Two Wheel Forums banner

More music for the musically challenged

2K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  JK_DILLA 
#1 ·
#9 ·
I like everything in music so yes, I like them now. Now I gotta see if the stupid stores around here have any of their albums.

I like Ska, anyone know that music? The girls I know from NY, GA and CO are really into it. They were surprised when I listened to it and were like, "You just like it cause it breaks the ice with girls!" I was like, "No, I actually like it a lot."

#11 ·
JK_DILLA said:
i listened to ska for a little bit. Dated a girl that was really into ska too, but it didnt grab me. Band i listened to the most was Madness. Whaddaya think of them Graff?
Um, never heard of them. I was thinkin' more like:

Five Iron Frenzy Easy Big Fella
Less Than Jake Mustard Plug
Jonny Socko Big D & the Kids Table
Reel Big Fish Buck - O - Nine
Springheeled Jack Goldfinger
Jeffries Fan Club Mest
Skanic The Hippos
Slow Gherkin Day 19
Hempcat Edna's Goldfish

#15 ·
Grafixx01 said:
I like everything in music so yes, I like them now. Now I gotta see if the stupid stores around here have any of their albums.

I like Ska, anyone know that music? The girls I know from NY, GA and CO are really into it. They were surprised when I listened to it and were like, "You just like it cause it breaks the ice with girls!" I was like, "No, I actually like it a lot."
Technically, they are a 3rd/4th wave ska band. I've been listening to ska since I was little and don't really know how I got into it. Over the years I've seen the Skatalites, the Specials, Hepcat, and a ****load of other ska legends.

Go out and get Dr. Ring Ding and the Senior All Stars. . Dandemite Ska. You boomba ras clot. :whore: Oh, and no collection's complete without Desmond Dekker.

I also like roots reggae, dub, and 80s dancehall/ragga. The best reggae album ever is Black Uhuru, "Red," IMO. Well, maybe aside from the Wailers' "Burnin'," and "Catch a Fire."

JK, Madness was great. They might have the greatest Ska song ever, "One Step Beyond." :smash:

#17 ·
Grafixx01 said:
Um, never heard of them. I was thinkin' more like:

Five Iron Frenzy Easy Big Fella
Less Than Jake Mustard Plug
Jonny Socko Big D & the Kids Table
Reel Big Fish Buck - O - Nine
Springheeled Jack Goldfinger
Jeffries Fan Club Mest
Skanic The Hippos
Slow Gherkin Day 19
Hempcat Edna's Goldfish
I've seen a lot of those bands, and Mustard Plug a couple times.

Check out Fishbone, maybe Fishbone 101 (compelation CD), Skavoovie and the Epitones, the Scofflaws, Bad Manners, and the Toasters.

#18 · (Edited)
JK_DILLA said:
Never heard of em? Ive heard of a few on your list but you forgot operation ivy. Is ska big in NY? I just dont see the draw...myself.
I've seen Rancid, but was too young to ever see them. Operation Ivy was incredible. :whore:

Ska was huge in New York, but it's kind of died out ever since the Bosstones, etc, sold out and it got big again in the mid to late 90s. Moon Ska, the largest ska label in New York owned by the lead singer of the Toasters, was based in NYC.

When it was more underground it was very punk, not mainstream. (the original skinheads in England dressed to emulate the rude boys in 60's Jamaica. Skinny black ties, black suits, suspenders, bald heads. Aryan skinheads adopted the look and turned it into something it's not. The black and white checkers you see in a lot of ska logos represent unity between blacks and whites)

Peter Tosh on the left is the epitome of a "rude boy." Bob Marley's in the middle, and Bunny Wailer's on the right.

Laurel Aitken

the Scofflaws (90s NYC ska)

#19 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
You forgot the very best of Ska....

Skankin Pickle!!!!!!!!!!!!

They rocked. I used to play trumpet for a ska band.
No doubt about it! "My hair looks like pasta, I think I'm a rasta.. I'm fakin' Jamaican." :lol: What happened to Bruce Lee? He did a solo album with Less Than Jake and then fell off the face of the earth.

They had an album where they did a bunch of covers of bands like Bad Brains, etc. I'm gonna have to dig that up.

Trumpet in a ska band would be badazz, that's awesome man.

#23 ·
pickle.of.doom said:
Heh... funny.. I went from ska to death metal :D
I listen to a lot of ****. . punk, ska, hardcore (? like Bad Brains), rap, stoner rock, classic rock, blues, jazz, rockabilly, industrial, etc.

Never got into death metal, though. Although we'd listen to a little Testament or Deicide in highschool from time to time, mixed with our Public Enemy.

Bad Brains to this day was the hardest rocking concert I've ever seen, it was unbelievable. I had bruises all over for 3 weeks. lol

HR is a f'n maniac.

Still, from everything I've seen and read, the craziest of the crazy was GG Allin. Do a Google search on that nutcase. :crazy:

When I lived in Florida we used to see Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids quite a bit since they were a local band. Trent Reznor got a hold of them and watered them down, they suck now IMO. But, there's a ****load of good music and bands in all genres out there. That's why when people try to get me to listen to Green Day or Josh Groban, my blood pressure goes up about 4 notches. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.