or anything, they just burn the thing.

Anything else? Suggestion wise?

Thanks for all the information EVERYONE.

G

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Take the class!
You'll be glad you did.
After your ready take the advanced class.

Vortex sliders all the way.
Scorpion, designed by a X Arai designer.
Don't get the cheap one!
I cant remember the model but the price will tell.
Vents brake and liner come apart/out.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Cutting the fairing is quite simple, but you have to take your time. Measure twice and cut once. I measured once and had to cut twice. :lol: Here's what you do to cut the fairing:

Pull the fairing off and put putty (Play-Doh) on the inside over the spot that covers the upper engine mount

Remove the engine mount bolt and install the frame slider bolt, leaving it sticking out a bit (maybe 1/2" or so)

Reinstall the fairing, then remove the fairing again. Look at the indentation in the putty. Drill a pilot hole directly in the center of that indentation.

Put the fairing back on the bike and make sure the pilot hole is centered over the engine mount hole.

Remove the fairing again and now use a 2" hole saw to drill the hole in the fairing. Make sure you drill from the outside in and start slow. If you go from the inside out, you will possibly "grab" the sticker as you complete the hole and wrinkle/rip the sticker. Starting slow and from the outside will just cut the sticker.

As for helmet, I have the Scorpion Exo-700, which is approximately $200. Prior to learing about Scorpion, I was going to have to spend $5-600 on an Arai because nothing else fit my head right. I have not heard about the problems that jeeps mentioned about the Exo-400 series helmet, but I have not had any problems with my 700 after approximately 1200 miles. It was a bit snug at first and had a couple pressure points in front of my ears, but those have worked out over time. I also pull the cheekpads slightly forward as soon as I put on the helmet.

Definitely take the MSF class prior to buying a bike.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
R6 all the way... don't be stupid...which it sounds like you're not... those stealers are just trying to push you around... stand up to him and say hey listen... I banged your mom so I'll be the one tell you what's going on! :lol:

Other than that, it looks like Capt will be able to help you out on everything...

Don't go cheap on the helmet...it's the only brain you'll get!

Sliders... don't get steel or anything stupid like that... steel is stronger than the alum. frame...therefor it can bend the frame on a down. Also, don't get LP carbon inlays... get some type of eurothane or derlin!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information again guy. I can't tell you how helpful it is. I don't wanna go to a dealer to buy things or a parts place to buy things just to get ripped off cause you know how some of those places are.

I'm really glad that I found and joined this forum because at least I don't go into the parts and dealers with now knowledge like a squid, although I'm probably considered one! But seriously, the people at one dealer treated me different cause of the way that I walked in and the things that I said and asked. It was really amazing, the guys there thought that I was riding for months if not years.

I guess I can't say anything else but MANY THANKS and everything is appreciated beyond my comprehension.

Thanks,

Grafixx01 :twfrox:

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Education can work for you.
Just don't over do it and get in to deep in a subject.
Ask questions to them or us.
A real rider can pick up on a poser.
I had rather be a newbie than a poser.

Everybody should be educated on what they are spending money on.
Why should you listen to somebody that makes a living on sailing you something you don't need.

·
Registered
893 Posts
*Most* (not all) frame sliders will require a tad bit of cutting to the fairings. It's not that hard, as captain said, and the 2-piece vortex sliders are really cool. Should you happen to go down, you can replace each individual puck instead of having to buy a whole new set. They are decently priced from the beginning and will also save you $$$ in the long run.

·
Registered
96 Posts
having lived in elpaso for 6 months last year the shop there has about anything you can want. All brand of bikes and gear under of roof. Do they still have the race ducacti in the show room that bike was sweet! I would be more worried about all the panhandlers when you pull up at the light. Oyea FOXY kicks tell ever go?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fishman,

You're talking about Mr. Motorcycle. Now I thought that they are a very good dealer (I'm currently in Colorado Springs), but from what I was told from a friend who races, been riding for like 15yrs and racing for about 9 of them, Mr. Motorcycle is a rip-off. I don't know from personal experience though but I'm going to give him a try when I get back down there cause they are the only shop there.

As far as "foxys", I prefer "Jaguars" and "The Naked Herum". There was another along with "The Naked Herum" that got closed down because the owners were hiring 16-19yr old girls and tellng them for $125.00 or more "do whatever the customer asks that will make them happy" and if you can't figure it out bluntly, use your imagination!

G

1 - 20 of 26 Posts