Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MMI Question

What's up LarryG, I have a career question for you since you've been to MMI and all. I'm currently serving in the Air force as a SSgt aircraft engine mechanic. I've known about MMI for a couple of years. I'll be either getting out next year to attend MMI or reenlisting for another four years. My question is, if I attend how likely will I get a decent paying job. Like many other members, motorcycles are my passion and I want a career in the industry. But I'm married and need security so would MMI be a wise career move. Any insight on the school from a graduate would be greatly appreciated... :seeya: :confused:
P.S. What about distance learning mechanic certification schools???? Are they any good? Worth my time and money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Jayluvstuntin said:
What's up LarryG, I have a career question for you since you've been to MMI and all. I'm currently serving in the Air force as a SSgt aircraft engine mechanic. I've known about MMI for a couple of years. I'll be either getting out next year to attend MMI or reenlisting for another four years. My question is, if I attend how likely will I get a decent paying job. Like many other members, motorcycles are my passion and I want a career in the industry. But I'm married and need security so would MMI be a wise career move. Any insight on the school from a graduate would be greatly appreciated... :seeya: :confused:
P.S. What about distance learning mechanic certification schools???? Are they any good? Worth my time and money?
Wow, that's a tough one...it's much easier to explain how things work. In all honesty, an education at MMI is like any other education, it's what you make of it. I can pretty much guarantee you will not get a decent paying job right out of school. I graduated top of my class and the best pay I could find was just about $10/hr. However, if you prove yourself worthy and you work for somebody that recognizes your abilities, you can increase that quickly. Working on a commission structure will allow you to earn more as you produce more. If you end up in an area with a strong motorcycling community and a long riding season, you should be able to do well.

As far as the quality of the education...as I said, it's what you make of it. I saw students get by that I wouldn't trust washing my laundry and I saw students that will be very successful in the motorcycle industry. MMI gives you the basic theories and introductory hands on experience for all aspects of a motorcycle. In addition, their manufacturer specific programs are supported directly by the manufacturers. When I was there, the Harley program was very well organized and I hear the other ones are getting stronger.

Feel free to email me any specific questions if you would like.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
since we are on this topic, if u dont mind my question as well here briefly..is it that hard to land a job right outta school, in a dealership fixing bikes? i've often thought about this route for a career, or a change in career..but instead went into computers for now... :rolleyes:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Yeah and you're regrettin it like a mofo... :lol:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Welcome to the site Jayluvstuntin! :cheers:

I split this thread off into its own topic since it's not something we've discussed in recent memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah and you're regrettin it like a mofo... :lol:
Dont remind me... :rolleyes:


but hey, its never too late to change careers if the opportunity presents itself..so we'll see
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Yeah, I nevered planned to be in the job I am, but the PC field wasn't looking good so I kindly backed out, when I was in college and then this came up and i was all over it. The company is great and pays me very well for what I have to do....so it's all gravy!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah, I nevered planned to be in the job I am, but the PC field wasn't looking good so I kindly backed out, when I was in college and then this came up and i was all over it. The company is great and pays me very well for what I have to do....so it's all gravy!!
chris, can I be your apprentice ? :thumbs:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Yeah, sure!! Just move out here and I'll see what I can do!!!

I could have you put in for a pipeline system controller if you want to work near macungie/allentown area!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah, sure!! Just move out here and I'll see what I can do!!!

I could have you put in for a pipeline system controller if you want to work near macungie/allentown area!!
just get me outta york!! thats all I care about...new scenery, change in lifestyle & career..im seriously thinking about it..trust me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
just get me outta york!! thats all I care about...new scenery, change in lifestyle & career..im seriously thinking about it..trust me.

Your going to move away. WTF. I will have no one to ride with. Just some damn squids in the area. Damn. I'm moving as well. Hell with it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
DJ..u know i've been toying around with this idea for awhile now, and its seems more intriuging the more I talk about it w/ missy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
DJ..u know i've been toying around with this idea for awhile now, and its seems more intriuging the more I talk about it w/ missy..

I know. Hey, you can do this and then you won't think about it so much.
















































STOP TALKING TO HER ABOUT IT!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
york sucks.. i need a change.. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
408 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
since we are on this topic, if u dont mind my question as well here briefly..is it that hard to land a job right outta school, in a dealership fixing bikes? i've often thought about this route for a career, or a change in career..but instead went into computers for now... :rolleyes:
Yes, you are more than likely going to be able to land a job right out of school with a dealer. But don't be surprised if you start out doing bike assembly as they come out of the crates or tire/lube tech or tool bitch for a while. It's called paying your dues, once you get the opportunity to prove yourself is when it gets fun.

My goal was to get into racing. Straight out of school I was offered positions with two national-level (mid-pack) AMA 600 supersport teams. One in Dallas and one in Chicago. Since my wife and I were from the Chicago area, I decided to take the job here so she could hang with our friends while I was on the road. Of course, the team I was with had our sponsorship pulled 3/4 of the way through the season so I stayed at the shop and concentrated on customer bikes. I ended up doing most of the dyno tuning and found that to be one of my strongest skills.

I actually left motorcycles a few years ago to concentrate on a CIS degree. I ended up switching to a business administration degree because it fit the job I had at the time better than CIS did. Of course, as soon as I got the degree, I lost my job and couldn't find another so that's when I started Base 10. I figured with the motorcycle and business knowledge, I should do OK. In March of this year I landed the gig working on Maserati's and Ferrari's so I am doing that for a steady paycheck while I groom my bike business on the side. I am very close to moving the business out of my garage and into a leased space and I am finding my well-rounded background helpful.

I hope that offers some insight, feel free to ask any other questions about this.

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Thanks for the info larry. Yeah I understand about paying dues, I've done that before in my industry as well, on all levels, and know its just part of the gig in starting out. Ive been into motorcycles all my life and have always thought about doing it, but its just taking that first step thats alittle intimidating. York is a hotbed for bikes in general, sport & cruisers, with the harley plant here, and tons of sportbike riders in the tri county/state area, but it is kinda saturated job market here for the most part...and relocating isnt that big of a deal. but I just wanted some info as to how one usually starts out being fresh outta school and looking to get their feet wet in a new career. I'll probably hit you up with some more ? in the near future..

Thanks! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
Gas Man said:
Yeah, I nevered planned to be in the job I am, but the PC field wasn't looking good so I kindly backed out, when I was in college and then this came up and i was all over it. The company is great and pays me very well for what I have to do....so it's all gravy!!
Things are different from me. Here was my story:

back when I was in kindergarten I dreamed of the days I could mop up other people's sh!t for a living and bust my ass to get to a mid-level position in the corporate ladder and do the same brain numbing inane bullsh!t every day for a paycheck that barely pays my bills, child support and ex-wife's truck payment that her new husband drives. Man I am living the f**king dream buddy.. Hit that nail right on the head.. lol.. If you have one iota of mercy in your soul please shoot me.. :D

Ok for real though yeah I nevered planned on being in the job I am at either. I just kind of ended up here through a long and complicated path. Seriously my job isn't too bad - I am always doing something different, the pay is pretty good and it is definately challenging. I am thinking of expanding my horizons though as well - maybe finish my associate's degree in CAM, take a welding class or two, another auto body class, then maybe motorcycle mechanic just so I can work on my own bizike. You can never stop learning. I constantly try to learn something new.

As far as moving let me let you in on a little secret. Alot of people "hate" Michigan and move to California, Florida, etc. Within 2 years they move back. Or I go see them and they "hate" Florida or California. My point is - it is not where you live it is what you make of it. Think about that. But if you consider moving stay away from Detroit - the auto industry is dying, the fab shops dying, industry dying - there will be a short lived increase due to the Superbowl in 06 and a couple of other events through 09 after that we are f**ked. 67% of the buildings including residential and commercial are vacant in Detroit - does that tell you something? Try Phoenix, Louisville or Nashville - those areas are blowing up right now. Otherwise stay put and make the best of it. Best of luck to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
As far as moving let me let you in on a little secret. Alot of people "hate" Michigan and move to California, Florida, etc. Within 2 years they move back. Or I go see them and they "hate" Florida or California. My point is - it is not where you live it is what you make of it. Think about that. But if you consider moving stay away from Detroit - the auto industry is dying, the fab shops dying, industry dying - there will be a short lived increase due to the Superbowl in 06 and a couple of other events through 09 after that we are f**ked. 67% of the buildings including residential and commercial are vacant in Detroit - does that tell you something? Try Phoenix, Louisville or Nashville - those areas are blowing up right now. Otherwise stay put and make the best of it. Best of luck to you.
Yup, i know what you mean...i've just spent my entire life, in the same town, seeing the same crap, with the same people, and the same overall BS for way too long. The job I have is actually a pretty good one, and the company is stable and growing....I dont mind working on computers/internet..it can be challenging and rewarding..but Im just looking for a change, so is missy...alot of bad memories in this town..from divorces, to family deaths, friends that screwed me, all kinds of BS that would take up a novels worth of writing to detail. Im not the biggest wrench head in the world, but I can learn, and pick up on stuff pretty quick. i dont know if I could be able to learn it while doing something else like this, till i graduated, but I'd be up to try if the situation presented itself.

York is just boring..dont know how much better to say it. my brother and sister have their own businesses and my 'rents are retired so all they do is travel and chill out... I've got some friends, like DJ, CharlieMav, Thumpinninja,etc..and that helps alot...but still, sometime, it's just time..u know what I mean. ?
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Yup, i know what you mean...i've just spent my entire life, in the same town, seeing the same crap, with the same people, and the same overall BS for way too long. The job I have is actually a pretty good one, and the company is stable and growing....I dont mind working on computers/internet..it can be challenging and rewarding..but Im just looking for a change, so is missy...alot of bad memories in this town..from divorces, to family deaths, friends that screwed me, all kinds of BS that would take up a novels worth of writing to detail. Im not the biggest wrench head in the world, but I can learn, and pick up on stuff pretty quick. i dont know if I could be able to learn it while doing something else like this, till i graduated, but I'd be up to try if the situation presented itself.

York is just boring..dont know how much better to say it. my brother and sister have their own businesses and my 'rents are retired so all they do is travel and chill out... I've got some friends, like DJ, CharlieMav, Thumpinninja,etc..and that helps alot...but still, sometime, it's just time..u know what I mean. ?
I'm with ya MP! Michigan isn't that bad. Sure we have winter and all the crap. But we don't have all the other natural disasters that alot of those other places have. I always try to make the best of it. Do you think I wanted to move up to the Flint area....heck no! But I'm here and makin life good.

Matt, that last paragraph really makes a good advertisement for coming out there... :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top