Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im getting my liscense here soon, so i figure i need to start researching what type of bike to buy. I am an avid Jeep enthuiast, a quickly after buying my first wrangler figured out there is certain years, and generations to avoid. I can assume it the same for sport bikes. I'm leaning towards mid to late 90's Ninja or Katana. Is there any certain years to avoid? Or is there another bike i should look for?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping for more like year ranges of specific models, if possible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another question, how common is it to purchase an older bike and do newer/bigger engine swaps into it, if possible at all? We do it all the time in the "jeep world" as im getting ready to throw a stroker motor under my hood .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,845 Posts
lloyd369 said:
Here's another question, how common is it to purchase an older bike and do newer/bigger engine swaps into it, if possible at all? We do it all the time in the "jeep world" as im getting ready to throw a stroker motor under my hood .
why? man oh man what the hell are you building frankenstein or buying a bike? Why a 1990s bike? Hell you can get a 1-3 year old bike for cheap enough with low miles.. Why buy an old headache? Plus most shops, due to liability, won't work on anything more than 5 years old..
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
You can get about anything... say late 90's to current... R6, SV650s, 6R, F4, F3...they are all good seriously. The dependability on the bike has more to do with the owner!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mudpuppy said:
why? man oh man what the hell are you building frankenstein or buying a bike? Why a 1990s bike? Hell you can get a 1-3 year old bike for cheap enough with low miles.. Why buy an old headache? Plus most shops, due to liability, won't work on anything more than 5 years old..
first i like to tinker with things, give me soemthing to do. besides i probably wouldnt be taking it to the shop anyways, i'd learn to work on it myself and probably start buying any specialty tools you need, the same way i did with car engines. I guess you biker guys dont share the same mcguyver mentaliy us jeepers have.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
BUZZZ!!! You are wrong sir!! Many of us do!! The only thing that the rest of the world doesn't understand is the "Jeep Thing". I know I sure don't... have drove and buried many jeeps... I no likey!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,314 Posts
i understand the jeep thing. and if interchangeability is what you want then look GSXR. 01-03 i think are the most similar AND first years of FI. (750 FI in 2000) Bikes dont respond as well to swapping as jeeps do. Example: Switching a model 20 for a dana 44 is easy on jeeps, but a gixxer swing arm to a honda swingarm isnt as straight forward or benefitting.

i dont know any lemon years for Kawis, but all years triumph tt600 are lemon years so stay away even if its a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JK_DILLA said:
i understand the jeep thing. and if interchangeability is what you want then look GSXR. 01-03 i think are the most similar AND first years of FI. (750 FI in 2000) Bikes dont respond as well to swapping as jeeps do. Example: Switching a model 20 for a dana 44 is easy on jeeps, but a gixxer swing arm to a honda swingarm isnt as straight forward or benefitting.

i dont know any lemon years for Kawis, but all years triumph tt600 are lemon years so stay away even if its a deal.
Thanks for some useful advice, as opposed to

why? man oh man what the hell are you building frankenstein or buying a bike? Why a 1990s bike? Hell you can get a 1-3 year old bike for cheap enough with low miles.. Why buy an old headache? Plus most shops, due to liability, won't work on anything more than 5 years old..
Oh by the way, we do one ton axles here.....
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top