Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my warranty runs out on my BMW's, I will perform all service :)
Picked up my K1200RS from its first major BMW service at 12,000 miles.
Cost $771 :shock: of that labor $579. San Francisco costs are about 20% higher than rest or country. 6000 mile service only costs $160 :cheers: Which is basically an oil change, computer update and safety check.
I do change my oil and filter every 3000 miles.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
jetskifast said:
When my warranty runs out on my BMW's, I will perform all service :)
Picked up my K1200RS from its first major BMW service at 12,000 miles.
Cost $771 :shock: of that labor $579. San Francisco costs are about 20% higher than rest or country. 6000 mile service only costs $160 :cheers: Which is basically an oil change, computer update and safety check.
I do change my oil and filter every 3000 miles.
I take those dealer recommended service very lightly. They are usually a way to get people back into the dealer for more money. They figure if you don't buy a new bike then they have to get your cash some other way. Here's the top 5 things you need to do to any bike...

1) Ride the hell out of it!
2) Change the oil at least every 3k or once a year for the good synthetics (IE: Amsoil); If changing it once a year, change the filter twice...
3) If carbed, get carbs cleaned and synced about every 3 years. Labor is cheap on this, especially if you take the carbs to the dealer off the bike.
4) If you have valve lash get that check every 10K or so.
5) See rule #1
:bike:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
yeah a buddy of mine picked up a 2003 Honda VTX 1300, and the dealer scheduled maint was at 500 miles...and would have cost him like 400.00.. :shock: He went into one of his forums for his ride, and everyone was like dude, just change the oil/filter, and dont beat it to death, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have no idea what the major service cost is on the Aprilia. The consensus is that if you keep the oil changed, the darned things rarely need anything at all. One of the dealerships was shocked that there was a valve out of adjustment on a customer bike after 24k miles...

Parts are cheap too! It's nice to have a Rotax motor. :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yeah, it's not like we are a bunch of Harley owners here. :lol: They have a rediculus maintance interval.. :bike:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I'm not one to bash on Harley's, I have thought of owning one before(then I slaped myself) but I hear to much from other ppl about all the maint and tightening of bolts and it justs seems like to much of a hassle. I will keep with my GSXR. :)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
I'm not one to bash on Harley's, I have thought of owning one before(then I slaped myself) but I hear to much from other ppl about all the maint and tightening of bolts and it justs seems like to much of a hassle. I will keep with my GSXR. :)
I hear that alot of Duc's have a similar maintance routine. Give me a good ole Jap bike that requires little foolin around and lots of power! :bike:

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have that guys here at the shop work on my bike. I don't know what it would cost if I didn't have an "in" here? :hyper:

·
Registered
137 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
My wife wants a Harley. I am trying to get her to see the light, cause you know who will be maintaining the stupid thing...

If she wants something high maintenance, what's wrong with an Italian sport bike?? :bike:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
CBR Rider said:
My wife wants a Harley. I am trying to get her to see the light, cause you know who will be maintaining the stupid thing...

If she wants something high maintenance, what's wrong with an Italian sport bike?? :bike:
my wife used to a harley nut..she used to work at Hooters, and the hogs would come in and take the girls for rides on them...she used to love them, now she's seeing the light, and wants to get a sportbike for her first ride.. :cheers: ..I told her, besides, we cant afford the maint. on them when you have to repair them every 5 minutes.. :shock:

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
I think we need a separate Harley bashing thread in Off Topic. :lol: :shutme
count me in as a charter member in that thread..LMAO...hhmm..thats a good idea boss :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gas Man said:
I hear that alot of Duc's have a similar maintance routine. Give me a good ole Jap bike that requires little foolin around and lots of power! :bike:
Jap bikes are not cheap to have serviced at dealerships :nonod:
Only time my bikes get dealer service, is when they are under warranty.
I actually enjoy doing my own service :thumbs:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
In that respect Harley and Japanese bikes are the same: expsensive to service. The difference, of course, is whether it's a planned service. :devilange

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
jetskifast said:
Jap bikes are not cheap to have serviced at dealerships :nonod:
Only time my bikes get dealer service, is when they are under warranty.
I actually enjoy doing my own service :thumbs:
I know but even when a HD is under warrenty, they have to pay for certain services that aren't covered under warrenty but required to kep it running. Like valve lash and such....

Got to love the Jap extended warrenties...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts