Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd seen someone (yet again) questioning the oft quoted conventional wisdom to stay away from the race replicas (R6, 600RR, ZX-6R, GSXR) when starting out as a newbie. Presuming that's reasonable, I was only able to find a note on Suzuki's site suggesting GSXR's and up were "engineered for experienced riders". The other manufacturers don't appear to have any guidance at all, which was pretty shocking to me.

Any thoughts on why its not a little more uniform (one way or the other)?

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
They are trying to sell bikes and don't want to scare anyone off...besides, when a squid wads a new bike, if he walks away, they see repeat customer!!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
bumblebee said:
They are trying to sell bikes and don't want to scare anyone off...besides, when a squid wads a new bike, if he walks away, they see repeat customer!!
Only if they have it paid down enough for insurance to cover it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
cigarretts tell you right on the packing that they will fcuk ur shiot up if you use them but ppl still do. sam with bikes, no one would car to read it. its america no one cares. ATV also has a warning sticker that no one under like 16 or 18 should opperate it but no one listens.

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
:iagree: i was racing a 420 long rod banshee when i was 16, i think the warning on those then was 18 and up, no one really listens to the warnings

·
Registered
667 Posts
Liability!!! The manufacturer, by using such warnings, is relieving themselves of any liability should a inexperienced rider injure/kill themselves while operating that particular vehicle. The same as the hot beverage warnings McDonalds now put on their coffee cups.

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
EIDROEDYR said:
Liability!!! The manufacturer, by using such warnings, is relieving themselves of any liability should a inexperienced rider injure/kill themselves while operating that particular vehicle. The same as the hot beverage warnings McDonalds now put on their coffee cups.
,= head of nail .= hammer. ;=EIDROEDYR's last statement

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
:withstupi

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
:withstupi

creates jobs for low voiced fast talkers to do that disclaimer mumble at the end of commercials.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EIDROEDYR said:
I would have bought that but the warning is lacking on the Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi sites. That's the part I'm lost on.

·
Registered
667 Posts
kanwisch said:
I would have bought that but the warning is lacking on the Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi sites. That's the part I'm lost on.
The warning, regardless of which manufacturer chooses to use it or not, is not effective in detering inexperienced riders from mounting their machines. It just means, "don't expect to sue us if you get hurt" is the intent. Don't base your bike choice on whether or not the manufacturer has a warning in place. I think your reading to much into that warning.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the inputs. None of this has anything really to do with my own decisions, since I've read and believe the experience of those who have been riding for 10+ years. Its that people regularly argue for the race replicas as starter bikes and I'd run across the warning in looking for real evidence. The anomaly of its not being consistently applied was interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts