Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost a full quart of Motul 5100 10W/40 in my garage. I couldn't get it where I live now, so I bought some Amsoil 10W/40.

Is my orphaned quart of $8 Motul oil a nice paperweight now or can I do anything with it?

Also... does it have a shelf life? It's at least a year old.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Let me interject before the oil gurus do. Hell yes you can mix that fine no shelf life oil with the Amsoil and call it good. I have mixed several types of oils before with no adverse reaction. Of course you might as well dump it out now because the oil nazis are not far behind me and they will kidnap your family and burn your house if you dare to even think about mixing the oil. You may be in danger already seeing as you posted this thread. I would recommend getting your immediate family to a safe house immediately if not sooner.. lol..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Too good MP! I would say put it in your car if you don't care about that. I personally wouldn't mix the oils in my MC. But then again I wouldn't do it in my car either...but that's just me. I'll somebody else take this one...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
since Im not an oil guru, im gonna bow out of this one till the previously mentioned oil nazi's :lol: chime in. I've never mixed oil in a bike, so I cant say for sure what harm if any it would do. I guess it would depend on how different the oils actually are. :confused:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Shh the oil nazis are coming.. Take cover man! You think this is a game! They are dead serious about this oil thing. I am going into the oil protection program. I once mentioned "alternative" fuels and they cut off my left pinkie. This is no game kids, oh no. These guys make hilter look like a kitten..

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
after that whole valvoline fiasco awhile back, yeah, ur right...run for cover!!!! :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
408 Posts
As long as they have similar ratings and one of them isn't an obscure synthetic base, you should be fine. I don't usually mix oils but that doesn't mean they won't mix.

Larry

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
larryg said:
As long as they have similar ratings and one of them isn't an obscure synthetic base, you should be fine. I don't usually mix oils but that doesn't mean they won't mix.

Larry

there we go..there's one oil god... next ?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
there we go..there's one oil god... next ?
I'm going to fall in with Larry on this one! Very well put and pretty much what I was thinking...

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
I'm going to fall in with Larry on this one! Very well put and pretty much what I was thinking...
and theirs the other.... geez u guys arent no fun tonite :lol:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Sorry, what did you want instead. I will take requests for a small amount of cash... :lol:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I definately agree if you had to choose between oil and filter definately the filter but I always do both. You get rid of the metal shavings, dirt, etc. that collect in your filter and oil.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
And if you are really concerned with the filter aspect spend the extra cash and get a Scotts oil filter. They run about $110 but do about 3 or 4 times better filtering than any other paper filter.

Here's a link on it: Scotts

Click on Product Index and then scroll down to Oil Filter. Read up, it's a good product. It would only take about 9 or 10 oil changes to get your money's worth of it. Twisty just ordered on for his race bike... :thumbs:

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the ratings and, while I cant' remember them now, they were slightly different. Both are MA of course, but one of them had a rating the other did not; both are synthetic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I definately agree if you had to choose between oil and filter definately the filter but I always do both. You get rid of the metal shavings, dirt, etc. that collect in your filter and oil.
*cough* wrong oil thread *cough*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts